Voyager 1.5 day, 4/29/22 - 5/1/22

ke1234567

Jul 24, 2018
Santa Clarita, CA
I’ve fished this boat a couple times, with Chuck as co-captain and now captain. He’s an absolute fish killer. Headed south with the rest of the fleet, maybe 40 miles off the coast of Ensenada. Got there about 3:00 am on Sat. A few guys picked off a few with deep drop knife jigs, anything from about 30-90 lbs, I got nada. Few stops before bfast burritos, nada

Got going on the day fishing. Every stop was a couple blue fin. Same grade. Maybe 60-90 lbs. Again, knife jigs and some colt snipers. I got nada

Morning and daytime, guys caught BFT on jigs with 40-80 lb. The guys on 40# took a little longer

Burgers around 1230 pm and a few more stops for the afternoon. I don’t recall much getting hung in the afternoon and I still got nada

Dinner was steaks and pesto pasta. Very nice job Riley.

And now what you’ve been waiting for. The night bite. We prob started hitting it at about 8-8:3 hrs. I ran a heavy Japanese jig that I tried all day. Similar to SK. A variety of knife, SK and other heavy jigs were used. I recall at least one was on and I got my first bite at about 9-9:30 pm. Running my Terez xtra heavy, speedmaster 25 with 100# braid and 100# mono. Deckhands Danny and Alex slammed my drag shut, hit the easy button and cranking was on. Took about 30-40 mins and hung an 80-90 lb BFT. As soon as jig was out of his mouth and Chuck got us into another spot, I dropped again. Prob 10 drops and I was bit again. Took another 40 mins (I was a bit gassed) but #2 was on the deck. Between the 2 stops for the night bite, we prob added 10 more to the count. Prob had 14 at dinner time. A couple (not mine) we’re close or at being cows

Chuck prob stayed out an extra hour. He, and his crew, Danny, Alex, Matt (mud) and Riley did an awesome job. Absolute fish killers.

Attachments

• IMG_8954.JPG
    IMG_8954.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_8961.JPG
    IMG_8961.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8972.JPG
    IMG_8972.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_8978.JPG
    IMG_8978.JPG
    258 KB · Views: 46
I got my first taste of blue fin at a sushi joint last night...if the fish you pulled up was even 1/10th as tender and delicious, I am highly jealous! Wonderful catch

BFT is amazing, however, fresh yellowfin tuna or yellowtail, still my favorite. Here's a shot at the bluefin (maguro/otoro, and some toro) from last night, and some yellowfin rolls from Oct 2021.

Attachments

• IMG_7636.JPG
    IMG_7636.JPG
    489.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_E7634.JPG
    IMG_E7634.JPG
    310 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4556.JPG
    IMG_4556.JPG
    348.6 KB · Views: 13
Smoke one of the tenderloins........eat with cheese and crackers damn good!

So how much sleep did you get? The night bite and day bite makes for some tired fisherman.

Well done!

Yup, I remember you guys right there next to us. I was one of the guys with a fish. I picked up both of mine in about 1.5 hrs, on that night bite. They were definitely on the chew. Seemed like every type of jig got them going.

Reactions: Hunterfisher
ya i got one at night about 40 lbs but we did get a few big ones after we got next to you guys. was a good trip for sure

Reactions: ke1234567
With fishing, you gotta go when the bite is on. It's like the rut. Best time to go is when you know they are there. For whatever reason, the BFT have decided to show up very early. The night bite like we're seeing is usually seen in the fall. This is amazing and we are truly lucky. However, it won't last forever. If they are biting, book a trip, because right now, they are filled up or filling up fast. I got onto a private charter in two weeks, and another 2-day in mid-June. Then a private charter 2-day in October. That'll be the rest of my fishing for the year. I think I probably have over 100 lbs of sushi grade fish in my freezer right now. It's amazing times right now if you're a fisherman.

Reactions: sportyg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu