Trekking Poles

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
Mine are warn out (really just need to re-grip).

Looking for a current (2019 - 2020 technology) lightweight set and also looking to get my current set re-gripped.

Who knows what? Kellen?

Leki Micro Vario Carbon?
Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork?

Looking for a current (2019 - 2020 technology) lightweight set and also looking to get my current set re-gripped.

Who knows what? Kellen?

Leki Micro Vario Carbon?

John I have the Leki cork light poles. Super strong and light. I don’t think you can go wrong with either of the two brands.

Been thinking I should have gotten a Tri-section set of trekking poles so the tips don't stick up so dang much from the top of the wing pockets on the pack.

Any of you bigger fellas have first-hand experience with the 3-sectioned ones? The carbon ones I have get to flexing quite a bit sometimes when I need them to help get back up to standing after having to take a knee to hunch down under fallen logs. Doesn't inspire confidence. Was concerned that the 3-sectioned ones might be even more flexy like that.

Last edited:
Mine are Kelty and they work great. Wish I had them saturday when I was chasing Chukar.... I was using me shotgun as a trekking staff up the scree.....

John I run Leki aluminum poles. There really isn’t a weight difference between aluminum and carbon fiber. I choose to use aluminum because when I am packing 100+ lbs out of hell and I fall I would rather the pole bend instead of break. Just my personal preference. BTW I have beat my lekis hard the last two seasons and they have held up great.
Gohunt really always has the best stuff for hunting if they are selling it it is proven in the field.

Reactions: TheGDog

Who knows what? Kellen?

Leki Micro Vario Carbon?

I’ve got the BD Carbon cork. Mine are ten years old but the new one looks the same. They’ve served me well and the cork is 95% there. Super light and super durable. Never had an issue with the clamps. Would recommend to anyone backpacking. Personally I like the locking mechanism on the BD poles (clamp) better than Leiki (twist lock).

I do not know about getting a new grip on your old ones. Contact the manufacturer.

Reactions: TRICER
My buddy had the 3 piece Leki takedown poles on our Alaska hunt... I'm getting a set of those. Great to throw in your pack and forget about them til you need them. Super hogh quality.... probably expensive too. Ed F

I have the Leki Carbon Ti… one of the best purchases I have made.

Komperdell is sending me new cork grips to replace the cracked ones (great customer service). After exhausting research I chose the Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Cork. So now I have a spare set which isn't a bad thing.

Thanks for all of the input.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu