Weekend at the lake

HortoTheSlayer

May 17, 2018
Boise Idaho
I was lucky enough to spend the last 5 days with my wife and daughter at a private lake for 4th of July weekend and my wifes bday. Spent most our time at the lake swimming and hanging out and doing some fishing.
20200703_145113.jpg
The first 3 days I think I had 1 nibble..I was trying spinnerbaits, jerkbaits and swimbaits but nothing seemed to work..on Sunday it was my wifes bday and she wanted to do a little fishing in the evening so I switched over to some soft plastic worms I picked up from bass pro as a final attempt..lo and behold they start trying to take my bait! I was trying to set the hook too early and my bait would come flying out..so I held back and watched them take off before setting the hook and landed my first ever bass!
20200705_201059.jpg
20200705_192507.jpg
20200705_192459.jpg
867784340.jpg
Ended up catching 5 bass in under 2 hrs and my wife ended up catching one of her own as well! The sun started to set and the mosquitos came out so we called it a night. My daughter wasn't too happy about the fact that we had to throw them back..she was set on eating fish that night..I had to explain to her about catch and release and she felt that it was a waste of time and bait lol

We also got the chance to see a hen and her 2 poults walking around outside our window earlier in the day.
20200705_124303.jpg
Overall it was an awesome trip. Even took my girls for a drive into Julian for some lunch and pie of course!
20200706_201257.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome trip and congratulations! Your daughter sounds pretty cool.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
@CAL'NDN I tend to think she takes after her old man! ;) not sure how I felt about throwing fish back either but man are those bass fun to catch!

@ilovesprig I will definitely be adding some more worms to my tackle bag and I'll look out for some senkos! Already trying to see when I can get back out again.

Yea she does. I agree with you though I'm 100% C&R on Bass. The rest usually go swimming in grease well American shad are usually released also.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Couple things I know from having my own pond, big baits that do not exist in the pond don't work ( I use a flyrod with small indigenious like lures. (old term in trout fishing "match the hatch",) in other words look at what they are taking and try and imitate it. stirng up the pond with activity will shut down the bite so if fishing is the priority don't swim and dive as it will spook them.

@CAL'NDN I tend to think she takes after her old man! ;) not sure how I felt about throwing fish back either but man are those bass fun to catch!

@ilovesprig I will definitely be adding some more worms to my tackle bag and I'll look out for some senkos! Already trying to see when I can get back out again.

George,

I have 1000's of plastic worms...I'll bring some to the next NWTF meeting, you can have em'...:blush:

Skinny Senkos?...You're on your own (8 bucks a bag)... :joy:

• Haha

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu