Veteran youtube watcher, brand new hunter

Blopple

Aug 29, 2022
San Diego
Hello everybody!

New to the forum, and new to hunting in general.

I decided a few months back that I wanted an activity to get me out into the wilderness a bit more and hunting seemed like a great option. The extent of my hunting experience is shooting a pheasant with my uncle when I was like 11 years old, and a pretty decent amount of spearfishing each summer. I barely remember the pheasant, and I think it's unlikely that I'll encounter many fish on public land. I'm essentially starting from complete scratch which feels pretty exciting.

I've managed to get myself a shotgun and a hunting license so far. I've tried to learn as much as I can by way of the internet/youtube, but I think at this point I just need to get going.

I'm pretty familiar with shooting rifles from my Marine Corps days, but I have relatively limited experience with shotguns. I'd love to kill some clay and improve my shooting, but opportunities seem somewhat sparse. Most places I've checked out really only offer clay shooting once or twice a week if that and a sporadic work schedule reduces that even further. I'd love to find somewhere that I can shoot more regularly!

On the hunting front I am especially interested in going after quail, dove, rabbits, and turkeys. I'd love to hunt ducks, but ducks seem like they have a pretty serious barrier to entry. My current plan is to go hike around McCain Valley and see if I can find a few spots for birds when the season opens up, and hopefully find a few rabbits in the process.

I'm very excited to learn and would love any tips or advice you might have to offer! I'd also be thrilled to find a hunting buddy or two, or even just to tag along on a hunt as a pack mule/observer!

Reactions: Littlmama
You have a perfect plan. Really. Also, shooting once a week is MORE than enough, way more. Once you learn to lead animals you don't forget it (or at least not much). I don't practice with my shotgun anymore and knock birds down without issue, I don't say that to brag.

You now have the hardest part, actually getting out there. The spot you mentioned is fine but the more birds and shots you can get off the quicker you can learn. The opener for dove is great for that. You'll do great.

The common thing you both mentioned is just to go do it, I appreciate the encouragement!

It's absolutely probable I am overestimating the amount of range shooting I need to do in order to feel at least somewhat proficient haha, but more practice never hurt anyone (only their wallets!)

Dove season should be awesome! I'm going to try and head out on the 2nd in the late morning. Not as many birds, but more time to find the ones I hopefully manage to down! Would it be a good idea to avoid the first Saturday/Sunday? Other hunters are great, but I would like to try and avoid the busiest days if at all possible.

The common thing you both mentioned is just to go do it, I appreciate the encouragement!

It's absolutely probable I am overestimating the amount of range shooting I need to do in order to feel at least somewhat proficient haha, but more practice never hurt anyone (only their wallets!)

Dove season should be awesome! I'm going to try and head out on the 2nd in the late morning. Not as many birds, but more time to find the ones I hopefully manage to down! Would it be a good idea to avoid the first Saturday/Sunday? Other hunters are great, but I would like to try and avoid the busiest days if at all possible.

It would be best to be there for the opener to see where all the shots are coming from. Even if you are just driving around listening, watching and learning. Look where they are setup, how they are setup, what the field looks like and so on.

Opening day produces orders of magnitude more birds than any other time. At least that is what I have witnessed.

Go to the Imperial valley if you want to shoot dove this season and scout it before hand if you can ( as well as for quail and rabbits and waterfowl.) ( put in for waterfowl draws at the refuges and if you get one ask for help and I'm sure someone will be willing to meet up and show you the ropes) Know the laws that are enforced there as you would more often than not be hunting over privately owned agriculture for upland game. Maybe "Ilovesprig" can chime in and give you more direction as I gave up the I.V. years ago because of too many crazy once a year L.A. wanna be hunters I would run into that behaved in ways that I wanted nothing to do with. McCain valley would be pretty low on my list considering how developed it has become with infrastructure.

Bloppel,

Welcome to SCH...The best advice I can give you is to attend a NWTF meeting....You will learn more there with guys that hunt locally and are more than willing to help you...Trust me, finding good hunting partners is no small feat.

As far as this upcoming season...Like has been mentioned, the Imperial Valley is by far your best bet...Just find a friend, fill up the vehicle with gas, and start driving anywhere from the Mexican border to the Wister W.A...Look for roost trees, water, and feed...Half the fun is scouting (more than 1/2, IMO).

Another opportunity is waterfowl hunting...Put in for the draws at Wister & San Jacinto W.A.'s...I can walk you thru it, because can be confusing...If you get drawn...You will need a mentor...ID'ing ducks incorrectly can be costly...As far as gear goes...I have plenty as do many of the guys that attend the NWTF meeting.

All the best and PM anytime

Steve

ps...NWTF stands for the National Wild Turkey Federation

Reactions: dhntr48 and 180ls1
Bloppel,

Welcome to SCH...The best advice I can give you is to attend a NWTF meeting....You will learn more there with guys that hunt locally and are more than willing to help you...Trust me, finding good hunting partners is no small feat.

As far as this upcoming season...Like has been mentioned, the Imperial Valley is by far your best bet...Just find a friend, fill up the vehicle with gas, and start driving anywhere from the Mexican border to the Wister W.A...Look for roost trees, water, and feed...Half the fun is scouting (more than 1/2, IMO).

Another opportunity is waterfowl hunting...Put in for the draws at Wister & San Jacinto W.A.'s...I can walk you thru it, because can be confusing...If you get drawn...You will need a mentor...ID'ing ducks incorrectly can be costly...As far as gear goes...I have plenty as do many of the guys that attend the NWTF meeting.

All the best and PM anytime

Steve

ps...NWTF stands for the National Wild Turkey Federation

As "Cookie Chainsaw Randolph" once said:
"Your a great guy Steve"!

Reactions: Morgan1776
Man, seeing so much activity on an independent forum like this is so cool. You all seem to know each other. Love it!

Bummer to hear about McCain Valley being a bit more developed than I was lead to believe. I'm still definitely going to check it out. It's a nice quick drive for me in South San Diego. Definitely won't have time to make the trek out to I.V. before the first, but from 9/2 to 9/9 I've only got a single day of work. Sounds like the truck is gonna get some miles on it!

Is I.V. better for doves because of more open landscape so better scouting, larger land area, or it simply being a good bit farther from San Diego and less developed?

I'll definitely check out a NWTF meeting. I saw a schedule and location in separate thread I believe. Plus, I just think turkeys are cool. They'd hang out in my suburban Sacramento backyard as a kid sometimes.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Man, seeing so much activity on an independent forum like this is so cool. You all seem to know each other. Love it!

Bummer to hear about McCain Valley being a bit more developed than I was lead to believe. I'm still definitely going to check it out. It's a nice quick drive for me in South San Diego. Definitely won't have time to make the trek out to I.V. before the first, but from 9/2 to 9/9 I've only got a single day of work. Sounds like the truck is gonna get some miles on it!

Is I.V. better for doves because of more open landscape so better scouting, larger land area, or it simply being a good bit farther from San Diego and less developed?

I'll definitely check out a NWTF meeting. I saw a schedule and location in separate thread I believe. Plus, I just think turkeys are cool. They'd hang out in my suburban Sacramento backyard as a kid sometimes.

Don't give up on McCain Valley area...Lots of public lands nearby south of Int. 8

The IV just has the right kind of habitat for doves (feedlots, wheat fields, bermuda seed, etc.) and dry desert lands nearby...Plus, the shooting regulations are much more relaxed...Here's a couple to know.

If the field isn't posted, you can hunt it (row crops excepted)

Must be 150 yds from any dwelling, outbuilding, or barn.

Can't shoot over roads

Imperial Co. does have a 50 yd rule from any named road, but rarely enforced

There are a number of Heritage Fields that open to the public as is Wister Unit & Finney-Ramer Units.

.heritage fields.jpg

Ahhh, there we go. It's basically a giant marsh in the middle of the desert. More water, better food, more birds?

I had read a few of those rules, they do seem much better (especially the un-posted land one)! I gotta admit that's kinda where you lost me though. Heritage fields being fields that are grown/maintained specifically for dove and that are open to public hunting for the season and don't require a separate drawing/permit like the waterfowl in Wister does? The DFW website makes it sound like that is the case, but I wasn't able to find updated maps for 2022. Do they use the same fields each year, or not post which fields they are until after opening day?

I've spent my entire day poring over maps. BLM vs private vs DFW lands. I feel like Magellan except I'm still pretty lost haha.

Ahhh, there we go. It's basically a giant marsh in the middle of the desert. More water, better food, more birds?

I had read a few of those rules, they do seem much better (especially the un-posted land one)! I gotta admit that's kinda where you lost me though. Heritage fields being fields that are grown/maintained specifically for dove and that are open to public hunting for the season and don't require a separate drawing/permit like the waterfowl in Wister does? The DFW website makes it sound like that is the case, but I wasn't able to find updated maps for 2022. Do they use the same fields each year, or not post which fields they are until after opening day?

I've spent my entire day poring over maps. BLM vs private vs DFW lands. I feel like Magellan except I'm still pretty lost haha.

Pretty simple...If it's posted, it's a no go unless you get permission...Unlike other areas that have to be posted, fenced, or cultivated.

The Heritage fields are for those that want to hunt them...There are quail and they do plant some pheasant during those seasons...The fields are the same as 2021 map I provided...Not all are planted historically (wheat), but normally have doves...No fee

To hunt Wister Unit for dove, you only need to sign in at a kiosk...There used to be multiple places to sign in...Now, I think the only kiosk is by the headquarters...Open the first 15 days...No fee

Finney-Ramer Unit did have a sign-in kiosk, but last time I was there, I didn't see it...Finney-Ramer is open from July 1st-Jan 31st for hunting...No fee

To hunt waterfowl at Wister, there is a draw for specified shoot days (Wed, Sat, & Sun)...You can apply for those shoot days starting in September (DFW website)...You can also hunt Wister by walking on or as we call it, the "sweat line"...There is a daily fee and you can purchase a 1 day, 2 day, or season pass prior to hunting.

.1661865996646.png

Last edited:
Welcome Blopple! I used to have the advantage of Grandpa's friends heading out a week early and doing all the scouting for me. When they passed I had to start going at it alone. Been DIY in Blythe for the past 10 years and all I can tell you is that nothing replaces the act of actually heading out there and seeing the land for yourself. Use the maps to go in with a tentative plan and ease your anxiety, but once you get there just follow your senses. As ilovespring mentioned, out it those farmland areas it makes it really easy with the fact that if it is not posted then have at it.

I have learned that I need to make the time for that extra day ahead of opening day to check out the land and decide on a morning hunt spot. Nothing worse than showing up to the X-Spot from last year at zero-dark-thirty only to find out an hour after sunrise that there are absolutely no birds there this year.

Good luck out there!

Ilovesprig, that's a ton of info and I really appreciate you taking the time to share it. I feel much more prepared now!

Scout, scout, scout seems like the trending advice and in the following years I'll make sure to knock it out before the season starts. Unfortunately this year I cut it a little too close for good proper scouting (of doves at least).

I'll report back if I manage to kill myself some food, and hopefully will see a few of you at a NWTF meeting.

Ilovesprig, that's a ton of info and I really appreciate you taking the time to share it. I feel much more prepared now!

Scout, scout, scout seems like the trending advice and in the following years I'll make sure to knock it out before the season starts. Unfortunately this year I cut it a little too close for good proper scouting (of doves at least).

I'll report back if I manage to kill myself some food, and hopefully will see a few of you at a NWTF meeting.

It's always my pleasure...PM me, if you need any more info.

Steve

ps...Take lots of pictures...Years from now, you'll look back and you may say, "I used to hunt there".... ;)

Reactions: Blopple and NBK

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu