Trail cam question

HortoTheSlayer

May 17, 2018
Boise Idaho
Looking at picking up a Wildgame Terra 12 game camera. It is 12mp and records with 480p, illumination range is 60FT. Would this be a good starter cam? Not trying to spend too much but found some spots while hunting this season that I'd like to try and place a cam at. It's on sale for $38. Any thoughts? Is 12mp good?

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Looking at picking up a Wildgame Terra 12 game camera. It is 12mp and records with 480p, illumination range is 60FT. Would this be a good starter cam? Not trying to spend too much but found some spots while hunting this season that I'd like to try and place a cam at. It's on sale for $38. Any thoughts? Is 12mp good?
I haven't used those. But for the price.
Good to go. Good starter camera.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
That's plenty good to start with....

Watch out though, trail cams are ADDICTIVE..!!!

You may start with 1 or 2 you THINK.. next thing you know you have 16 of them and that's only cuz you haven't bought 20....YET.!

I will leave it at that.... :)

See if you can find em with 80ft range. And pay attention to the listed trigger speed. I noticed when the specs *seemed* similar but price was significantly different... the cheaper one would have a sh!tty trigger speed compared to the other one.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
That's plenty good to start with....

Watch out though, trail cams are ADDICTIVE..!!!

You may start with 1 or 2 you THINK.. next thing you know you have 16 of them and that's only cuz you haven't bought 20....YET.!

I will leave it at that.... :)

Hahaha thanks for the warning Bill! I can definitely see how it can become a "problem"

I always get the lower end ones just in case someone takes it and I won't be bothered that much.

Also, get familiar with the cam settings. I learned the hard way... it sux going back after a month to get cam all excited only to find you forgot to power it on or check battery life, ect. ect.

If you're on a budget I'd opt for a couple cheaper cams to put in different spots than one expensive cam that may get stolen. The only issue I've had with cheaper cams is the camera speed.. you may get a deer butt or a blur or something if it's quick moving. And my cheaper cams seemed to be more trigger happy.. lots of pics of moving brush. But for the money they're worth getting a couple.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The worst is coming back... and finding it took 4000+ pics within the first day and ran the batteries out because the sensitivity needed to be turned down a notch and you needed to take better care to not having the cam pointing at any branches or foliage that might be in front of its path and that might get to moving and swaying enough in a hot wind to set off the trigger a millions times because it was a hot day and a strong wind blew thru.

Make sure to mount 'em up a little higher than you initially think you should. (Gets em up a little higher away from all that heat nearer the ground) And it also can be a good idea to maybe "brush-them-in" a little bit with some foliage too, to help blend them in so those damn 2 legged critters don't notice 'em. Also they say to point them North whenever possible so the picture they take won't be back-lit or washed out because of the sun being behind your subject.

ALSO... if you put them in too conspicuous of a spot.. you run the risk of that making other hunters who happen to pass by the area get curious and have the thought that maybe this is a good place for them to start taking sits on. Same thing with when you make a kill! Don't be a dummie! Don't just leave that obviously human-harvested carcass out in the open where other hunters might happen to cruise by it! Hide that mofo in the nearby bushes! Out-of-sight, out-of-mind. You don't need to go making it harder on yourself by tipping-off other people that this is a spot where deer pass by!

Last edited:
Wal-Mart tonight....Bought 2 more Christmas gifts.

.View attachment 37232

Haha right on Steve that's the one! Gave the puppy dog eyes to the wife while we were at Walmart today and she bought me one but she says I have to wait till Christmas to play with it :/ lol might have to go back tomorrow and pick another one up..it is payday after all :imp:

Reactions: longbowhunter2
@Larry a buddy of mine had that very same issue about having the sensitivity set too high and got nothing but moving brush. So I will make sure to do a test run and mess around with it. Maybe Ill set it up around the house and see what the cats get into at night..

Also at times when you're mounting it, ya might need to shove a branch behind the top of it to angle it down a little more since needing to mount it higher up to get away from all that heat by the brush and grasses nearer the ground.

P.S. It can be real neat to have the cam up when you're actually there and hunting that area! Because then you get some "BEFORE" pics of them! Really cool. Even though these pics sometimes may haunt you because you missed him... twice.... with arrows #facepalm
09100004 - Copy (2) - Copy.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu