What a Day!....Ducks & Bucks

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Started with an invite from close friend Greg Caso (owner of Apex Plumbing) on his #1 draw for San Jacinto W.A.......Josh his SIL and Tanner were also along for the hunt.....The 12:30 am wake up call came early, but that's the routine for our public area waterfowling.....SJ didn't disappoint.....Beautiful morning, actual decoying birds, and 28 ducks (20 widgeon) by 10:00 am this time of year is a fine day.....Really fun.

After lunch, Tanner said, "Hey I sure would like to get a meat buck, it's been awhile"....I said, I have just the buck for you....lol....This buck has been kicking every other buck out of the area and he's got that screwed up gene with the big body, but small antlers.....We get to the mountains at 2:00 pm and it was about an hour before we see the 1st does. At 3:30 pm, the targeted buck runs down the mountain, but gives no shot because he's chasing a doe and tiny spike....Right back up the mountain.....30 minutes later here he comes again chasing a doe.....This time he stops and Bingo!....Tanner let's him have it.....At least a 3 or 4 year old buck with barely legal antlers.....Well, he should be a good eater.

Long day, but well worth it......A few pix

.002.JPG 018.JPG 012.JPG 004.JPG 021.JPG 023.JPG

Awesome! You posted a pic of that buck the other day... honestly never seen a mature buck with antlers like that. Great buck!

Awesome Steve. Nice to see the crew back together for a hunt!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Awesome Steve. Nice to see the crew back together for a hunt!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yep Nick.....Don't get much time with them these days.....I've spent a lot of hours with those two boys with lots of great memories.....From their 1st turkeys to taking them both to Canada.

Reactions: Goyaałé
Great kills... Hey Steve, some hunting group has your buck pic up questioning the size of the rack on the buck and blah blah blah

Rick,

Which site or group is it?.....Thanks.....Maybe I can explain why this buck was taken.....Beside the fact, it was perfectly legal.

Hi Steve,

Its a group called "CALIFORNIA HUNTER" on facebook... not sure how to post a link to it. Seems like the guy (mike sanders) might be looking for "likes".

Thanks Rick.....I've had a number of calls.....Pretty much sucks that a guy can take a picture off my Facebook thread, then I have no way to defend Tanner shooting it or me allowing it.....The deer was legal, validated, and weighted 103 lbs on the hook at Specialty Meats.

People trying to get noticed. Nice job to you and Tanner. I'd still hunt with you Steve.;););)

People are idiots Steve I would say go catch a big large mouth bass and grill it up on Facebook. See how he likes that. This whole antlers thing is ridiculous they all taste the same. Anyone who claims to be a meat hunter and then complains about that buck is an idiot. I would have shot that buck in a heartbeat and the way things are going for me this season with only maybe one more morning available to me the first sporky gets it and I have no shame in that. Meat in the freezer for my family.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu