Treble hook or single hook

steveo007

Nov 24, 2011
chula vista
last year on an off shore fishing trip we were not doing well, but the captain said were headed for a wide open bite ( another boat called on the radio and they were leaving). so put on a flat fall with a treble hook , as were circling and chumming I let it fly and bam I'm hooked up. getting close to the boat and ping gone reel in and let fly again same senerio fought a couple minutes and ping another one lost. I then switched to live bait. question is does the hook make a difference, is it me , or just a part of fishing?

Stevo,

Too me, it has always depended on the lure and what kind of fish I'm fishing for....If I could have only one, it would be a single hook because of hook setting strength.

Reactions: steveo007
For yellow tail and smaller pelagic fish I use a small circle hook. All my live bait hooks also have rings on them now it’s the cool new thing lol.
When I fish bottom fish I still use a circle hook but I use a larger one. Mostly because they have bigger mouths and I am tired of the boys losing halibut. I sometimes use a treble on a short leader from my circle hook to the tail of the bait for halibut but I don’t recommend this unless you have big bait like mackerel.
For pelagic I always belly hook and never use weight they swim better this way and you can easily jerk the hook out of the bait to switch it out. For bottom fish I always nose hook since it keeps the bait on better.

Flat Falls are always rigged with single hooks. Usually one or 2 assist type hooks with the short braid section. There is no way to have the hook leveraged and twist out with them.

Another thing is single hooks are a lot easier to handle. I love throwing rapalas and colt sniper jerk baits but those giant trebles are always sticking me especially when a fish is flopping around on the deck.

I agree with with all single hooks seems to work better.
Except my tuna squid jigs has those single double hooks.
I do to really like circle hooks.
For years I would use the single live bait hooked. But the circle hooks were a sure hook up
Please don't forget to give a light tug at hook up to set the hook.
My favorite setup is fly line with live bait, sardines and anchovies.
As soon as a trolling jig strike I would release the reel to let line out
Way behind the boot.
Some times tuna will follow the jig caught fish then leave.. if they don't hold. If it's a boil then that's different. Fish on. I use three poles with different line strength. 15 lb, 20 lb, and 30 lb. 80lb trolling rigs.
Sometimes the fish would be finicky.
Light line. All was. Mixed nylon floral yozuri.
Any way thousand different combos.
Best
Longbow

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu