Utah high country!

Brian marable

Nov 22, 2017
Temecula
Leaving on the first hunt of the year this up coming Thursday for 14 days hopefully be able to get a fuzzy buck finally! Has anybody ever got elevation sickness? Ive been to about 9,800ft before hunting but we are going to 11-12k. Not too worried about it but ya never know. Anyone else obsessed with velvet bucks?

I knew one guy who got it but that was all he worried about., that's why he got it. Will I get elevations sickness, what can I do if it happens, how long will it last, what's it feel like. Don't worry about it and it won't happen.

Reactions: Brian marable
Last year I pre-emptively took WA altitude advantage for hunting at 10k. No issues other than feeling slow.

Altitude sickness is no joke on my my goat hunt my dad and I were both suffering from it bad massive headaches

One of the best things you can do that will absolutely help is to get there as many days ahead of time as you can and go to elevation and let your body acclimate. This is what free breath high altitude climbers do before they try and go for high elevations. It's science proven, the body adjusts to it if given time and your body will adjust itself accordinly and begin to render more oxygen to the body. Read about it as it is a known fact.

The last two are the best advice you can get. Drink lots of water / liquid IV and get there days early to acclimate...and no alcohol!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu