Utah Antlerless Draw

I should be getting hit for two doe tags for the boys. I know they did the antlered drawing in waves and it took a few days. No charges yet. It will stink if they don't draw.

I called UT my results came out points only but the boys haven't processed yet. She said they are planning on hitting cards and sending out emails until this Thursday. She said be patient and wait until Thursday at the latest for all of the results

Utah just charged me for a cow elk and a cow moose tag. Moose tag is east canyon Davis North salt lake . Elk is Panguitch lake. Had one point for each
Congrats on the moose tag that is a very low draw odd only 2.2% chance for a non res 1 point. Seems like it is mostly private are you gonna get access or are you planning on going public? Only about 25% is public land. Here is the info go hunt lists for this unit.

The species of moose found in Utah are Shiras Moose and are the smallest subspecies of moose in body weight and antler size, but mature bulls can still approach 1,000 lbs. Utah has some great moose hunting. This unit can be one of the more difficult units in the state to hunt with limited numbers of animals, but it still holds some great bulls. Some bulls scoring from 140-150” can be found here. Low numbers of animals and private property can make for a challenging hunt. There are moose on public land in the National Forest; you will have to scout in order to find them. Bull moose are very territorial throughout much of the year and only abandon good cover and food sources during the rut or when under heavy pressure. Research and practice bull moose calls and rutting behavior. Hunt throughout the day to increase bull sightings. Focus on areas with thick brush and water. At lower elevations, a mapping system showing land ownership will be helpful. Climbing high and glassing long distances can pay off. Information is easy to find and most past hunters should be willing to help and share information with current tag holders. Hunters will want to scout prior to the hunt to identify areas that hold moose. Look in the bottom of the larger creek drainages along water.

This season takes place during the rut, and bulls will typically be on the move looking for cows to breed. Bulls will begin to gravitate toward cows in late summer through mid-September. Calling, rattling and mimicking fighting behavior can peak curiosity in mature bulls enough to bring them out of dense cover. Both bull and cow calls are effective. Old burns or clear-cuts can be good. Moose are often seen along roads where sunlight reaches the ground and allows small trees and brush to grow. Heavy rainfall and thunderstorms can settle in this area during the first portion of the hunt, and as temperatures drop into October, snowfall can create problems. Hunters should take precautions and plan accordingly with proper gear. Public moose hunts in Utah are deemed once-in-a-lifetime, as hunters are ineligible to apply for another permit after successfully drawing a tag once. Moose are generally not as aggressive as elk in responding to calls, so waiting long periods after a calling sequence is often necessary. Calm, cold mornings are best for calling due to sound travel and bulls being more active.

Reactions: Lungpopper
Spent some time in the area looking for elk and trout last summer, public land should be doable
Thanks for sharing what you found.

Reactions: TRICER
I got my email today, i got points across the board. Got to keep building them up.

Points only for the hatchets...thank the lord for that...just would not feel right about shooting any more mammals this year...AZandCA are gonna take a beating as it is...gonna be an 7 plus dead mammal year..uggh..and dude..way to get that girl moose tag!! Thats pretty freakin awesome!

Sorry to hear that, hopefully that makes your boys a lock for next year
Ya they had points for this one and it was supposed to be 100% with no points. Cant win them all I guess. Should have put in for a cow hunt instead, I was just looking for quick hitter that we could bust out. better luck next year I guess.

Forgot to update. Because of my work schedule, I drove out for weekend trips, scouted the hunted opening weekend and the following one. Drive is about 14 hours each way. Hiked close to 20 miles opening weekend and saw only one moose that ducked into some brush before we got a good look. The next weekend , ran into a deer hunter who had seen a cow earlier in the morning. Hiked up the drainage and she was down in the creek still. Put 2 7-08 rounds through her lungs while she wa on her feet, and another 2 for insurance after she fell. Took my gf and I from 4pm-6am to get it quartered and packed out. D235B684-BA12-4908-9AA4-C302676BDE06.jpeg0EB74D0E-7172-4CD7-8897-D39AD3A61ACF.jpeg59B237EB-1752-4B92-9945-579DE2207B8E.jpeg

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu