Weighing in at 1 Ton

Ummm - the bear has been extinct for 11,000 years. Nobody hunted this bear. It did the hunting.

I was referring to bears in general when I used "they." We have had bigger bears than that hunted and killed not too long ago in our local mountains FYI.

Reactions: Cali Ridge Runner
Pics of these bears..??
I was referring to the California Grizzly, same bear on our flag. I am not sure about pictures but you can go to the Musuem in Valley Center and check it out.

Here is one from there. Pretty wild.

"The bear was hoisted onto Maxcy’s cattle scales where it weighed 2,200 pounds and was declared to be the largest grizzly bear ever killed in California.The bear was skinned and cut up, with more than one pound of lead found inside its head."

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: ilovesprig
Ignoring current history and going out of state and hunting them myself and stalking- minimum - 338 with the big boy bullets. Guiding another hunter who has shot one - 45-70 lever action Marlin with Buffalo bore hard casts and a healthy dose of courage.. All else set aside call the Larry and his .380 and we could end up with a better gene pool....

If I was with someone a .22 would do it. One to my partner's kneecap and I could get the heck outta there while the bear went after him. :joy:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu