The Hodge...4-3-19

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
What a morning at the Hodge...Started off really slow (as was predicted by friends)...Then switched to the trusted Senkos...Fish after fish for a good 2 hours for Jim & I...Jim landed a beautiful 5 3/4 lb'er...Then it starts getting windy...So fishing the back of the boat, I needed something that I could stay in contact with...Switched to a 1/8 oz bullet weight, Texas rigged, $1.96 a bag Wal-Mart Yum creature bait...Bingo.. 8-1 lb'er......Battle royal from this old girl...Released unharmed...:blush:

.024.JPG033.JPG016.JPG018.JPG009.JPG006.JPG

Last edited:
Steve, Gotta stop with the background shots unless you wanna give your spots away LOL. It means nada to me because I know the lake

Hell Fred....Guys were fishing around us and never got bit...Last week we were at the other end of the lake...But with the new clarity of the water and 2-3' drop...I just had a gut feeling about this stretch....I guess if I was still a tournament guy, it may matter...;)

Epic catch Steve. But you’re not supposed to catch fish on those cheap lures!!! Lol

Actually Kevin, Yum makes some pretty good creature baits....Their senkos don't sink nearly as well as Yamamoto's, but with a split shot or weighted hook, they're not bad...Basically, a "do nothing" bait.

Actually Kevin, Yum makes some pretty good creature baits....Their senkos don't sink nearly as well as Yamamoto's, but with a split shot or weighted hook, they're not bad...Basically, a "do nothing" bait.
I have a lot of Yum stuff too. My problem is I’m a sucker for the latest high dollar stuff. As you proved it’s mostly about finding the fish and presenting it well. BTW I had four hookups and landed two in about two hours there the other day when I contacted you. From shore with light line is tough when they’re in the sticks.

I have a lot of Yum stuff too. My problem is I’m a sucker for the latest high dollar stuff. As you proved it’s mostly about finding the fish and presenting it well. BTW I had four hookups and landed two in about two hours there the other day when I contacted you. From shore with light line is tough when they’re in the sticks.

Yep, Kevin...Lots of sticks...Switched from 8 ib. fluorocarbon to 8 lb German Camo line...Still useing a light stick with Shimano spinner for Senkos...The big fish I had 12 lb. green Ande...Had me in the jungle right off the bat, but was able to horse her up to the top...Pretty much just held on from there.

Reactions: WaterDawg
Too funny, Kevin...I still probably have a 100 of them and other calico baits from that era....lol
Scampi’s were the first popular plastic tail bait I remember ever seeing. They were so effective when they first came out. Then Scrounger, then Mojo and the whole soft plastic bass bait market exploded into what it is today. Remember Worm King? The first swim bait I remember.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu