Valley Bird hunting recommendations?

Vermonster

Dec 14, 2012
Didn't make it out this year for early dove, haven't hunted pheasant in 15+ years out there, and never tried quail there. But, got a new lab this spring, she's 8 months old and birdy as heck. Wanted to run out there one of these next 2 weekends, bring my 9 and 13 year old, and just see if we can get her around some birds and work her a little. So my question is, anyone have any recommendations on where to go for quail or pheasants? Don't expect any specific spots, just a general area of where to look on public land. I think the last time I hunted pheasants, we just walked around the knee high grass fields east of Calexico near Bonds Corner. My dove spot up near Niland always turns out lots of Euros, and some other mixed birds, but I haven't spoken to the owner in a couple years, so not sure if I still have permission there and don't have a way to contact him.

Just want to have a chance at bumping into something. Won't have her off lease, she will be on a 30 foot guide. And I'll be helping the boys shoot something mainly. Just want to have a little fun. Also, never hunted the late season, just early.

Thanks for any info you've got and willing to share...…

If you get into any of the salt cedar drainage's they will hold quail. When hunting for pheasants I have had luck near the border.

Sean,

Give me a call...I'll try to help where I can...Pheasant population is way, way down...Quail pop is way up...Euros & mourners are much thinner now, but should still be some.

Not from SD so please forgive the question if it sounds dumb.

With today's political climate so-to-speak, do Border Patrol agents get nervy about Hunters being near the border? Can you actually hunt right up to the border? Or is there a certain amount of space you must be away from the actual border itself? Just curious.

With today's political climate so-to-speak, do Border Patrol agents get nervy about Hunters being near the border? Can you actually hunt right up to the border? Or is there a certain amount of space you must be away from the actual border itself? Just curious.

Never had an issue with the BP and their presence is abundant...Good guys...Much of the border has the All-American Canal separating the countries.

Never had an issue with the BP and their presence is abundant...Good guys...Much of the border has the All-American Canal separating the countries.

Something new I'll have to search up and read up on, "All-American Canal", Hmmph. Almost sounds like a fun theme park, HA!

I've hunted right up against that fence. Called a few coveys over the fence too, lol. BP has never given me an issue. Infact, i've been given some good intel in the past regarding the game I'm hunting.

Though I have seen remnants of some sketchy border activity, I've never felt pressure from BP or any illegals.

IV is not that big, one can traverse the whole thing in a day and find some killer spots or not. I'll head out for the first time this year and do a full day looking around for the goods... yotes, bobcats, quail and gallos. I'm debating if I should get my duck validation... he guys do I need the federal also if i'm just jump shooting them from drain ditches?

IV is not that big, one can traverse the whole thing in a day and find some killer spots or not. I'll head out for the first time this year and do a full day looking around for the goods... yotes, bobcats, quail and gallos. I'm debating if I should get my duck validation... he guys do I need the federal also if i'm just jump shooting them from drain ditches?

If you shoot ducks or geese in any manner....You need a federal duck stamp

It's your country, Don't let a federal agent tell what you can or cannot do in your country as long as you follow the state game laws

Ummmmmm….. There actually are certain areas up near the fence that are considered federal land, and can have controlled access by federal authorities. So if they tell you something, I wouldn't necessarily take that attitude...….

Hunted as close to the border as possible and haven't had an issue in the past. They may be dumb but they ain't stupid.

Who, the BP or the birds are not dumb to be hanging out there?

Thanks everyone. Steve, I will reach out if we decide to go. Did you ever post your daughter's deer, btw?

Ummmmmm….. There actually are certain areas up near the fence that are considered federal land, and can have controlled access by federal authorities. So if they tell you something, I wouldn't necessarily take that attitude...….

Who, the BP or the birds are not dumb to be hanging out there?

Thanks everyone. Steve, I will reach out if we decide to go. Did you ever post your daughter's deer, btw?

Sean,

It's the big game thread, "I Hate Copper"...….lol

Reactions: Vermonster
I don’t know which direction youre coming in from, but if it’s from the north I can tell you there is no need to go all the way down to the border for quail. We got plenty of quail action a couple of weeks ago around English up north and also along the east highline in the north half of the IV. Lots of quail this season.

Reactions: Vermonster
I don’t know which direction youre coming in from, but if it’s from the north I can tell you there is no need to go all the way down to the border for quail. We got plenty of quail action a couple of weeks ago around English up north and also along the east highline in the north half of the IV. Lots of quail this season.

Coming from, San Diego. Usually go out the 8...….

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu