Vortex diamondback 12x50 binos

Americanpride

Jul 23, 2018
I was thinking about picking up a pair these for scouting. I have the dbs 10x42 and like them a lot. What do you guys think? Is it worth it to keep the 10x42s or sell and get the 12x50s?

Oh and any recommendations in tripods for these binos?

Here is what I got:

Then I got this:

I bought an extra insert for the tripod so I can keep the bino adaptor on one and the spotting scope on another for a quick change. I keep the 10s in my bino harness on my chest and the 12s on the tripod if I am looking at very large areas. OR, 12s with me and spotting scope on tripod. Depends on area and need. I like to desert hunt where you are covering lots of territory with your eyes so I like to reach out and view someone!!!

This is what works for me and gives me flexibility.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Awesome, thank you so much for your .02. I'll be trying out desert hunting this year and I'll also be saving up for a spotting scope. Vortex sells an tripod adapter that I might pick up. Although that rest doesn't look bad.

I was looking at those but saw an ad online for the dbs with a badlands harness for 230. I'm a budget kinda guy. Plus I'm going scouting next weekend and won't have that much saved for the razors. Believe me,I would love the razors or the viper.

Take you 10x42s to the store and compare the 'detail' views with whatever, out the front door at 200 yards. Don't rush to buy, if you don't see a 'clear' improvement.

Reactions: Muledeerhunter
I have 10x42 looking into purchasing some 15x56 for the tripod just picked up a vortex tripod and adapter not bad for what I paid.

No point in carrying 10s and 12s. Pick one or the other to carry. I would focus on getting a pair of 15s if you want something more than 10

Reactions: rbduffer
I have the same set up Vortex 10x42 dmb. I just picked up the Vortex 15x56 Vulture HD and I could not be happier. I bought them off Amazon and paid $506 shipped. For the money I am very satisfied with the 15x56's. I purchased a $64 tripod of Amazon as well and It works great.

Would it be better to get those or spend an extra 200 for the razor hd 16-48x65 spotting scope? Did you get the vortex tripod adapter for the binos?

Would it be better to get those or spend an extra 200 for the razor hd 16-48x65 spotting scope? Did you get the vortex tripod adapter for the binos?

In my experience the spotting scope and the 15’s serve a Different purpose. I have glassed using the grid method with my 10 x 42‘s and my 15 x 56’s. I turn up a lot more deer with my 15’s at greater distances obviously. If I want to get a real close look at that animal then I would pull out the spotter.

It also depends on the terrain your hunting. I am spotting deer out at 1.5 miles with my 15s. You can see the bulk of the animal, but cant really See the important details. The Binos would be much more comfortable than the spotting scope for long hours glassing.

Yes on the adaptor, but the vortex tripod adaptor came in the box with the Vultures. I did not have to buy that separate.

In my experience the spotting scope and the 15’s serve a Different purpose. I have glassed using the grid method with my 10 x 42‘s and my 15 x 56’s. I turn up a lot more deer with my 15’s at greater distances obviously. If I want to get a real close look at that animal then I would pull out the spotter.

It also depends on the terrain your hunting. I am spotting deer out at 1.5 miles with my 15s. You can see the bulk of the animal, but cant really See the important details. The Binos would be much more comfortable than the spotting scope for long hours glassing.

Yes on the adaptor, but the vortex tripod adaptor came in the box with the Vultures. I did not have to buy that separate.

Ok I'll looking at the vultures right now. I'll be trying my luck in different terrain types of San Diego county. I just need to study the deer before the opener to get an understanding of their movements, bedding, and eating habits. I might get the summit tripod and possibly pick up a window mount.

Ok I'll looking at the vultures right now. I'll be trying my luck in different terrain types of San Diego county. I just need to study the deer before the opener to get an understanding of their movements, bedding, and eating habits. I might get the summit tripod and possibly pick up a window mount.

If you want to save some money on the tripod, I recommend "Rangers 57” Ultra Compact and Lightweight Aluminum Tripod with 360° Panorama Ball head". I bought it off amazon and it is very sturdy and works great with the Vultures. It is also very compact. Link is bellow.

Reactions: Sdhunt17
Thanks for your input SDhunt17. I think I'm going to definitely buy the vultures. That's a nice looking tripod. I hope it will be able to withstand some abuse.

Thanks for your input SDhunt17. I think I'm going to definitely buy the vultures. That's a nice looking tripod. I hope it will be able to withstand some abuse.

Your welcome! For the money, you will be very satisfied with both. I have spent a lot of time in the field with that tripod and it has held up great.

Your welcome! For the money, you will be very satisfied with both. I have spent a lot of time in the field with that tripod and it has held up great.

That's all I needed to hear. Thanks, I'll be clicking the buy here shortly. Looking forward to scouting soon.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu