Things you wish you knew sooner...

180ls1

Nov 2, 2020
Poway
I feel like "I wish I knew that sooner" could be the story of my hunting career and possibly cooking "career" lol. However, I've never really learned to cook wild game half decent. What are some of your favorite ways to reduce the game flavor? More specifically for ground elk/deer/pig. Unfortunately, my wife has a food allergy to garlic/onion/spicy so I am left without the use of those, if you know a substitute there I am all ears!

I feel like "I wish I knew that sooner" could be the story of my hunting career and possibly cooking "career" lol. However, I've never really learned to cook wild game half decent. What are some of your favorite ways to reduce the game flavor? More specifically for ground elk/deer/pig. Unfortunately, my wife has a food allergy to garlic/onion/spicy so I am left without the use of those, if you know a substitute there I am all ears!
First of all on lets say elk or venison, remove all the fat and sinew, the white fibrous tissue, all of it. If you still have the problem, either soak meat in milk or put the meat, cut in serving sizes
in the frig. on a wire rack with a plate under it for a day or even two and let all the blood drain, actually it's not blood, it's water and myoglobin, giving the liquid a pink or even red color. As far as your wife issue goes, fix hers the way she can eat it and fix yours the way you like it. Personally, I mostly use only salt and pepper.

Take this for what it is. I like the flavor of game, deer and duck being my two favorites. Covering up the flavor is not part of the deal. Elk is very bland. You may want to start there. Seasoning etc. is to enhance flavor or impart flavor.

I get what you are trying to accomplish, just not sure how to do it.

One of the key ways to lesson the "game flavor" is to manage the meat properly out in the field. If you do this, it will help. Some animals just have a propensity to have a more gamey flavor than others.

I am no help, I am sure of that.

Reactions: 180ls1
First of all on lets say elk or venison, remove all the fat and sinew, the white fibrous tissue, all of it. If you still have the problem, either soak meat in milk or put the meat, cut in serving sizes
in the frig. on a wire rack with a plate under it for a day or even two and let all the blood drain, actually it's not blood, it's water and myoglobin, giving the liquid a pink or even red color. As far as your wife issue goes, fix hers the way she can eat it and fix yours the way you like it. Personally, I mostly use only salt and pepper.

Interesting. I had no idea about the water/blood. I always threw it in the pan when cooking it up.

I cook in more of a meal prep manner and am a bit too lazy to try and keep mine separate from hers and deal with the extra clean-up that entails unfortunately otherwise that would be great.

"Wet" aging game in a cooler was game changer. I let it set on ice with ice on top, draining water 2 to 3 times a day....adding new ice as needed. Usually 5 to 7 days.

I also use pork belly for my grind...and I bet a pork shoulder would do more of what you want.

But yeah I would make sure to have no fat or sinew in your grind if you can't season the meat.

Take this for what it is. I like the flavor of game, deer and duck being my two favorites. Covering up the flavor is not part of the deal. Elk is very bland. You may want to start there. Seasoning etc. is to enhance flavor or impart flavor.

One of the key ways to lesson the "game flavor" is to manage the meat properly out in the field. If you do this, it will help. Some animals just have a propensity to have a more gamey flavor than others.

I've never been one to really dig that flavor, unfortunately. I think I've only had 1 bull (winter harvest) that tasted tough. Otherwise, everything really tastes pretty good, even our local deer.

"Wet" aging game in a cooler was game changer. I let it set on ice with ice on top, draining water 2 to 3 times a day....adding new ice as needed. Usually 5 to 7 days.

I also use pork belly for my grind...and I bet a pork shoulder would do more of what you want.

But yeah I would make sure to have no fat or sinew in your grind if you can't season the meat.
Good to know. Thanks!

Do you wet age bone in? Including the backstraps, loins, and neck meat?

Actually field game care is the most important advice you could give. Without it, you have garbage in garbage out scenario.

Reactions: NBK
Good to know. Thanks!

Do you wet age bone in? Including the backstraps, loins, and neck meat?

Wet age the quarters on the bone if possible. Night and day difference on tenderness. BTW the flat iron steak is the BEST cut on an elk. I do whatever I can to avoid shooting the scapula now. But after wet aging my last 3 elk that way, I will never go back.

I usually pull the fillets and backstraps and process them first. Followed by items that are mostly ground (neck, rib meat, front quarters, etc) and I usually save the rear quarters for last.

Garlic and Onion are staples in my cooking, so removing them would be tough but I would just look up ground beef recipes and experiment. Removing ingredients your wife cannot eat or finding substitutes.

- Lettuce Wraps (https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/lettuce-cups-with-tofu-and-beef-recipe2-1953242) just remove garlic / onion from recipe
- Could you make your own marinara sauce without garlic / onion?
- Meatloaf removing items you can't eat?
- Brown meat properly (get it completely dry, look up process - most people unintentionally "boil" their meat in a pan since it has water on it)

Reactions: Smokey58 and 180ls1
Wet age the quarters on the bone if possible. Night and day difference on tenderness. BTW the flat iron steak is the BEST cut on an elk. I do whatever I can to avoid shooting the scapula now. But after wet aging my last 3 elk that way, I will never go back.

I usually pull the fillets and backstraps and process them first. Followed by items that are mostly ground (neck, rib meat, front quarters, etc) and I usually save the rear quarters for last.

Garlic and Onion are staples in my cooking, so removing them would be tough but I would just look up ground beef recipes and experiment. Removing ingredients your wife cannot eat or finding substitutes.

- Lettuce Wraps (https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/lettuce-cups-with-tofu-and-beef-recipe2-1953242) just remove garlic / onion from recipe
- Could you make your own marinara sauce without garlic / onion?
- Meatloaf removing items you can't eat?
- Brown meat properly (get it completely dry, look up process - most people unintentionally "boil" their meat in a pan since it has water on it)

Interesting. I'll try and give the wet aging a shot.

I didn't know about the drying. I've literally been "boiling" 100% of the meat lol.

I'll work on some of those recipes. Luckily they make "low fodmap" seasonings that she can eat which have been really helpful.

SOAK IT AND SMOKE IT OR A GRINDER SASSAGE GRANDKID EAT THE GRIND IN SEVERAL MEALS ADDING IT TO SPAGETTI, TACOS ECT.

What do you soak it in?

I've done the pineapple juice soak and it helped tremendously to tenderize the meat.

Not a fan of wild game meat...it's Butterballs and farmer John sausage for me...As far as venison goes..the neighbors or ranch hands get it...I just like to kill stuff..

• Haha
Reactions: 180ls1
As far as reducing the "game" flavor, to me the MOST IMPORTANT thing is to not overcook the meat. As far as I'm concerned, anything over Medium Rare is too much. The meat will just get more gamey the more you overcook it. As far as seasoning, I just use salt and pepper. I can always put some Lawry's or something else after it is cooked

Adam,

Invest in a Jaccard...It is a game changer....Amazon, $19.89...... :blush:

The tenderizing of game meet is one of the keys of breaking down the dense and sometimes "Gamey" taste...I can make waterfowl taste like steak with spices and rubs....The picture is rabbit...Great for doves and most any dark meat as well......;)

ps...Get the 32 blade like the one in the picture.......:blush:

.Jaccard.JPG

Reactions: 180ls1 and duck-boy
Bought a Jaccard a few months ago and tried it on some tough cuts in the freezer. Penatration of seasoning got better but still chewy meat in the end. Tried marinating for awhile and straight tenderizeing not much difference IMO.

^^ This ^^. Deer and Elk, 135-138. never over 140 degrees.
That is one of the few things I have learned.
Adam,

Invest in a Jaccard...It is a game changer....Amazon, $19.89...... :blush:

The tenderizing of game meet is one of the keys of breaking down the dense and sometimes "Gamey" taste...I can make waterfowl taste like steak with spices and rubs....The picture is rabbit...Great for doves and most any dark meat as well......;)

ps...Get the 32 blade like the one in the picture.......:blush:

.View attachment 55394
Ill check that out. Thanks!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu