Travel with decoys

Prime

Nov 21, 2012
North County
Hey guys,

Going duck hunting in the Midwest in about a month and had a question about getting the decoys back there. Have any of you taken them on a plane (checked baggage)? I've seen some people say to just have them shipped back and forth. Regardless of which method, we would more than likely be using hard sided Rubbermaid containers. I've seen these recommended to people for Alaska trips.

Thanks!

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Where are you headed? Are you going back home to somewhere familiar?

I would never fly somewhere and bring decoys because I bring too much stuff hunting. Not just decoys.

I would try to sync up with someone from that area who has decoys.

More details would help.

My dad and brother are here now. Hunting teal in the morning. They are on easy street. I supply the scouting, guns, and gear. They bring camo and that is all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Where are you headed? Are you going back home to somewhere familiar?

I would never fly somewhere and bring decoys because I bring too much stuff hunting. Not just decoys.

I would try to sync up with someone from that area who has decoys.

Going back to SD. It's family land and have family there but no one waterfowl hunts. Just pheasant and deer. Otherwise I would see if they wanted to go too, or ask to use theirs. I'm right there with ya on bringing too much stuff.

Put em in a cooler maybe? Otherwise buy a set of inflatables or some other cheap ones, have em shipped there and then take the loss when you leave?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Cooler could work. Sort of like those Rubbermaid actionpackers but a lot cheaper and a lot easier to find.

Any family friends hunt waterfowl?

I thought about the inflatable option as well. If that property is good and the birds want to be there inflatable is fine. If you are trying to pull birds in or off a different X then maybe quality or quantity would be better.

Any family friends hunt waterfowl?

I thought about the inflatable option as well. If that property is good and the birds want to be there inflatable is fine. If you are trying to pull birds in or off a different X then maybe quality or quantity would be better.

Unfortunately no one that I know of hunts waterfowl there. It's a small rural ag town. Might just try to get 6 teal and 6 mallard decoys back in a hard sided container or cooler. I will check out the inflatables too.

It’s the Midwest there are cabelas and bass pros. Just buy a dozen cheap ones when you get there for less than $100 and then donate them to a kid back there. It would be cheaper than checking a bag and less to carry around.

Reactions: nicapopolis
I have a ton of Feather-Flex and foam decoys you can borrow.....They were what we used in Canada when we flew.

It’s the Midwest there are cabelas and bass pros. Just buy a dozen cheap ones when you get there for less than $100 and then donate them to a kid back there. It would be cheaper than checking a bag and less to carry around.
X2 definitely less hassle.
Plus they lost my baggage. As I mentioned on previous post.
I flew to Detroit.
Longbow

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu