Thinking about thinning the rifle herd.

Handgun

Jun 28, 2014
Imperial Valley
I have a Mosin-Nagant that I will probably shoot up all the ammo I have for and then sell because it's not very accurate and has a goofy safety, etc.

I have a Savage Edge in .223, no complaints. Just got the stuff to reload for it. I've loaded thousands of pistol round but this will be my first go around with rifle rounds. I use this rifle the most because I mostly hunt small game and varmints.

I have a Howa 1500 .30-06 which is a pretty cool rifle and seems to have potential to be very accurate, kind of an underdog rifle or unsung hero. Same factory as Weatherby if I'm not mistaken. I don't have much use for it since I don't hunt anything very big, although I have had some interest in getting set up to reload for it and trying to load light bullets for it for coyotes... But that's all pretty much pointless due to the rifle below...

Lastly I have a new Ruger M77 Hawkeye compact stainless laminate in .260 Remington that I've inherited on the condition that I don't sell it. I'm thinking about making this kind of my go to one gun once I get set up to reload for it. And get a good scope for it.

I would really like an AR in something like 6 mm, Aeon's magic unicorn crap on a stick. Something that I can keep on target in recoil and make multiple shots on multiple coyotes or on the run but the money just isn't there and won't be for probably a pretty good long while. Ain't starving or broke but I got other stuff I got to spend money on and save it for.

The 260 should be good for deer should I decide to go there and should work for yotes, especially since I want to try to stretch the yardage on shots. I can always have the 223 for a back up as well. That reminds me, I like that the 223 has magazines and don't like that the 260 doesnt, oh well. I did find out that the Howa can be converted but I don't have much use for it. So I guess basically I'm looking at selling the 06 and the Mosin.

What do y'all think?

I agree. Is the Mosin-Nagant an M44 or an earlier model? because depending on the build (most Mosin-Nagants in america are a mix between Russian, Czech, Chinese, and Romanian pieces) then it could be worth a hell of a lot more than an $89 dollar price tag from big 5...Some day. As far as the Howa, I'm not too familiar with your model but I have seen the one at Big 5 that comes with the Bi-pod and Magazine in .308, it looks cool and the reviews online are pretty good too. I think they would be a lot cooler if they had heavier barrels. Just my opinion, I think you should hang on to it. Like most firearms, it might have a specific use that you just haven't discovered yet 8)

As far as an AR, I couldn't recommend a better platform for small game and varmint. having a small caliber round that is low recoil and semi-auto is so ideal for coyotes. Especially when you call in multiple. Unless you want the challenge of a bolt action, which I have fun with also

I think ya'll are right. I have the room, a bit of ammo for each, and they're not worth enough to make much difference if I sell them.

Thanks

...looks like they're worth a lot more now...managed to bounce a steel jacketed russian bullet around in the branches of a dead dry hard mesquite tree and back into my forehead. Not fond of that gun anymore. Rung my bell good, bled all over, urgent care, no problems besides pride. She's got a real nice trigger for a Mosin.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu