Turkey Scouting.

Dawnandusk

Sep 26, 2018
Bonita
Who can teach me a few more things about turkey scouting?
How long after dawn would Tom's gobble back to Peacock calls? and why do they actually gobble back?
I will drive and hike a lot tomorrow and I want to know if there is a time where I could stop and take a brake before i keep going.

Last edited:
Nice Jason....It was the one call I didn't have with me today (BPS)...Probably would've scared the crap out of everybody....:scream:

ps....Varmint call can do the same thing....;)

Reactions: Goyaałé
Where are the hens!!!
Most of what we came across were old Toms.

Fabian,

They're with the more dominant toms somewhere....This is all part of spring dispersal....Subordinate toms (2 year old & jakes) start roaming around looking for other flocks or hens.

For hunting, this is the perfect scenario. There's only 1 thing on their minds....And it ain't eating acorns.......lol

4 longs & 7 jakes...2 days previous this week, there were 10 longs in this flock.

Last edited:
Why couldn't you see in the dark,
Were you using head lamps?

Hopefully turkeys back in full glory.
Shock gobble works just hasn't for me. I rather wake up with the forest.
And listen for turkeys. Then wait, watch were they Roost. Lol.
To each his or her own.

Lots of gobbling this morning.
Long hikes too.
Some places we just cant walk through at night though.
Can we camp out under the tree we will use to sit next day?

I am hoping there is a correlation between long hikes and gobbles. If you are finding vocal birds away from roads you are in the right place!

As Steve mentioned, if you are in an area where there are bachelor groups you are doing something right.

§485. American Crow.
  • (a) Shotgun, Falconry, and Archery Seasons, and Bag and Possession Limits.
    • (1) Season: The first Saturday in December and extending for 124 consecutive days.
    • (2) Daily Bag and Possession Limits
      • Bag Limit: 24 crows per day
      • Possession Limit: double the daily bag limit
    • (3) Area: Statewide: see closure area (d) below
  • (b) Crows may only be taken by shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot shells only and incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined, bow and arrow, and falconry. The take or attempted take of any crows with a firearm shall be in accordance with the use of nonlead projectiles and ammunition pursuant to Section 250.1, Crows may not be hunted from aircraft.
  • (c) No person shall kill or cripple a crow pursuant to this section without making a reasonable effort to retrieve the bird, and retain it in their actual custody at the place where taken or between that place and either: (1) their automobile or principal means of land transportation; or (2) their personal abode or temporary or transient place of lodging; or (3) a migratory bird preservation facility; or (4) a post office; or (5) a common carrier facility.
  • (d) Crows may not be taken in the following areas:
    • (1) Within the boundaries of the Trinity and Mendocino National Forests south of Highway 36.
    • (2) North and east of a line beginning at the mouth of the Eel River; south along the Eel River to the town of Alton; east on Highway 36 from the town of Alton to Highway 89 west of Chester; south and east on Highways 89 and 395 to Interstate 15 near Hesperia; south on Interstate 15 to Interstate 10; and east on Interstate 10 to the California-Arizona border.
  • (e) See Section 472(d) for the take of American crows causing depredation.
Amendment filed 6/26/15; effective 7/1/15.

[More information on the laws and regulations concerning the take of American Crows (PDF)]

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu