What a great time at Sutherland

MasonP

Nov 21, 2021
A bit of a late post about the hunt last wednesday, but had a great time out at Sutherland. For a city boy, seeing a sky filled with stars is definitely a rare occurrence, and a clear sky at 0330 out there was amazing.

Robert and I got set up and ready to go around 0500, listed to the spring thunder sound off as the sun was coming up and then...that was about the extent of it. Browns Cove skunked us, just a few hens made their way over from the Corral mid morning and early afternoon.

We sat for the full time, pushing it to the limit and city staff was coming to find us as we were driving out. Just before final shootin time, a hen snuck up on me and was hanging out about 3 feet from me, the broad scared me when I turned my head. No toms or jakes following unfortunately.

But I definitely napped under a big ol' oak tree, watched some hens and a deer wander around through my bino's, and learned a lot listening to Robert give me tips over the radio.

Great time, and 12 hours sitting there definitely beat 12 hours of sitting at work as I am now. Cant wait for the next trip.

Mason,

Eventually, it will always be about the experience...Thank you for sharing this one... :clap:
And thank you for the hard work at the TTU, which is what allowed me to have this experience! Im looking forward to fall turkey (should have my own shotgun by then) and deer season.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Mason,

How about instead of fall turkey, we get after some ducks, doves, and other flying creatures?........... :blush:
Ya know what....Im game. Since Ill be shotgun shopping soon anyway, might as well harvest some other critters with it along with those turkey.

12 hours of sitting....hard core turkey dedication...My a.d.d would never allow it.. way to grind it out dude

Reactions: 180ls1
12 hours of sitting....hard core turkey dedication...My a.d.d would never allow it.. way to grind it out dude
I struggled with it near the end, kept glancing at my phone, but since it was my first time going out with the intention of shooting something (rather than hiking and having my rifle in case I see a coyote) I wanted to be keyed in and moving as little as possible to not spook any birds. I also knew that I had 1 day and 1 day only on this land, so I was going to make the most of it. If I was hunting public with multiple days to hunt, I probably would have packed it in a few hours earlier and gone back the next day.

Reactions: sportyg
Way to stick it out..at least you heard and saw some Turkeys..hunted Bloomdale last year and only birds around were 2 bald eagles..saw a bunch of deer and had a yote come sniff out my decoy..hopefully them boys slip up on the 20th..if they do I'll be waiting in the Corral for them ;)

Way to stick it out..at least you heard and saw some Turkeys..hunted Bloomdale last year and only birds around were 2 bald eagles..saw a bunch of deer and had a yote come sniff out my decoy..hopefully them boys slip up on the 20th..if they do I'll be waiting in the Corral for them ;)
Seeing the deer was cool for me, first one in the wild. Robert had one come within 10 yards of him, just chillin and lookin at him, confused on wtf he was because the ghillie suit.

Corral has a pretty sweet set up. The oaks right next to the river were CRAWLING with life. Horses, birds, deer, and was the only spot that had a tom that was spotted.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I struggled with it near the end, kept glancing at my phone, but since it was my first time going out with the intention of shooting something (rather than hiking and having my rifle in case I see a coyote) I wanted to be keyed in and moving as little as possible to not spook any birds. I also knew that I had 1 day and 1 day only on this land, so I was going to make the most of it. If I was hunting public with multiple days to hunt, I probably would have packed it in a few hours earlier and gone back the next day.
Funny things happen the more time you spend out there. I'll never forget in AZ when a buck walked through camp. We were talking, eating sandwiches outside the trailer and probably a mile from where the deer hang out, and here comes a buck 80 yards from us. I was so caught off guard I blew it but I'll be better prepared for next time.

Funny things happen the more time you spend out there. I'll never forget in AZ when a buck walked through camp. We were talking, eating sandwiches outside the trailer and probably a mile from where the deer hang out, and here comes a buck 80 yards from us. I was so caught off guard I blew it but I'll be better prepared for next time.
Yeah I was sitting there glassing the spot the turkeys had been crossing the stream at, praying even a jake would make his way across as it was about 3:50pm, 10min left in the hunt. Kept hearing clucking and was like "wtf annoying ass animal is clucking in my ear nonstop right now?!"

Oh. Its the species Im hunting.

Why not hunt till 5?
The city wouldnt let us. City regs say 4pm, state says 5pm, but since we are on city land, they were gunna lock the gates on us if we werent out by about 430/445pm and it was about a 10ish minute drive out. We sat until about 350/355pm, then walked back to the cars, packed up, had a cold brew, and started the drive back out off the property.

Reactions: dhntr48

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu