Typical adult newbie trying to break from armchair hunter to actual hunter

Dutch

Dec 25, 2020
Hi All,
Merry Christmas! First post here after lurking for awhile and educating myself. Like many adult newbies, I've gotten my hunting license, read, read and read some more about hunting, watch hunting shows, etc. but need to purchase a firearm and start actually hunting! I've been on the sidelines for 2 years thinking about this, 2021 is the time to make it happen. I live in San Diego County, grew up in Michigan but the most "hunting" I did back then was shooting nuisance red squirrels on our property with a 12 gauge. I'm curious what folks think about a place like My Country Club in San Diego for an absolute beginner hunter? It seems like it'd be an easier path for someone like me to pick up a rifle and a shotgun, get lots of varmint shooting under my belt out there, and work my way in more toward other game from that point? I know ilovesprig (Steve) seems very knowledgeable about My Country Club so I was going to PM him as well unless he cares to chime in here. Any current MCC members know the status of the place? I'm guessing they are busier than ever with lockdowns pushing more and more folks into the outdoors.

I don't mind hunting solo, I've done many long distance backpacking trips solo on and off trail in the Sierra over the years so am reasonably experienced in the backcountry, but the hunting angle is completely new. I know everyone says to find a hunting buddy/mentor, but it seems easier said than done. I was either thinking of going the My Country Club route, or perhaps just start applying for tags and trying to find some type of guided hunting instruction or a full blown guided hunt somewhere. I imagine it is common for adults around SoCal since it seems like a high barrier of entry to get started as a beginner here, I'm a bit paranoid of just taking a firearm and appropriate licenses/tags to designated "allowed" hunting areas and going for it alone. Paying extra for the experience, especially with fishing included out at MCC seems like perhaps a good option as well.

I definitely want to learn to hunt though, not just do guided hunts and have game lined up for me to do nothing more than pull the trigger. The advice I've read elsewhere is to just find BLM land on the maps and go exploring, which is fine if that is the best way to start hiking the areas and paying attention to sign to get accustomed to things?

Even the exact game I'm looking for, I'm just not sure yet. I suppose the mountain west elk hunt is what I romanticize, but feel like I should explore small game, birds, etc. as well and MCC seems like a good idea for a beginning "dabbler" in that regard?

Thanks!

First off welcome..you're in the right place. As long as your reading up on the regs taking a hike with a shotgun is your best bet..the only way to know what type of game you are targeting is to get out there and see what is even out there..I was hunting for deer in a spot and discovered it holds quail and even turkeys at times...so you can guess where I'll start my quail and turkey hunts..it takes getting boots on the ground and time spent behind the glass or just tuck under a tree and just start to watch and listen...you'll be surprised at what you see and hear. Set a trail cam or 2 and you'll start to see what's really moving around in that area if anything at all.

The more you go out your eyes get tuned into spotting movement, sign, tracks, and game trails..now I to am a late onset hunter..this is my 3rd season and still have lots to learn but with help from a few people on this site I have been able to get out and even be successful at times..I may measure success differently from others but even when I get a sense of how animals are using a certain area and set a cam and sure enough I get some deer or other animals I feel successful!

This year I hunted for Turkeys, Deer, Elk and Ducks... so far I have only harvested 3 ducks but I saw and heard both turkeys and elk for the first time in the woods..I had a spike buck under 40yds from me with a bow and I have great trail cam footage..so far this is my most successful year yet!

Now don't get me wrong if I had the means I'd be a MCC member so if you can start there then I'd recommend considering that.

MCC is a good place to start just remembered their will be drama.....

The BLM and go hike will be the way to go after you learn a little about animal behavior & SD backcountry.

Good luck

Hmmm, drama would seem near the top of the list of things I'd want to steer clear of in life, could you elaborate MJB? I've searched through the threads here for discussion of MCC drama but haven't found any info. Feel free to PM me if not for public discussion. Thanks!

I've heard mention of MCC being a family friendly place as well, which would be nice in the future. My son is 8 and I'd like to include him on these things down the line, so I figure I've got a few years to get myself sorted out on hunting basics before involving him but it'd be nice to take him out for some fishing and target shooting in the meantime, if MCC is good for that as well.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I don’t know diddly about MCC, but I would suggest taking your son now. He’ll absorb that info you learn together. He’s at a good age to get into it

Hmmm, drama would seem near the top of the list of things I'd want to steer clear of in life, could you elaborate MJB? I've searched through the threads here for discussion of MCC drama but haven't found any info. Feel free to PM me if not for public discussion. Thanks!

I've heard mention of MCC being a family friendly place as well, which would be nice in the future. My son is 8 and I'd like to include him on these things down the line, so I figure I've got a few years to get myself sorted out on hunting basics before involving him but it'd be nice to take him out for some fishing and target shooting in the meantime, if MCC is good for that as well.

Dutch,

I'm a MCC member and it's very family friendly...I don't know what "drama" Mark (MJB) is speaking of, but the drama on MCC is nothing like the drama on public lands...There are rules that don't apply to public land, bucks must be 3 points or better (16 taken) with a rifle, no does even with a G-13 or A-22 tag, no fall turkeys, club members are encouraged to shoot only 1 jake, duck hunting for members only at lake Henshaw (Sunday), catch & release at Will Valley pond...I love the place for ground squirrels.

.014.JPG

ps...MCC does offer target shooting and fishing

If i lived near by...id of been a member years ago...good shit Stevo! Considering 1 guided hunt for A So cal deer is gonna cost you at least 2500.00 (minimum).from what ive been told...well ..maybe 2000.00 if you know the guy..

Steve, I'm willing to bet those members aren't members any more if there was "drama" Not sure, pure speculation. I have no affiliation with MCC. Well, maybe a small little bit, but still.

Dutch, give MCC a call and take a tour.

Sounds worth getting a tour of MCC at least. I'm going to get OnX maps on my phone and do some exploring as well to try and get a feel for things.

One thing I hadn't considered is that I can also hunt Camp Pendleton as DoD and I have a truck, so I seem to meet the requirements for hunting on base. I think all I'd need is to go to the exchange and get a base hunting permit, then once I upload that and my license online I think I'd be able to start reserving areas. I'd be 3rd priority in line as a DoD civilian but it looks like you can still get on for small game pretty easily with lower priority. I just learned of this today so I'm digging in on that as well.

I also found out about Pendleton Sportsman's Club, but that civilian membership is limited. They even seem to have a mentor program which would be fantastic. I'm going to start looking into that as well.

Some good options for getting out and scouting, what I really need to do now beyond that is purchase a firearm and get to a range. I'm thinking of getting a 12 gauge shotgun to get me going. I considered a .22 rifle as an entry point but a lot of reading I've done seems to indicate that it is a waste of time and to just skip it? I'd plan to get the shotgun, then onto a range. I've also never been to a shooting range before, so that's a bit intimidating. Would you recommend paying an instructor for the first ever range session, or just going for it? Closest to me is the North County Shooting Center in San Marcos. I've fired weapons before, but it's been 20 years so I'm basically brand new.

Dutch there are NRA courses out there on rifle and shotgun safety to get you started if you’re not comfortable just showing up at a range. Also, Fines Firearms in La Mesa is the place to got to get your firearm They will treat you fairly and are great to work with. Are you located in North Country?

Dutch there are NRA courses out there on rifle and shotgun safety to get you started if you’re not comfortable just showing up at a range. Also, Fines Firearms in La Mesa is the place to got to get your firearm They will treat you fairly and are great to work with. Are you located in North Country?
Yes, I'm in Carlsbad. I searched for NRA courses and I see shotgun and rifle courses at Escondido Fish and Game, I assume that is what you are referring to? The first and only shotgun course is schedule for 1/10 and they can loan shotguns, but it's full. Next rifle is 3/20 but it says to bring your rifle, so I'd have to purchase one prior to that. Would places like Fine Firearm have a decent stock going between now and then? I haven't been to a firearm shop yet, but everything I hear is that gun sales are through the roof so I wasn't sure how difficult it would be to purchase right now. I'd prefer to go ahead and get a quality product now, vs. whatever is available on the day I go?

Any feedback on Gunther Guns (closest) or Turner's San Marcos (also close)? La Mesa is a bit of a trek but I don't mind if it's a better experience.

Yes, I'm in Carlsbad. I searched for NRA courses and I see shotgun and rifle courses at Escondido Fish and Game, I assume that is what you are referring to? The first and only shotgun course is schedule for 1/10 and they can loan shotguns, but it's full. Next rifle is 3/20 but it says to bring your rifle, so I'd have to purchase one prior to that. Would places like Fine Firearm have a decent stock going between now and then? I haven't been to a firearm shop yet, but everything I hear is that gun sales are through the roof so I wasn't sure how difficult it would be to purchase right now. I'd prefer to go ahead and get a quality product now, vs. whatever is available on the day I go?

Any feedback on Gunther Guns (closest) or Turner's San Marcos (also close)? La Mesa is a bit of a trek but I don't mind if it's a better experience.
If you’d like you can PM me and I’ll give you a rundown on my recent purchases and experiences for buying a rifle and shotgun as well as FF.

Sounds worth getting a tour of MCC at least. I'm going to get OnX maps on my phone and do some exploring as well to try and get a feel for things.

One thing I hadn't considered is that I can also hunt Camp Pendleton as DoD and I have a truck, so I seem to meet the requirements for hunting on base. I think all I'd need is to go to the exchange and get a base hunting permit, then once I upload that and my license online I think I'd be able to start reserving areas. I'd be 3rd priority in line as a DoD civilian but it looks like you can still get on for small game pretty easily with lower priority. I just learned of this today so I'm digging in on that as well.

I also found out about Pendleton Sportsman's Club, but that civilian membership is limited. They even seem to have a mentor program which would be fantastic. I'm going to start looking into that as well.

Some good options for getting out and scouting, what I really need to do now beyond that is purchase a firearm and get to a range. I'm thinking of getting a 12 gauge shotgun to get me going. I considered a .22 rifle as an entry point but a lot of reading I've done seems to indicate that it is a waste of time and to just skip it? I'd plan to get the shotgun, then onto a range. I've also never been to a shooting range before, so that's a bit intimidating. Would you recommend paying an instructor for the first ever range session, or just going for it? Closest to me is the North County Shooting Center in San Marcos. I've fired weapons before, but it's been 20 years so I'm basically brand new.
The Pendleton Sportsman Club, is a great group to get into if your going to hunt on base. I worked there back when the club started. Nice to see it is still going strong. I hope they still have the archery range as well I helped build that way back when.

The Pendleton Sportsman Club, is a great group to get into if your going to hunt on base. I worked there back when the club started. Nice to see it is still going strong. I hope they still have the archery range as well I helped build that way back when.

They are a great group of guys...I have spoken there a number of times about turkey hunting in San Diego Co...It would be a good thing, if turkeys would get established on the base.

You also might want to check out the San Diego Varmint Callers group. We do a lot more than hunt varmints. Comprised of all kinds of hunters...birds, big game, varmints, fishing...you name it.

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu