Turkey Etiquette

CLarson757

Dec 29, 2019
How do you manage other hunters approaching or moving into your shooting lane? Do you prefer to signal somehow or call out? Is there a universal “hey you are getting danger close” signal?

I’m hunting pretty pressured public and want to make every effort to keep safety for myself and others who might wander too close to me and/ or my decoys. I’ve seen guys flash a head lamp but that’s about it.

When I hunted nothing but public...I would drive around until I found places that had no cars nearby...I know there were a lot less hunters then, but mid morning can be the the best or IMO, is the best time...Opening days were almost always a bust.

To your original question...Flashing your light is appropriate in the dark...Moving or waving your arms is not a good idea...Whistle or yell is always best.

When I hunted nothing but public...I would drive around until I found places that had no cars nearby...I know there were a lot less hunters then, but mid morning can be the the best or IMO, is the best time...Opening days were almost always a bust.

To your original question...Flashing your light is appropriate in the dark...Moving or waving your arms is not a good idea...Whistle or yell is always best.

My fear is that I have found good birds, now I need to beat the crowd. I’m planning to be there days before the opener to camp within striking distance. I’m anticipating that I’ll be seeing oncoming and nearby lights bouncing in my direction.

My fear is that I have found good birds, now I need to beat the crowd. I’m planning to be there days before the opener to camp within striking distance. I’m anticipating that I’ll be seeing oncoming and nearby lights bouncing in my direction.
Besides hunting weekdays, another way to outsmart the crowd is to stick it out through midday. Some of the most exciting action I've had is the 10am to 1pm shift when the hens go down and the toms go on the prowl, and the other hunters have left already thinking it'll be slow.

Besides hunting weekdays, another way to outsmart the crowd is to stick it out through midday. Some of the most exciting action I've had is the 10am to 1pm shift when the hens go down and the toms go on the prowl, and the other hunters have left already thinking it'll be slow.

Appreciate that. I’ve put two long scouts in on this piece of public. Seen one other guys scouting it on one of the mornings and a trail cam. I’ve talked to some local authorities on this spot and it sounds like it’s going to be a zoo depending on where I brush in. I’m definitely going to sit as long as it takes and with any luck will be packing out one of the few Tom’s I had in the area.

Opening day will be a zoo at most places but in general pressure drops off dramatically afterwards. Scout the area well, get in there early and as tight to the birds as you feel comfortable, be ready to shine people off with your light, hope for early success but be willing to stick it out all day if needed as most hunters will get antsy and leave before 10-11. Always have a back up plan!

Opening day will be a zoo at most places but in general pressure drops off dramatically afterwards. Scout the area well, get in there early and as tight to the birds as you feel comfortable, be ready to shine people off with your light, hope for early success but be willing to stick it out all day if needed as most hunters will get antsy and leave before 10-11. Always have a back up plan!

Mich appreciated. I’m planing on camping out a few days ahead of schedule so I’m hoping that lets me get situated earlier than anyone else. If not, I’ll definitely be there all day to make the most of it. I have a few other spots I can setup on if the birds don’t show up in my forst choice. If it doesn’t happen opening day I’ll probably get back in on a weekday. I’m excited and determined to drop one of these birds I’ve scoured up!

Stay safe out there. , In the dark use a signal light, during day light use a whistle. Hopefully no one tries to stalk turkeys. Do not use a gobble call.
At day light listen for the turkeys doing their locator calls. Good luck.

Thanks for this. I’m counting down the days!

Be prepared to have to go to your second or third options as spots go. You may think that you are going in early enough just to find out that your spot has been taken. Experience is talking here...
Also if you hear others calling close to you... just stay quiet and let others bring the birds to you... now thats my 2cents....

Be prepared to have to go to your second or third options as spots go. You may think that you are going in early enough just to find out that your spot has been taken. Experience is talking here...
Also if you hear others calling close to you... just stay quiet and let others bring the birds to you... now thats my 2cents....
With where I’m planning to setup, and the direction that everyone will be moving on opening day (only one way in/ out), I think I have a good chance that the birds get pushed towards me. I’ll also be there camped two days before the opener in hopes that no one else beats me to it. But if it’s a swing and a miss, I’ll still be happy to have camped out in the wild and learn a bit more.

I do have two backups in the event I’ve got to back out. I’m sure people will be crawling out of every nook I’ve scouted. Suppose it’s just how it always is on the opener.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
With where I’m planning to setup, and the direction that everyone will be moving on opening day (only one way in/ out), I think I have a good chance that the birds get pushed towards me. I’ll also be there camped two days before the opener in hopes that no one else beats me to it. But if it’s a swing and a miss, I’ll still be happy to have camped out in the wild and learn a bit more.

I do have two backups in the event I’ve got to back out. I’m sure people will be crawling out of every nook I’ve scouted. Suppose it’s just how it always is on the opener.
We hunt three or four areas... on all of them we make several blinds with broken branches and stuff.

Make sure the gas tank is full..and you step off the road...and for christ sakes.. Never shoot across the road!!! Good luck fellas..and long live the yardbird!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu