Walking though an area I am about to hunt/glass - Advice needed

180ls1

Nov 2, 2020
Poway
A lot of the areas I will be hunting this year will *require* me to walk through an area on my way in that I will end up turning around and glassing. I know some deer will be within 100 yards to 1 mile. How big of a deal is this in the dark if I keep my light down and just move through? Any tips or tricks to help out? I can walk around but it would require serious effort. Most of these spots already will have me hiking more than 5 miles and 1000 ft elevation, going around would double that and add a lot more brush-busting.

Lol one time I followed up two doe with my headlamp on, about 1k elevation and a couple of miles. Every once in a while they would look back at me and i could see their eyes glow.

They didn't care, bedded down in a saddle and i walked within 50y of them at first light.

Reactions: 180ls1
a lot of different opinions on this, keep the time in the area to a very minimum, as to keep your scent to a minimum. most the time deer don't care but then are alert for humans. stay high and glass, a don't walk to much , and if you do glass more walk less. good luck

Anyway you can get a truck in there? asking for those that might feel uncomfortable about the subject of road hunting..

a lot of different opinions on this, keep the time in the area to a very minimum, as to keep your scent to a minimum. most the time deer don't care but then are alert for humans. stay high and glass, a don't walk to much , and if you do glass more walk less. good luck

That's the game plan.

I use these in the desert.. they work. Might help keep the noise down as you cross the valley at night.

I use these in the desert.. they work. Might help keep the noise down as you cross the valley at night.
How many miles can you get on those before they wear out?

I have some leather "Islam temple shoes" that I wear when I am trying to be real sneaky but those only go on with my boots off right before the stalk.

Hahaha, I just sold my 2004 F-150 on Monday that I drove 222056 miles in the last 17+ years. I'm driving my son's Silverado while he's on deployment I hope and pray not too many of my friends see me in it....
lol!

My cummins had 224k when I sold it. No complaints. Current Toyota has 203K and it's easily the best built/most reliable (my domestics have been fine but not toyota reliability). It's not winning any awards for cool features though.

That being said...the cockblockers have a 2012 Tacoma that goes places that my old 90 YJ goes with ease....little to small in the cab for me though...hard to get that rifle out when it's go time .

I had a 72 toyota land bruiser, a real beast. Only got stuck once but got out with 4 WD, assist in the form of a backhoe. The tires wouldn't get traction pointing up.

How many miles can you get on those before they wear out?

I have some leather "Islam temple shoes" that I wear when I am trying to be real sneaky but those only go on with my boots off right before the stalk.
I just use them short distances. I have them in my pack and bust them on when needed. I started with cut out pieces of carpet, they worked great, only thing I couldn't remove them so easy. My sneek have survived 2 seasons with minimal wear.

That being said...the cockblockers have a 2012 Tacoma that goes places that my old 90 YJ goes with ease....little to small in the cab for me though...hard to get that rifle out when it's go time .
So my “Toyota” is actually a lifted Lexus which I managed to further damage the rear bumper scouting last weekend. Can I join the cool kids road hunting crew?

Attachments

• IMG_0668.jpg
    IMG_0668.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 13
prolly shoulda pinned this in the vaccinated thread...damn...truck talk...

So my “Toyota” is actually a lifted Lexus which I managed to further damage the rear bumper scouting last weekend. Can I join the cool kids road hunting crew?
yup....that qualifies!!

Matty,

Back in the day, the ultimate road (& off road) hunting vehicle were the Willy's jeeps and early CJ's...Scabbard on the side, windshields down... :blush:

ps...I've come full circle...Back to liking the road hunts...;)

.scan032.jpgscan030.jpgscan035.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu