What's your non-popper dove recipe?

sdolan617

May 30, 2018
South OC
Nothing says labor day weekend like a batch of good old dove poppers hot off the traegar. Poppers are obviously on the menu for this weekend but I'm looking to do a little experimenting. What's your non-popper dove recipe?

I tried Hank Shaw's General Tso's Pheasant obviously subbing dove for pheasant (shown below) and it was a major crowd pleaser - even got the elusive seal of approval from the mother in law.

Dove1.jpg

Attachments

• Dove2.jpg
    Dove2.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Dove3.jpg
    Dove3.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 42
Nice! I tried Hank Shaw's "Grilled Doves a la Mancha" recipe and it was fantastic!
402d815b4fd3ad6e0446947bbc9ac1c8.jpg

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Take the breast, bone in, pound flat and fry in butter........eat the breastbone and meat

20200503_171526.jpg
20200503_181022.jpg
Family favorite's been dove tacos. The last batch I tried doing al pastor style, marinated in red chile, spices, and pineapple, then skewered up with bacon and grilled. Chopped up with onion, cilantro, and fresh salsa.

Another good one that I do with doves or ducks is asian style lettuce cups. Mince the meat then chop up some water chestnuts, carrot, green onion and mix it up with hoisin sauce, sesame oil, and sriracha. Then put it in a lettuce cup. Easy and healthy too.

View attachment 45801
View attachment 45802
Family favorite's been dove tacos. The last batch I tried doing al pastor style, marinated in red chile, spices, and pineapple, then skewered up with bacon and grilled. Chopped up with onion, cilantro, and fresh salsa.

Another good one that I do with doves or ducks is asian style lettuce cups. Mince the meat then chop up some water chestnuts, carrot, green onion and mix it up with hoisin sauce, sesame oil, and sriracha. Then put it in a lettuce cup. Easy and healthy too.
not sure what you like more the dove , or the beer.

Damn I'm going need to go back into the field to try all these :laughing: asian lettuce cups are a killer idea, those are already in heavy rotation in our household

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Damn looks good! I think I found a winner for the whole doves... I have all of Hanks cookbooks and I think I've yet to find a recipe I didn't like
I received the Pheasant Quail book for a gift last Christmas. Totally agree, such great recipes in there! Excited to try more out this season

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Reactions: Blkpowder Hunter
Doves on a stick aka Dove Kabobs. I'll look for the recipe, saw it in Western Outdoor News years ago.
This isn't the same article, but it's the same recipe.

Flour S&P garlic powder, roll breast in mix. Heat olive oil in deep pan add fresh rosemary add breast cook until close to done, add a few oz. of beer or white win cove and cook one more min. Place cooked breast on paper towel to absorb excess oil. Eat while hot.

Reactions: sdolan617
Cut meat off breast. Marinade in Italian dressing. Make up some rice pilaf. Sear meat in pan with the dressing and serve over the rice. Not sure where I discovered this but it's my favorite. I "made" it up years ago but I'm sure I read it somewhere before that.

I was never a huge fan of dove, having tried a myriad of different popper recipes over the years. They were good, just not something that I craved all that much. In fact, we gave away alot of doves over the years to the working poor in the Palo Verde Valley.

Hank Shaw wrote an article several years back about his being invited to put on a feed at a private ranch in Central CA. He required that all hunters pluck their birds whole and not breast them out. He added that if you were not a fan of dove and had given up on changing your opinion, you should try Dove A La Mancha.

I did... and he was right! They are a real game changer and very easy to make. Now I look forward to bringing two days worth of limits...

I stayed home this year due to Covid, not wanting to be penned up in a motel with the usual band of strangers. I will probably get out at some time and plan on trying Hank's date poppers next...

I always make a dove strogonoff. Put the breasts in a dutch oven, add cream of celery and cream of mushroom soup to cover, bake for an hour, covered, add sour cream, cook another 20 min. uncovered, ready to go. Serve over noodles or brown rice.

I usually just cut the meat off the breast and pan sear them skin side down with a little salt and pepper and flip. They don't need much more then that eat as little bites or chop up and use the meat for tacos. The legs and wings I give to the cat and he eats them in the corner while making growling sounds, apparently he really like them.

I grill them whole with Olive oil, a little garlic, salt and pepper. I serve them with a basil dipping sauce. (Basil, garlic, onions, crackers, cheese, olive oil, a little jalapeno, some lettuce and blend it all..) Careful with the onions, if you put too much it will ruin the taste.

Target sells this SoyVey Teriyaki sauce that is a great marinade. I’ve done a few of the recipes listed above too and honestly love everything I’ve tried. Problem is my kids love them too so they go way too quick!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu