When all hopes were lost.

Rodriiggs

Jul 13, 2018
After hunting hard all season , putting in mile after mile and only glassing doe after doe with no luck and high hunting pressure I had basically lost all hopes . I was going to stay home on closing day because of how exhausted i was, but i still had that thought of “what if” , so i texted my buddy late at night letting him know of a plan i had to get to a spot that looked promising and he agreed it sounded promising . Next morning i had trouble getting out of bed but i managed . So we rolled up to the trail and made our way through passing and going beyond all of the hunters . It took us about maybe almost 2 hours to get to our set location, bushwhacking half of the way there . Once we were there it was not looking as promising as we thought there was little to no sign of deer but we were already in some deep shit so no going back we had to make our way out a different way so we were making our way through the area trying to pick out a deer that might of been a straggler . So with no sign of deer around me and my buddy just started hiking and conversating our way out . After a little my buddy spotted a doe in the distance running up the most densely covered hill side and we started to run into more deer sign a lot fresher to but yet we continued walking along not thinking much of it . About 15 minutes after that we came up this little hill side thinking and hoping there might be something on the other side and sure enough once i got to the top i spotted a deer walking along below us at about 150 yards and i told my buddy to stop .At first it just looked like a doe but then i put my scope on him just to make sure and he did look like a doe but then he flicked his ear and sure enough he was a buck , So after that i just waited for him to get broadside and as soon as he did i pulled the trigger , unsure if i hit him or not i let em have another but the first one would of done the job i blew his lungs and just skimmed the top of his heart . He didn’t go 50 yards and expired . And just like that i got myself a last day buck . We ended up walking 10.5 miles getting through some pretty rough terrain and getting to the truck pretty late . I couldn’t be any more satisfied with my 2x2.

.8CC5BC95-EB20-4020-BD78-0AB2202807B0.jpegF4C2332F-3854-440D-A38A-7D33DD21FD6F.jpeg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu