Upland combo plate - IV report 12/26

WaterDawg

Nov 20, 2016
My nephew Jared is home from school for Christmas and I was able to take him hunting in the IV today. He wanted to shoot something - anything (legal) so we went to areas with quail, rabbits and ECDs in hopes of finding any of the above.

The first couple of stops were devoid of game so we kept hopscotching around to spots that have produced in the past. We spotted some quail and gave chase, with Jared bagging one to break the ice. Next we went to a couple of ECD spots that were completely dead?? Then we landed at an odd little spot that held a nice quail covey last time down. With good teamwork, I was able to nail two of them as Jared flushed them out.

Next stop was an ECD spot that was really good for about 45 minutes, with each of us killing five or six and another few lost in the brush and canals. The birds then went completely AWOL so we took a break, field dressed the mornings kill and had lunch.
C1832F82-C72F-4653-995A-4B2FD873A4CB.jpeg

Later we hit a spot that usually has quail and rabbits and again, teamwork paid off as we took turns flushing the quail from thick bushes out toward the other hunter. We each got another quail here and wiffed badly on a few others.
Last stop was another combo quail and rabbit area where we missed a few quail but finished up with a couple of cottontails before dark.
6C5C6F44-89CA-414A-B712-8C7F522E83CF.jpeg
Nice cool weather and didn’t see another hunter all day. We didn’t set any records but ended with a decent batch of feathers and fur. Good luck everyone!

Awesome!! Around this time of year I also only see a few hunters around, it almost feels like I am hunting out of season.. but not. The game starts calming down a bunch

My nephew Jared is home from school for Christmas and I was able to take him hunting in the IV today. He wanted to shoot something - anything (legal) so we went to areas with quail, rabbits and ECDs in hopes of finding any of the above.

The first couple of stops were devoid of game so we kept hopscotching around to spots that have produced in the past. We spotted some quail and gave chase, with Jared bagging one to break the ice. Next we went to a couple of ECD spots that were completely dead?? Then we landed at an odd little spot that held a nice quail covey last time down. With good teamwork, I was able to nail two of them as Jared flushed them out.

Next stop was an ECD spot that was really good for about 45 minutes, with each of us killing five or six and another few lost in the brush and canals. The birds then went completely AWOL so we took a break, field dressed the mornings kill and had lunch.
View attachment 37458

Later we hit a spot that usually has quail and rabbits and again, teamwork paid off as we took turns flushing the quail from thick bushes out toward the other hunter. We each got another quail here and wiffed badly on a few others.
Last stop was another combo quail and rabbit area where we missed a few quail but finished up with a couple of cottontails before dark.
View attachment 37457
Nice cool weather and didn’t see another hunter all day. We didn’t set any records but ended with a decent batch of feathers and fur. Good luck everyone!
Dang that's a good day.
Good eating there.

Congrats. Nice to get a few and always better with family too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jared is majoring in Criminal Justice at Rogers State University in Tulsa. Born and raised in the OC, he wants to be F & G warden in a state that promotes hunting and fishing (like OK). Really proud of him, although I miss hunting and fishing with him.

Awesome!! Around this time of year I also only see a few hunters around, it almost feels like I am hunting out of season.. but not. The game starts calming down a bunch
Rick, it did feel like the off season down there with no other hunters around. And of course, with mourning doves having closed a few days earlier, one spot we checked was loaded with them.

Its windy today. I hit the range by Superstition Mountains and checked zero on a few rifles.

Oh and the traffic of off roaders coming in was non stop for the 2 hrs I was there. It’s going to be crazy busy for blm rangers now till new year s.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu