What is your favorite duck load?

Dave3006

Nov 26, 2019
I have typically shot Kent Fasteel 3", #2, 1 1/4 ounce out of my Benelli M2 with an extended modified choke. I only hunt ducks. No geese. I am having a hard time finding Kent available. Macks Prairie Wings used to have good deals on cases of these shells. But, they are not stocking them now.

Do you guys have any suggestions for a good replacement? I need to pick up another case of something.

I can order online because I have an FFL03/COE.

Thanks.

I shoot Kent 3" 1 1/8 3's....3's seem to be harder to find than Kent 2's, but after patterning both....I found the 3's had a much denser and more uniform pattern....My gun of choice is the Benelli SBE with the standard Crio, modified choke.

The 1 1/4 oz will help some, but again the pattern in the 1 1/4 3's was perfect...Kent's also shoot cleaner than other shells.

.016.JPG

Im on the same train kents all day long. Seems tome to be the cleanest burning. I never get burned powder in my face and ive shot most brands. Best fer dah buck.

Thanks. I’ll look at #3s instead.

What is your preference on speed? Do the real fast loads mess up your leads?

Last edited:

So imo the fast loads with a full choke give u a shot string. Open the choke and less shot string. My 2 cents.
So ive noticed like the 1550
1 1/8 with a full choke fer a string.
The 1400 1 1/4 with a mod will have less string effect and prolly a better pattern. Just my opinion.

1450 fps is not slow, but the older I've gotten...The better I like 1560 (Kent)...Most your other brands are 1550 fps...You will get used to it, but it takes take some practice and time from shooting the slower lead.

ps...NEVER shoot a lead full choke with steel...A lead modified is the equivalent to a steel full...I shoot lead modified...There are many who like the lead improved cylinder.

I have been shooting the Kent 3” #4’s with a modified choke this year and really liking it so far. have not been able to find the 3” locally to replenish this week though, had to get 2 3/4 at big 5 a few days ago as a backup.

3.5" Black Cloud 2's out of a stock Winchester IC. I order through Rogers and a local FFL. Been using these for years since my days on the river shooting honkers to shooting specks up here.

At the end of the day, it's what works best for you and your gun, otherwise it becomes a Chevy vs Ford debate...and we all know Chevy wins that battle :)

• Haha
Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu