Ultimate Accuracy or Ultra Velocity?

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
The age long question. With todays cartridges and powders it's the "Wild West" out there. What your take? Ultimate Accuracy or Ultra Velocity?

Reactions: HATCHET1
You know I am a velocity guy. I will take an extra 100fps and 1/2moa all day.

I like to try multiple powders when developing a load. Each powder will hit its accuracy node at a different FPS if one powder gives me a substantial jump in velocity and still good accuracy that is my choice. Sometimes “Hot“ powders are not the fastest powder for me depending on where the node is. Also sometimes I will work up a bullet but it’s velocity node falls short of where I want to be so I will scrap that bullet. An example of that would be the 140ELDM in my 260 was very accurate but the velocity for that node was over 100fps slower than the 135 Atip. So I abandoned the ELDM and stuck with the ATip.

These are my beliefs for a hunting rig velocity kills at longer ranges. If I was just punching paper I would be accuracy first. But 100fps at the muzzle is huge once you really start stretching out that bullet.

Last edited:
When I was new to reloading and a young rifleman I was always chasing velocity. I thought that the flatter the bullet flew and the more energy at target; the equation was solved. With that came more pressure, more recoil, more muzzle blast and a very short lifespan on brass and barrel life, and more than adequate accuracy was always achieved. Animals fell and life was good. But was it really making the difference for me? I thought it was. Wasn't it? Shooting a 30-338, 7 Rem Mag, 300WSM and a 338WM at top end velocities - well I felt I had achieved reloading greatness.

Then there was a guy named Henry who came along. He was a man whose wisdom spilled over enough for me to glean a different perspective on reloading and the accuracy/velocity whoa. Hank said: "if you could place a bullet behind an ear or on a specific patch of hair every time would that be a substitute for your unbridled velocity". "What if your confidence was so rock solid you could make great shots with normality". For me, that was the beginning of the ultimate chase for accuracy. I soon found what I was always looking for. Satisfaction. It was missing all along.

There are many cartridges that meet the needs of the average velocity freak. Pick your poison. More powder means more velocity. Most cartridges shoot better below the max velocity threshold. So why abuse the rifle, brass and body to make a cartridge work so hard. If you want more velocity go down in bullet weight or up in powder capacity. Why settle for a 1/2" group when a 1/4" or better is possible.

I am currently building a .280 Ackley Improved. Hopefully it will be done in the next few months. I chose it for a few reasons:

I wanted an inherently accurate cartridge
I wanted a caliber that had a good bullet selection with excellent BC's and sectional density
I wanted a cartridge that didn't swallow powder by the jug
I wanted a cartridge that had less recoil and more efficiency than its magnum brothers
I wanted a standard cartridge that left tons of room in the magazine well
I wanted a gun I could carry all day but not compromise accuracy for weight
I wanted to build a dedicated rifle for monolithic bullets that could be used to hunt any game in the lower 48 states

The 7 Rem mag, 28 Nosler, 7mm RUM etc. etc. all outperform the .280 AI regarding velocity. And the latter by a long stretch, but accuracy - no way. The fact is, out to 800 yards the animals won't know the difference. It all steers back to the intangible confidence factor. Being able to look at a game animal knowing what can and can't be achieved.

In 2018, my son made a 450 yard shot on a very nice Utah buck who was hanging out in some brush. It wouldn't move so he made a shot through a window in the brush no larger than an 8" circle. It fell like a sack of rocks. We both knew it was an ethical shot. And we were both confident of the result when the trigger would be squeezed.

Beware of the sportsman who shoots a 30-06. He has never been tempted to shoot a 300WM because he has no reason. He pulls the trigger and the animals fall...

Just one guys perspective. Remember - These are my express opinions derived from my experiences - I know less than most and half as much as some!

Accuracy. I've shot $18 box lead and $25 box copper Federal from my 30-06. No idea what the velocity was, but accuracy worked. Can't wait to see how the hand loads shoot I'm currently working on

Reactions: TRICER and NBK
When I was new to reloading and a young rifleman I was always chasing velocity. I thought that the flatter the bullet flew and the more energy at target; the equation was solved. With that came more pressure, more recoil, more muzzle blast and a very short lifespan on brass and barrel life, and more than adequate accuracy was always achieved. Animals fell and life was good. But was it really making the difference for me? I thought it was. Wasn't it? Shooting a 30-338, 7 Rem Mag, 300WSM and a 338WM at top end velocities - well I felt I had achieved reloading greatness.

Then there was a guy named Henry who came along. He was a man whose wisdom spilled over enough for me to glean a different perspective on reloading and the accuracy/velocity whoa. Hank said: "if you could place a bullet behind an ear or on a specific patch of hair every time would that be a substitute for your unbridled velocity". "What if your confidence was so rock solid you could make great shots with normality". For me, that was the beginning of the ultimate chase for accuracy. I soon found what I was always looking for. Satisfaction. It was missing all along.

There are many cartridges that meet the needs of the average velocity freak. Pick your poison. More powder means more velocity. Most cartridges shoot better below the max velocity threshold. So why abuse the rifle, brass and body to make a cartridge work so hard. If you want more velocity go down in bullet weight or up in powder capacity. Why settle for a 1/2" group when a 1/4" or better is possible.

I am currently building a .280 Ackley Improved. Hopefully it will be done in the next few months. I chose it for a few reasons:

I wanted a caliber that had a good bullet selection with excellent BC's and sectional density
I wanted a cartridge that had less recoil and more efficiency than its magnum brothers
I wanted to build a dedicated rifle for monolithic bullets that could be used to hunt any game in the lower 48 states

The 7 Rem mag, 28 Nosler, 7mm RUM etc. etc. all outperform the .280 AI regarding velocity. And the latter by a long stretch, but accuracy - no way. The fact is, out to 800 yards the animals won't know the difference. It all steers back to the intangible confidence factor. Being able to look at a game animal knowing what can and can't be achieved.

In 2018, my son made a 450 yard shot on a very nice Utah buck who was hanging out in some brush. It wouldn't move so he made a shot through a window in the brush no larger than an 8" circle. It fell like a sack of rocks. We both knew it was an ethical shot. And we were both confident of the result when the trigger would be squeezed.

Beware of the sportsman who shoots a 30-06. He has never been tempted to shoot a 300WM because he has no reason. He pulls the trigger and the animals fall...

Just one guys perspective. Remember - These are my express opinions derived from my experiences - I know less than most and half as much as some!

But don't you need velocity to make the mono bullets expand?? I think I will be visiting your shop a lot more in the next year for a gun build...let me get a hang of reloading first. I was thinking (and i guess I still am) about buying a Fierce Rival, but I know you could do a heck of a build for around that same price point.

Reactions: TRICER
Accuracy. I've shot $18 box lead and $25 box copper Federal from my 30-06. No idea what the velocity was, but accuracy worked. Can't wait to see how the hand loads shoot I'm currently working on

I tikka t3x in .308 still shoots those dang federal coppers better than any other factory ammo. I just do not trust their expansion so i found myself going for anchoring shots with them.

Regarding Hank and his contribution. Sorry if it does not meet the thread...I miss Hank'y he was the best buddy you could ever know in any sense of the word. When he found out my wife was sick he still came up an took of us he brought her pups and asked us to train them and then helped me try to keep the business going.The best man I have ever known to back me up when things went to hell...

Guys..i dont really hunt alot, just pull stuff off the internet..but i would say in my limited experience...if you have time to work loads up with the plehura of calibers available today go for it!! Why not? That being said, ive never done it...just bought the cheap crap off the self..plenty left too.

Very good leads and info.
I followed up on the leads and did a little reading on the subject.
A good g1 bullet can make good hunting round and g7 bullet great for long range.
Are stuck with a g7? Or what is the deciding factor.
Bullet weight is base on twist.
And get it on reloading quality control to
Keep the Reload ammo consistent.

1/2MOA ki
Very good leads and info.
I followed up on the leads and did a little reading on the subject.
A good g1 bullet can make good hunting round and g7 bullet great for long range.
Are stuck with a g7? Or what is the deciding factor.
Bullet weight is base on twist.
And get it on reloading quality control to
Keep the Reload ammo consistent.
G7 and G1 are not bullet types its just a different way of calculating BC. Most bullets will list both or one or the other. I like using G7 for my ballistic apps and rangefinders but to each his own. G1 is always a bigger number so that sounds cool. Below is the Bullet Data for a Berger .284 175g Elite Hunter you can see it list both G7 and G1.

Another note twist is based on bullet length more than weight inherently a heavier modern bullet will be longer so weight does come into play. Monolithic/copper bullets are longer than lead since copper is lighter which means they require a faster twist. One of the biggest issues you are seeing with people not getting good groups with copper is a lot of factory especially older factory rifles don't have a fast enough twist to stabilize a lot of copper bullets. What you are seeing is a lot of now is guys like myself building rigs specifically for heavy for caliber bullets with faster twist. The big name rifle companies seem like they are starting to come around but not that fast.

Hopefully this kind of makes sense I am definitely far from an expert this is what I have gathered the more I have got into the long range stuff.

Caliber
7 mm

Bullet Weight
175 Grain

Product Line
Elite Hunter Hybrid

G1 BC

G7 BC

G7 Form Factor

Minimum Twist (or faster)
1:10"

Ogive Style
Elite Hunter Hybrid

Base Style
Boat Tail

Jacket
J4 Hunting Jacket

Sectional Density

Bullet Dia.

OAL

Base to Ogive

Nose Length

Bearing Surface

Boat Tail Length

Last edited:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
I’ll take accuracy all day. My 7mm rem mag shoots 168 gr bullets at only 2850fps. But it’s killed deer over 700 yards away with ease. Accuracy is key in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NBK

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu