what is legal to carry in big game sweason

AVKNY

Nov 30, 2020
I am having a hard time finding out if it is legal to carry a 22Mag pistol and my rifle while big game hunting.

It’s not legal to hunt big game with rimfire, so you could get some grief for that. I know you’re not hunting with it, but the warden might see it differently.

Reactions: AVKNY
Trying to remember how they made this work.
You should only have in your position the Tag that you are hunting.
Reasoning:
Say your are out Hunting Pig (year Around season) and you are in a Dear zone not yet open to Dear hunting, The warden could say you are equipped to Hunt dear out of season just because you have the equipment and your Tag to do so.
I think that is the way it was presented ? Not positive but it did raise a huge debate over a Jesses a while back.
CDFW game wardens have the authority to attempt to read your mind and then take actions against you for what they believed you were going to do. There I think that is it.
OOH well is was good debate while it lasted.

Some thing similar happened to a buddy, He was setting on the edge of a dirt road looking for a place to hunt. A warden was up the road glassing him, after (I forget how many minutes ?) the warden came driving down the road and commands to see his hands, they were in his coat pockets it was cold that morning.
The Warden then gives him the 5th degree and wants to know why he was hunting over a know water source. which was a dried up spring that had not run in all the years I had been hunting there.
So his rifle setting on its bipod beside his little folding chair, Hands in his Pockets. The warden proclaims he was hunting because he was in one spot for more than X minutes which proves he was hunting, true story. But he had a 38 revolver in his chest pocket and that was OK it was a caliber consistent with self defense but if it had been a 22 the warden would be thinking that is was for some other devious reason such as shooting ground squirrels.

Reactions: AVKNY
Trying to remember how they made this work.
You should only have in your position the Tag that you are hunting.
Reasoning:
Say your are out Hunting Pig (year Around season) and you are in a Dear zone not yet open to Dear hunting, The warden could say you are equipped to Hunt dear out of season just because you have the equipment and your Tag to do so.
I think that is the way it was presented ? Not positive but it did raise a huge debate over a Jesses a while back.
CDFW game wardens have the authority to attempt to read your mind and then take actions against you for what they believed you were going to do. There I think that is it.
OOH well is was good debate while it lasted.
A farmer and his wife got their crops planted on time, and off to a good start, so they decided to take a short vacation. They rented a cabin on a nearby lake for a few days of fishing and relaxation.

One morning after several hours of fishing, the farmer returned to the cabin for lunch and a nap. Although not familiar with the lake, the wife decides to take the boat out. She motored out a short distance, anchors, puts her feet up, and begins to read her book. The peace and solitude were magnificent.

A short time after settling in to her novel, a Game Warden pulled up next to her in his boat. He said, “Good morning, Ma’am. What are you doing?” “Reading a book,” she replies, thinking: Isn’t that obvious?

“You’re in a Restricted Fishing Area,” the Game Warden informs her. “I’m sorry, officer, but I’m not fishing. I’m reading.” “Yes, but I see you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start fishing at any moment. I’ll have to take you in and write you up.”

“If you do that, I’ll have to charge you with sexual assault,” said the woman. “But I haven’t even touched you!” says the Warden. “That’s true, but you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start at any moment.”

The Game warden said, “Have a nice day, Ma’am,” and and tipped his cap as he pulled away.

I have all the respect that Wardens deserve, and when I am approached I have My hands in view and a smile with how are you this morning. But their are those I am the power ones out there, and you know how they are soon as they open their mouths.
I have only ran onto a couple of those, shut my mouth and let them run theirs, I don't give them a reason to be at their worse.

Did not realize that wardens job was to entrap hunters for doing what is legal.
NO NO NO its snare Hunters that may or possibly do something illegal. A totally righteous cause to Protect the innocent animals from the Heartless advances of modern day hunters.
1634601314841.png

I've heard you can be ticketed for spotlighting if you have a flashlight in your pack that's too bright... during the day. LOL. Who the hell checks crap like that, god forbid you might have to locate an animal you shot before dusk or walk in someplace at dark without tripping.

Did not realize that wardens job was to entrap hunters for doing what is legal.
They do it!

Some years ago on BD, a former game warden (some of you know who I’m talking about) told a story about how they would put a bowl of dog food at an empty cabin and nail guys hunting bears within 400 yards of bait. He caught a lot of hell for that story, and rightfully so, but that’s what they would do. After that he only told stories of the good deeds they did.

I respect the Game Wardens, if they eff-up and I'll take it to the courts. Not much I can do in the field. Not every person is honest and these people are in every profession. Let's not give a warden a bad name just because of a few rotten apples. Every encounter I've had with wardens has been pleasant and I've been hunting and fishing for over 30 years.... Yes, they have looked to bust me but that is their job and my job was to be legal and was.

I am having a hard time finding out if it is legal to carry a 22Mag pistol and my rifle while big game hunting.
Yes you can. There is no reason you can not hunt rabbit with your 22 while your hunting deer with your rifle. Not that you would, but you can.

If anybody would like to post a link stating otherwise, i would welcome it.

Reactions: ilovesprig
NEVER FORGET, years back a few of us were hunting dove buy the dump out back of Palo Verde. Sofarsa the warden rolls up on us, my buddy and i are limited on dove and just kickn by the truck. Game warden checks are birds and other stuff and he motors off. My buddy and i grab more shells and hit the scrub looking for rabbit, while out in the field here comes Sofarsa all heated thinking he's caught us dove hunting again. "What are you guys doing" he yells from just a few yards away " i know you already have limits" NEVER FORGET the look on his face when we both said we have not shot one rabbit yet. We nicknamed him SOFARSA SO GOOD.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu