Ultralight 1-2 person tent recommendations

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
Lets here some opinions on lightweight tents. I don't have a ton of experience but I did use a MSR Hubba Hubba NX-2 in Utah and I was impressed. Maybe the con would be it was a 3 pound 14 ounce tent. It was easy to set up and did well in the rain. It was roomy and seemed pretty rugged.

I am going to purchase something soon so help a guy out. What is your experience. Quality, durability and weight are all factors.

This was my Utah setup -

mymountainhome.jpg

I have been using the MSR hubba hubba for a few years. I really like the foot print and it’s durability but I think it’s on the heavy end of backpacking tents. I’m thinking about investing in a seek outside teepee.

Reactions: NBK
I use a seek outside floorless tent. I have the silver tip. If you want to save weight and still have space seek outside is hard be beat. One downside is they have a large footprint which is good for space but when you are spike camping you have to make sure you find an area large enough to pitch it. I love being able to cook inside the tent.

With good weather you can run a bivey or tarp.

if your looking ultralight start looking at some of the cottage shop brands.

Reactions: JakeSCH
For a budget backpacking tent, Eureka Spitfire. I’ve used them for years.

.5751E7C1-B201-4286-A311-4EBBED7BBA71.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NBK
Been eyeballing this setup for colder temps.

For light weight backpacking pretty hard to beat this Nemo Hornet 2p for 1 person there is plenty of room with Double doors and storage area on both sides weighing in at 2 pounds 1 ounce 8F77B5B8-48A9-4571-A22A-867609641DA7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: TRICER and NBK
I run a big agnes copper super 1p. Great tent, but would rather have nemo hornet 2p

I really like my tent to be
Water proof
Bug proof
Light as possible
Sorry guys i like a sealed floor.
I been bitten by bugs to many times.
I been in windy rain storms, and getting
Wet is not an option.
And it has to be durable.
Other than that cool.
3 season tent if says three seasons
I am good then look at weight.

For light weight backpacking pretty hard to beat this Nemo Hornet 2p for 1 person there is plenty of room with Double doors and storage area on both sides weighing in at 2 pounds 1 ounce

I bought this tent based on your recommendation from an older thread, very happy with it!

Easiest tent to setup/takedown ever.....and weighs nothing 1.7lbs tent only.

Not for everyone but I love it, it packs great, two vestibules & breathes in hot weather.
I set it up in the pickup bed, when I wake up open the air mattress Valve roll it all up together and store in the cab. Almost got I've been snowed in for two days once and it held up to 8" of wet snow

Easiest tent to setup/takedown ever.....and weighs nothing 1.7lbs tent only.

Not for everyone but I love it, it packs great, two vestibules & breathes in hot weather.
I set it up in the pickup bed, when I wake up open the air mattress Valve roll it all up together and store in the cab. Almost got I've been snowed in for two days once and it held up to 8" of wet snow

Drew, is this the tent you used when we went to AZ ?

Drew, is this the tent you used when we went to AZ ?
Yes I have 2 of them with the rain fly as well. As is they are great if you are gonna have good weather and you don’t want to deal with mosquitos etc. I think I got mine at the military surplus for like $30 each. The rain fly was over $100 though I think. Cool little tent and they are easy to set up.

Yes I have 2 of them with the rain fly as well. As is they are great if you are gonna have good weather and you don’t want to deal with mosquitos etc. I think I got mine at the military surplus for like $30 each. The rain fly was over $100 though I think. Cool little tent and they are easy to set up.
Got a couple too. Gonna have a couple more soon. The ones we get are permethrin treated. After one deployment they usually toss them. I keep the ones guys don’t want.
But I’ve been looking at the Seeks, too expensive so looked at luxe.

I've have my eye on the zpacks dupliex along with the stone glaicer system.

I use the Kuiu Summit Star 1p and it is great 95% of the time. Its right around a pound and sets up quickly. I'm not a tall guy but I am husky. If you are over 6' I would shy away but I have plenty of room side to side. There is plenty of room in the vestibule for my gear and I already pack around hiking poles so the weight addition for the tent was nominal. My only complaint is there is a condensation issue every once in a while. if I had to do it again I think I would have gone with the Summit Refuge 3 person tent. It's about 2lbs and more than doubles your space inside.

PS in the pics it's not set up correctly. I accidentally left a few stakes at home.

IMG_20200418_134257.jpgIMG_20200418_134338.jpg

IMG_20200418_134257.jpgIMG_20200418_134338.jpgIMG_20200418_134402.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu