Tuna time

I,ll be in CA in 2 weeks..expect a visit..i have big coolers..

Hope ya get into them . I just finished dinner 2 nice yellowfin steaks . Was Awesome , tightlines BF

Did not go according to plan but, I did end up with two nice grade yellow tail. There is a lot of blue fin out there but, when ever the boat got close they went for the bottom. Prolly happened a dozen times or more. We had one nice stop on a paddy and manage twenty YT off it. the boat ended the day with just over twenty YT and nine mixed tuna. The biggest disappointment of the trip was, after they had all the fish out on deck and the cleaning platform set up, we came up on a very large school of boiling tuna, which did not dive and we had to drive right by them, right net to the boat. If we had stopped and hooked up it would have been impossible to land the fish with the condition of the deck. Well, next time. The tuna are sure out there.

.IMG_20200725_142614214.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job. I went out a couple weeks ago and hooked up three tuna, all broke my line (25 lb). I had drag set too tight. One was lost next to the boat!

I'll be going out next week again, probably an overnighter and during the week. Even with boats at half capacity, it's still a little crowded, so hoping weekday will have even less aboard.

I was just looking at the marine forecast, stating next Tues. The winds and seas are predicted to pick up. Seas up to 6 ft. with short intervals between dominate waves. Winds from 12 thru 20 knots. I use buoy weather for forecast when planning trips. I don't put a lot of faith in forecast much more than five days out, but I just thought I would put this info out there. It might get better or go the other way and get real bad. Buoy weather will give forecast up to three days out without a membership and up to 16 days for members. It's around $79 a year.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Good looking fish buddy!! Success!!

I was just looking at the marine forecast, stating next Tues. The winds and seas are predicted to pick up. Seas up to 6 ft. with short intervals between dominate waves. Winds from 12 thru 20 knots. I use buoy weather for forecast when planning trips. I don't put a lot of faith in forecast much more than five days out, but I just thought I would put this info out there. It might get better or go the other way and get real bad. Buoy weather will give forecast up to three days out without a membership and up to 16 days for members. It's around $79 a year.
I use to use the Tidelog; https://www.tidelog.com/product/southern-california-2/
it use to be very accurate. High and Low Tide, wave height , moon phases, and more.
calm seas every one.
Lee

P.S. use to buy the booklet at Squidco before computers, HAHAHAHA

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu