What does your ultimate long range hunting rifle build look like?

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
If you could build your dream rifle for hunting what would it be. From top to bottom, what would the components look like? What action, stock, barrel, scope, rings etc. The entire build!

What caliber and why?

If you have the dream rifle - show us pictures and break it down for us regarding the build spec.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I'm thinking a 338 Lapua built to shoot 250's with a high grade action and barrel along with composite components and all the best add on's (Triggers. mags etc..) as we learn what is state of the art at the moment is along with the best glass and a complete rework of reloading gear and many months of relearning precision reloading over and over along with field electronics/devices to put it all together. This is and would be a constantly evolving project., along with a Sherpa who has a backpack to tote that monster. Otherwise I think it would need to be moderate in weight and I would look at established calibers and builds that make sense as far as what I can physically carry and reachs as far as I can practically shoot. For me a 7 mag gets it done every day of the week but I could drop down to a 270 or 25-06 built in a mountain form as I get old and feeble . Thats just me though...

My interpretation of a long range hunting rifle involves backpacking and lots of miles.

Caliber 7mm with some Balls 7 SAUM, 280 AI, 7 Mag, 28 Nos would be my top choices

Carbon fiber stock with a good vertical grip negative cheek comb. You need to be able to control it and have it fit you.

Light barrel under 3lbs either a stainless #3 or smaller diameter or a carbon fiber barrel sendero style. It needs a brake so you can watch your shots and get back on target

scope needs to be something light with a good low end magnification

all in the rifle needs to be between 8-9lbs I don’t want to carry a tank but I also don’t want something so light that can’t keep it stable. You Don’t want to carry an 11-12 lb rifle 8-10 miles a day but you don’t want a rifle so light that you can’t effectively shoot it long range. I want my rifle to settle itself into my pack or bipod. I don’t want it bouncing everywhere and I dont want it to feel like a sack of bricks on my shoulder.

stay tuned my interpretation of the perfect LR mountain Rifle build will be posted in the near future and it will have blood to it’s name this fall.

Last edited:
Trick question. Can’t be done with 1 rifle.
For sure Darryl, NBK is trying to tricks us (wink, wink) into fumbling out an answer, no good answer to the question, too many variables- skill, terrain, game pursued and enviroment & equipment etc.... That's why we all need at least a couple dozen long guns to pick from when we draw. Best I advice I can give is try and explain to your wife as to why there is no money in the bank account and you keep drawing tags..

Following...because if I knew I probably would have attempted buying it by now.

I forgot one important very important aspect.

A good backcountry rifle needs a good bipod. Something that is lightweight fits in your pocket and can adjust from 6 inches to 5 feet tall. A bipod that can handle any situation that the backcountry throws at it. Wether it’s shooting prone on a rock, on your knees in tall grass, or standing and shooting over a bush.

More details on where to get this game changing bipod coming in June! But here is a teaser of that bipod and my build.
272EA4EE-233F-43E6-B330-208131ACDF1A.jpeg

A good backcountry rifle needs a good bipod. Something that is lightweight fits in your pocket and can adjust from 6 inches to 5 feet tall. A bipod that can handle any situation that the backcountry throws at it. Wether it’s shooting prone on a rock, on your knees in tall grass, or standing and shooting over a bush.

More details on where to get this game changing bipod coming in June! But here is a teaser of that bipod and my build.

Are you modifying the Javelin Pro Hunt? I am impressed with how strong the magnet is on mine...takes a firm yank to get it off.

View attachment 43799
Is that a McMillan game hunter stock?

Mesa Precision Altitude
Nice! I just heard about these the other day on
Mesa Precision Altitude
Nice! I am waiting on my McMillan stock and it looks almost identical to this.

Reactions: TRICER

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu