Turkey Driveabout Today....2-15-2020

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Got up to Ramona before flydown and listened for the boys...Really good gobbling...In fact, maybe too good...Some dispersal has already started...Flocks that had a 100 birds are 1/2 that size now...:eek:

Then met Mag 1 (Mark, NWTF President) to see what we have for raffle prizes for the STTU next Saturday (lots of good stuff)...After that, we met up with the ranger at Santa Ysabel East Preserve...Did the driveabout to just show Mark the hunt sites and to get a feel of what the preserve looks like after one year ago...Sadly, the oak trees are dying at an alarming rate...It barely looks like the place I started hunting with the kids 10 years ago...In fact, the tree that his daughter Remington and I sat under when she shot her 1st turkey is completely dead... :worried:

Didn't see any turkeys on the preserve (tracks). We did see plenty of turkeys though, when I took Mark around to some my local haunts...Seeing more & more jakes (good sign)...:blush:

A few pix from today...All different spots

.068.JPG012.JPG017.JPG045.JPG097.JPG102.JPG194.JPG

Seen this before, Early spring and they get going early, The weather people predict that it will be mild winter so if that happens the birds will do their thing early on and late season will probably be a bust. Have not seen a bird up in Mesa Grande since fall, plenty on private by Henshaw. Good luck guys I think it will be a tough year without the rain they need .

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu