Turkey Opener this Saturday...2021

You sir definitely have your stuff figured out. Is that all public land hunting? I literally only saw 1 bird on public land in 5 years. I found tons of birds on private land and the reservation but nothing I could go hunt. Nothing more frustrating than spending hours and hours hiking and scouting and see nothing huntable then drive by park on the way home to see 8 Tom's strutting around

You sir definitely have your stuff figured out. Is that all public land hunting? I literally only saw 1 bird on public land in 5 years. I found tons of birds on private land and the reservation but nothing I could go hunt. Nothing more frustrating than spending hours and hours hiking and scouting and see nothing huntable then drive by park on the way home to see 8 Tom's strutting around

Jeff,

All these pix are from private or MCC...My first 2 or 3 seasons I hunted nothing but public and would get 1 jake a season (by choice not to shoot more than 1)...I'm a bass fisherman and know you got to fish where the fish are...Discovered early on that 40 acres of good private was better than 4,000 public here in SoCal...Even better if you have access to 40,000... ;)

ps...When I hunt other states...It's 95% public...Whole different game...Mostly hunt solo.

.new mexico 1st gobbler 2011 005.JPGIMG_1084.JPG026.JPG007.JPG013.JPG093.JPG047.JPG

Jeff,

All these pix are from private or MCC...My first 2 or 3 seasons I hunted nothing but public and would get 1 jake a season (by choice not to shoot more than 1)...I'm a bass fisherman and know you got to fish where the fish are...Discovered early on that 40 acres of good private was better than 4,000 public here in SoCal...Even better if you have access to 40,000... ;)

ps...When I hunt other states...It's 95% public...Whole different game...Mostly hunt solo.

.View attachment 48480View attachment 48481View attachment 48482View attachment 48483View attachment 48484View attachment 48485View attachment 48486
That makes sense. I had a few connections to private land that never worked out. Friends promised hook ups and when I asked to cash in on the access there were excuses why I could not go every time.

One year I scouted for a month on private access that bordered CNF. I decided to camp out in my truck the night before. My buddy sent me a text at 8pm the night before the opener and said that I could not hunt that property on the opener. And the CNF area was basically land locked from this private property so I could not hunt the public land. He told me I needed to leave and be discreet about it. I think he never really got permission for me to shoot there. He expected me to be all talk and not go hunt there. It completely blew my game plan and I was not very happy about it.

That sure is a bummer, He shouldn't have told you could hunt there to begin with.

That sure is a bummer, He shouldn't have told you could hunt there to begin with.
I agree. Apparently his family member lived on a property that they did not actually own. The land owners came home the night before the opener and they liked the turkey's around and did not like people hunting them . I knew none of this till after I was told to leave. I was pretty annoyed with my friend. He could have got me in some real trouble

This jake wouldn't let the long beard in and it cost him his head!
Only the skin is holding on, and he's double bearded.IMG_20210327_105300.jpg

Good morning surrounded by birds at 10:30 we stopped playing nice and took it to them and two Jake's paid the price bam bam! We're done.

Attachments

• IMG_20210327_115445.jpg
    IMG_20210327_115445.jpg
    620.3 KB · Views: 25
Congrats
I got a jake, called in, pass on him and he went up the hill, waited 30 min, call again, he comes running back in, let him pass, wait 40 min, call again, he came back in so, BOOM ! :cigar:
Congrats on the bird. Calling them in is 90% of the fun.

Mark,

Congrats on your double...Boom, boom is a great sound

This jake wouldn't let the long beard in and it cost him his head!
Only the skin is holding on, and he's double bearded.View attachment 48497

Good morning surrounded by birds at 10:30 we stopped playing nice and took it to them and two Jake's paid the price bam bam! We're done.
Thats what they get for being bullies... :clap:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu