Travel trailer for hunting

Designed2Hunt

Aug 18, 2019
New to travel trailers. Was wondering if anyone has suggestions on gear, maintenance, things they wish they had known, and general travel trailer suggestions.
Topics of interest are toilets/wastewater, drinking water, leveling, batteries, solar, inverters, generators, locking/security, bearings/brakes, HVAC, LP gas, leaks/roof maintenance, towing/tow vehicles, service, online resources, etc.

Also would like to see some pictures of your rigs in action.

Last edited:
Sounds like you pretty much know everything you will need. Depending on how long you will be out till determine how much, water, gas, both propane and generator gas you will need. If you plan on running A/C make sure the generator/ inverter you get, if not already installed, will be large enough to run A/C and lighting, ect. I think all trailers in Cal. now require trailer braking system and weight distribution. hitch. If your trips are for extended periods you may need to take extra water or be mindful of usage, this stands true for everything you take. I take a three burner stove to set up outside of trailer, this helps with congestion inside. Some trailers, like mine have a port on LP gas system so you can hookup to trailer tank, Nice to have duel tank system or take extra tank for stove.

Sounds like you pretty much know everything you will need. Depending on how long you will be out till determine how much, water, gas, both propane and generator gas you will need. If you plan on running A/C make sure the generator/ inverter you get, if not already installed, will be large enough to run A/C and lighting, ect. I think all trailers in Cal. now require trailer braking system and weight distribution. hitch. If your trips are for extended periods you may need to take extra water or be mindful of usage, this stands true for everything you take. I take a three burner stove to set up outside of trailer, this helps with congestion inside. Some trailers, like mine have a port on LP gas system so you can hookup to trailer tank, Nice to have duel tank system or take extra tank for stove.
Thanks good idea on cooking outside. My intended use for now for the trailer is for dispersed camping at duck/upland camp in the desert. Model year is 1984, tandem axel, 17 ft. Expecting +90F Temps so AC is a must. I do have dual LP gas tanks plus a spare robbed from the BBQ. Will have to get a generator as none is installed. Will likely need to upgrade my Tacoma tow vehicle. Considering a tundra.

New to travel trailers. Was wondering if anyone has suggestions on gear, maintenance, things they wish they had known, and general travel trailer suggestions.
Topics of interest are toilets/wastewater, drinking water, leveling, batteries, solar, inverters, generators, locking/security, bearings/brakes, HVAC, LP gas, leaks/roof maintenance, towing/tow vehicles, service, online resources, etc.

Also would like to see some pictures of your rigs in action.
I think you really need to make sure your tow rig is set up and can handle what you plan on towing. Heavy duty transmission and an engine rated well above what your travel weight will be are a minimum. There are so many good trailers out there. Some are set up better for light off road use. That would be good to have. I tow a boat. Trailer maintenance for me is key. Solid tires. Check the suspension and hook ups. Buying a trailer is easy. Towing it and maintaining one is where the skill is at.

John

John

Reactions: Designed2Hunt
Consider the number of people you will have using it for example if you have four people then you want one that sleeps six and so on, for room and comfort

I think this is a pretty good set up if you have a small family or just want to go hunt with a buddy and be comfortable.
Shower, toilet, Ac, radio, bigger tires for more clearence, easy to tow with a 1500 or big SUV.

Attachments

• IMG_8894.jpg
    IMG_8894.jpg
    470.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 20211001_155601.jpg
    20211001_155601.jpg
    785.5 KB · Views: 48
Here's my hunting rig. Has a bathroom ,ac, heat, microwave , honda generator. Solar panel. Room for a quad or electric hunting bikes,40gal fresh water tanks. Hot water system. dual propane tanks dual batteries. lots of storage sleeps 4 easily.. Tows nice.has electric braking system

Attachments

• 20190906_131911.jpg
    20190906_131911.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20190906_131956.jpg
    20190906_131956.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 36
Here's my hunting rig. Has a bathroom ,ac, heat, microwave , honda generator. Solar panel. Room for a quad or electric hunting bikes,40gal fresh water tanks. Hot water system. dual propane tanks dual batteries. lots of storage sleeps 4 easily.. Tows nice.has electric braking system
Lots of nights in one of those too.

Does anyone know how to prevent the gray and black water tank and outside bottom pipes from freezing? I was in the mountains in NV and that kept me up at night.
We had the heater running all night inside and I think that helped.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu