The Wall

Shadowlawnskysthelimit

Mar 5, 2021
Took my Uncle and a buddy, Joe, from work out Saturday night . Joe has been on many Party boats and multi day trips but never fished the Wall.
Got out about 5:30; with a incoming tide we started on the inside of the Long Beach Wall for about 1 hour with nothing to speak of. Moved to the outside to find the fish biting good. Moving was a good decision ! We had a pretty much wide open bite for 3+ hours. My buddy caught this 5.89 Calico for the biggest fish of the night and a dozen or so others.
At one point I went 8 for 8 casts; I caught about 35 fish throughout the night. About 10:45 pm I had a subtle bite, set the hook and could never stop whatever it was. It was no Calico; cuz it took off running from me at the front of the boat running the trolling motor towards the open ocean. I couldn’t stop it and couldn’t turn the handle on the reel. Tried to loosen the drag from locked down but wasn’t fast enough before it broke the 25lb mono I was using with a 6” swimbait. Wish I would have at least seen it !!!
Moved a little after 11 to just below L10, with the fish still biting. Headed in just after midnight; kept a few eaters for the bbq, the rest were all released.
So glad to be able to spend time with my Uncle and to treat my buddy to a night on the Wall.F9D1538D-9E4D-4AA4-AD11-C2E7AECC9630.jpeg1641C427-2741-4F84-A283-DA8EA1E2DD7B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice I use to fish the wall a lot when i had my star craft. I hooked some threshers its that time of year

Awesome! Sounds like a great night! Congrats. I have fished the wall in the past but never at night. Sounds fun! What size lead heads do you use out there? Was there a preferred color on the swimbaits?

Nimrod, threw 3/4 oz. swimbait leadheads most of the night. Color really didn't matter most of the night, but for a while anything with red flake was doing well..

Reeled in a 21 ft shark out there years ago. Was on my friends open bow bayliner. Just felt like dead weight reeling it in. Once it came up next to the boat we just looked at it dumb found it was as long as his boat. it just sat there for a bit then just shuck it's head the line broke and it swam off. All Louie could say was you don't catch many fish but when you do they are monsters. In the end we got a good laugh out of it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu