JasonK

Feb 15, 2018
Hi all,

A couple of gear questions:

1. Do people prefer to hunt with:

a) Backpack with seat
b) Vest with seat
c) Other

If vest is the answer is this a good value vest for the money? or recommend another?
https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-SPEEDY-YOTE-KICKSTAND-VEST/1658176.uts?slotId=1

2. Can anyone recommend a good portable ground blind under $50? Needs to accommodate 2 hunters. Found this one if anyone can weigh in on if its a good choice or not that be great.

3. Lastly, my shotgun is Remington 11-87 with walnut stock and a matte barrel. Is it imperative that I put camo tape all over the gun? If so, does anyone have any favorite brands?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
Jason

Jason,

1....Turkey hunting vest.....That Cabela's vest is a great deal.....I also use waist Run & Gun with seat.....Most of us like the turkey loungers as well....Different gear for different situations is common.

2....That's a good short blind....Plenty wide enough for 2 people....Good price.

3....Your Rem 11-87 is more than good enough with flat black barrel.....3" Hevi-Shot Blend would be a good match with a turkey choke or plain full choke.

This is how camo'd you should be....And that's the Cabela's vest.....A sling on your gun is imperative.

IMG_7004.JPG

.IMG_0927.JPG

Last edited:
Jason,

1....Turkey hunting vest.....That Cabela's vest is a great deal.....I also use waist Run & Gun with seat.....Most of us like the turkey loungers as well....Different gear for different situations is common.

2....That's a good short blind....Plenty wide enough for 2 people....Good price.

3....Your Rem 11-87 is more than good enough with flat black barrel.....3" Hevi-Shot Blend would be a good match with a turkey choke or plain full choke.

This is how camo'd you should be....And that's the Cabela's vest.....A sling on your gun is imperative.

View attachment 34548

.View attachment 34547

Bought the vest, bought the blind. Gonna put a sling on the shotty and I'm ready to roll. Thanks for your help!

Turkey calls yet?.....Decoys?.....They're pretty important too.....lol

.View attachment 34561 View attachment 34562

Yeah between my hunting partner and I we have (I believe) everything we need. Here is the list:

Box call (BassPro brand)
Locator call pack (owl, woodpecker, crow): https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/RedHead-Strike-Out-Locator-Mouth-Call--3-Pack
Decoys: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/primos-gobbstopper-turkey-decoy-combo
My hunting partner has slate call and these decoys: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redhead-foam-turkey-decoy-3-pack
And I just got the Leupold Mckenzie 10-42 binos

Neither one of us wanted to break the bank on this hunt but I figure the vest and the binos can be multi-functional across different species...

I've used the Jerry Martin for a few years now and it's pretty nice.. produces loud cuts and yelps, and has stayed in tune.

I don't think that is the model. I believe it is a redhead though. I'll check when I get home.

what do you guys think about the Primos Wet Box Waterproof Box Turkey Call?

what do you guys think about the Primos Wet Box Waterproof Box Turkey Call?

Not a bad little call, but the volume is lacking.....Which is one of the key features of box calls in general......The better choice is the Primos Box Cutter....IMO.

How bout a gobbler? Do I absolutely need one of those or should I focus on box, slate and locator calls?

I would not use a gobbler call on public land.. very dangerous. You are likely to call in other hunters rather than a battle-ready tom. Rather, I would work on mouth calls in addition to your box and slate calls.

I would not use a gobbler call on public land.. very dangerous. You are likely to call in other hunters rather than a battle-ready tom. Rather, I would work on mouth calls in addition to your box and slate calls.

This is exactly the right response by Jason.....Gobbler calls barely work and you're just asking for trouble on public land.....Learn that diaphragm call (You tube).....Not that hard once you get the hang of it.

ps......H.S. Strut sells a 3 pack, plus how to video at BPS for about 16 bucks.

This is exactly the right response by Jason.....Gobbler calls barely work and you're just asking for trouble on public land.....Learn that diaphragm call (You tube).....Not that hard once you get the hang of it.

ps......H.S. Strut sells a 3 pack, plus how to video at BPS for about 16 bucks.

I don't know if I can master all these calls by the time I go hunting!!!

Don't need to master them.....Just get the yelp cadence down with a box call.....Then as you drive around try to get that same cadence with your diaphragm call.....Good woodsmanship will get you as many turkeys as calling.

Don't need to master them.....Just get the yelp cadence down with a box call.....Then as you drive around try to get that same cadence with your diaphragm call.....Good woodsmanship will get you as many turkeys as calling.

OK Sprig. But mark my words that's the last thing that I'm letting you talk me into buying for this season...

That's what I told my wife at least.

OK Sprig. But mark my words that's the last thing that I'm letting you talk me into buying for this season...

That's what I told my wife at least.
THAT'S FUNNY I said that this year and stuff keeps coming to the house.:)

Haha.......Buying stuff is half the fun......I have folks give me custom calls and I still bought another box call from BPS last week-end.....lol

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu