Vortex 18X56 vs 20X56

They probably stopped making them because they didn’t sell well. In my mind the field of view on both of those, but especially the 20X is frustratingly small. That would be the kind of thing I would suggest you use instead of a spotter, if you really hate glassing through a spotter. Scanning with that kind of magnification at anything but very long distance sounds like a headache to me, the small field of view makes it tough to determine what area you’re looking at while scanning. Strongly recommend you try before you buy. 15’s are very popular for a reason.

They probably stopped making them because they didn’t sell well. In my mind the field of view on both of those, but especially the 20X is frustratingly small. That would be the kind of thing I would suggest you use instead of a spotter, if you really hate glassing through a spotter. Scanning with that kind of magnification at anything but very long distance sounds like a headache to me, the small field of view makes it tough to determine what area you’re looking at while scanning. Strongly recommend you try before you buy. 15’s are very popular for a reason.
Kellendv nice write up.
I think try before you is a good suggestion.
LB

Since reading the advice from other posters. I have been convinced
From my previous philosophy.
My thoughts is this.
If I could afford new binos,
I would surely test out the hardware
Before I would buy it.
I made rash decisions buying glass
Which I regret later.
Being said excellent glass is expensive investment yet we'll worth it. Fellas here have given excellent reviews. Every one is different.
Being said . Going from 10 x to 15x or 20-60x spotting scope or binos.
Is game changer.
Advantage of binos vs spotting scope is better visual perspective. Thus easier on the eyes. All binoculars are are two telescopes connected together and are in sync visually.
Advantage of a spotting scope is less
Weight. Less expensive. Each individual person has to decide.

Reactions: Hiker of the Woods
Can't imagine needing 20X bino's if you're carrying a spotter also. Was your hunting before the move in smaller areas or have you used 15's on a tripod before? If you haven't it may surprise you how far away you can spot a deer and antlers or lack of.

15x56- exit pupil is 3.73
18x56- exit pupil is 3.11
20x56- exit pupil is 2.88

The lower the exit pupil # the less light gets through the Bino’s to your eyes. You want to stay close to 4 or larger. That’s why 8x32 or 10x42 binos are so popular. If you intend to use the binos for low light I would say stick to the 15 power. I don’t think you would be happy with the higher magnification in low light.

I am not an expert on high magnification deer glassing.
But have had my fair share of
Boots on the ground.
My quality of glass is not as good as it could be. So I am probably not The best for a recommendation.
I have not had the privilege to hold 15 x binos. But i don't doubt of the validity.
The design of binoculars is this.
there must be a ratio to maintain for best viewing.

combination of the following:
field of view
focal length of the occular and
objective lense.
magnification of the occular eye piece.
every persons eye sight, age , 20/30, 30/30 vision and so on.
the quality and design of the optics.
The design of the product.
the precision of manufacturing.
atmospheric conditions.

the point of the above is this.
the combination of power(eye piece) and the size of the objective lense.
is designed for best viewing.
focal length of binos and occular eye piece, the diameter of the objective lense.

unfortunately only trial and error by the user will determine if it is acceptable.

15 X vs 20 x
As the magnification increases
So does the loss of clarity.
This is more evident in less quality product. However the object has
Or better stated more visual definition. Thus see the size and
Definition of the deer.
My opinion is this, the engineers and marketing must felt it
Would have value for those who
Seek it.
How a person decides what quality
And price is good enough is a personal decision.
Buy the best one can justify.
And decide what he or she can
Live with. A regular Ford , Lincoln,
Or a Ferrari.

Reactions: Hiker of the Woods
Tons of great optics info on this thead!
Blacktail Slayer,
To help with your question about the spotter...
I’ve looked through the razor HD spotting scopes and they’re serious quality glass for the money. I personally use Viper 10x50 binoculars and a vortex 20-60x60 spotter. Love the lightweight aspect of a smaller spotting scope but in low light conditions there is zero comparison to a larger objective. If I was to buy a new spotting scope I would take the extra weight of a 80 or 85mm objective lens to get the more light. In AZ I had my spotter on a tripod next to a 20-60x80 vortex spotter and it was night and day difference. It was evening and getting dark. I could barely see the antlers on a bull elk while the 80 spotter was still clear as day. Hope this helps.

Josh

15 X vs 20 x
As the magnification increases
So does the loss of clarity.
This is more evident in less quality product.

Longbow hit the nail on the head with this one. To help with your bino search, I used the vortex vulture Hd 10x56 for 3 seasons before I broke them:sob:. This year I got to use the vulture 15x56 and I couldn’t believe the loss of clarity going from the 10x to the 15x. I also got to look through the swaro 15x and holy smokes. No comparison. If you’re set on the vortex kaibabs go with the 18x. The loss of clarity won’t be worth the extra 2x. If you can save up some money I would highly recommend getting higher end glass for 15s. The poor clarity is WAY more obvious with higher magnification.

Josh

Blacktail slayer,
If money is an issue the Vortex Viper spotting scopes are also really solid. Just something to consider. You won’t be disappointed with the swaro 15s. Good 15s are far more valuable than a spotting scope IMO. If it’s a big one you’ll be able to tell with the 15s. If you’re struggling to tell how big a buck is with good 15s than it’s probably not that big. If you can’t tell if it’s a buck or a doe it’s probably not what your after.

Josh

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu