What's your Favorite Duck Recipe?

TheGDog

Nov 28, 2018
XX
Figured I'd ask all you Ducker guys here on SCH for a good recipe for the Duck nature was nice enough to slide my way.

The goal here is to do up this bird for a little Christmas dinner for my little family.

Assuming you breasted it.

flower, salt, pepper each breast
a little oil in a skillet
cook for a just a few minutes on each side serve it with mach potatoes, and veggies.

You need to eat duck medium rare.

Some guys soak it in milk but I don't do that. My family all likes the taste of waterfowl.

if you are going to pluck it and go all out you can brine it in salt water for 24 hours and then cook it like you would a turkey.

Reactions: TheGDog
I figure, for presentation, that I'll need to gut it but keep it whole. Lop off the neck and keep it to cook as a treat for the cook ;)

So probably will do a brine for it. Not sure how bad the vicera situation is on these animals, so figure that's a safer way for me to do it.

I also noted w/ the Bobcat that after brine'ing it the vicera clear sheathing turns more whitish and is easier to slip off the meat as a last bit of processing before re-rinse and then prep work on the meals other ingredients.

Question: How much salt do you end up adding into the water you fill in around it with in the plasticware while it sits in the fridge? Just wanna make sure I have a better idea for HOW MUCH salt is necessary per what size container? Or, like HOW MUCH salt when it's just one bird, vs two birds, etc.

Pulled this off of DU

Basic Brine
1/2 gallon water
1/2 cup kosher or any coarse salt
1/2 cup brown sugar (optional)
1/2 cup pickling spices
Heat 2 cups of the water in a saucepan over medium heat. Add salt, brown sugar, and pickling spices. Stir until the salt is dissolved. Add this mixture to the remaining water and cool completely in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours before soaking the duck or goose meat.

And I definitely wanna cook it with a skin-on method so the fat can help to protect it from overcooking and getting dry.

Maybe as a last step after the last water-drain and rinse, cover with a hand rub blend of seasonings placed into extra virgin olive oil, but mixed to a consistency of a more of a paste of the herbs and spices, and always with a capful or two of Liquid Smoke brand hickory flavoring into it. And always give a last dusting with Lawry's Seasoned Salt! to hold the mix in place so hardly no drip!

Pulled this off of DU

Basic Brine
1/2 gallon water
1/2 cup kosher or any coarse salt
1/2 cup brown sugar (optional)
1/2 cup pickling spices
Heat 2 cups of the water in a saucepan over medium heat. Add salt, brown sugar, and pickling spices. Stir until the salt is dissolved. Add this mixture to the remaining water and cool completely in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours before soaking the duck or goose meat.

Why would you need to wait for 3 hrs before soaking the meat? I mean sure, wait enough for the water to cool down enough so you're not inadvertantly cooking the meat by placing it in this mixture, sure. But not 3 whole hours. Maybe 1 hour if the pot is large to allow sufficient cool-down. But wouldn't ya want a little warmth in there to try to help draw in the flavors from the spice into the muscle?

Because as soon as you put it back into the fridge, it'll start dropping down in temp fairly fast in those plasticware containers

Whole plucked teal split down the back seasoned with lots of salt and pepper. Fried in a pan with butter and glazed with honey. I like to keep things simple.
e898b5d6d04958d967b35b7b7e044f57.jpg
e898b5d6d04958d967b35b7b7e044f57.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks GREAT! The honey does magic, doesn't it? Makes it that nice color all over we like.

Reactions: Driz
Bro honey and citrus just works so well with duck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu