Upland loads

paulfishes

Dec 12, 2012
Non-lead shell recommendations for doves, quail, pheasant.

Ive been using steel on the refuge for doves, and dont like it. Does not have the horsepower of lead. Looking for ideas of a more lethal mid range load for dove/quail. Also need ideas regarding tungsten vs bismuth or another environMETAL product for pheasants.

Im very satisfied with heviShot for turkeys, however, a shot or two for turkeys at 5 or 10 bucks a pop is one thing, not gonna pay 5 bucks a shell for 50 shots at doves.

Steel seems to work just find as long as the shots are within 30-35 yds....In fact, the increased speed should help most guys with the lead factor on speedy doves....I've shot the Winchester 2 3/4" 1 1/8 7's, and they work good....Standard modified choke....Where this steel BS will hurt are in the smaller gauges.

I've shot a lot of euros at all ranges with the 1375fps Federal 6's they sell at WalMart. They kill them at any distance my lead 7-1/2's do. Just bought a few cases of the Kent Steel Dove 1400fps 6's at Turner's, they should work great. I plan to use the 7's on mourning dove hunts at least for the early season. Only issues I have are the increased cost and difficulty in finding ammo.
I don't shoot a lot of pheasants but the same steel 3's I use for ducks seem to work very well at normal distances when the bird holds. I'm sure HeviShot 6's or 5's would be very effective if you want to shoot the birds that flush way off also.

Wal-Mart sells their steel dove loads (6's & 7's) for $ 5.94 a box....Really not much different than standard lead dove loads.

Like Jeff said, I use Kent #3 duck loads for pheasant....In my 20 gauge in Montana, I use the Hevi-Shot #6's for pheasant, huns, & sharpies.

Reactions: Smokey58

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu