Turkey Guidence?

bassin_rob

Nov 7, 2016
The wife just got her hunters safety course done and we are looking to get her out on her first hunt this weekend. Also wanting to break in the new tent I posted about getting a few weeks ago. We are thinking about heading up near the Sequias for a camping, shed hunting, Turkey hunting trip. Never been to this are so will be going in pretty blind. If anyone could point me in the right direction on a starting point it would be greatly appreciated. Not looking for anyone’s honey hole, just a starting point would be awesome. Also if anyone knows of a good place to set up camp for a weekend that would be helpful. Going to be doing a bunch of google scouting and research over the next few days.
Thanks for any and all help! I’m a Turkey hunting noob!

Do you ever get a chance to listen to podcasts? I learned a lot listening to Jay Scott Outdoors. He just put up a 7 part series dedicated to turkey hunting. Episodes 552-558. Also episode 561 is with Scott Ellis... a turkey calling champion.

No help here. But make sure the areas are huntable National Forest or BLM. Use maps and ONXHUNT.
Read all the local area regulations.
In addition to the DFW regulations.
Look for sign , turkey tracks , scat, digging/scratching in the dirt.
Listen early daybreak for gobbles or yelps. Clucks ..

I do listen to podcasts occasionally but I haven’t listed to that one. Will check it out over the next few days. Thanks for the tip!
And I’ve looked there is national forest just south of the Sequias that’s huntable

Rob,

Don't know about how many turkeys are near the park, but out of Fresno you have the Kinsman Flat W.A. that has turkeys...Another area to start is up near Springville.

Call this guy...Kevin Vella...California NWTF biologist....707-478-7777
Thanks for the info! Really appreciate it! Around Springville is ballpark the area I was looking at. Have you ever hunted up there?

Reactions: BangBangBrandon
Thanks for the info! Really appreciate it! Around Springville is ballpark the area I was looking at. Have you ever hunted up there?

Yes...Many years ago and before turkeys really got established...I had come from the Lake Isabella side & Greenhorn Mt...Never saw a turkey except for in Wolford Heights near Kernville CC.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu