When pheasants were king

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
As a youth, there weren't many places you couldn't go in California that didn't have pheasant and pheasant hunting...Shot my 1st rooster near LA River bed and Crawdad Creek (Compton)...Shot plenty around Delamo Blvd. & the present day 605 freeway (OC)...I remember when I played baseball in Stockton and how great the pheasant hunting was in the entire San Joaquin was...Sac, Delevan, Grey Lodge, Grizzly Island were loaded...When I moved to San Diego in '74, I couldn't believe the amount of pheasant in San Diego north county and around the San Luis Rey River valley...You were hard pressed to see more pheasant anywhere compared to the San Jacinto W.A in the middle 90's...Lastly, there was the IV...In the early 90's asparagus became the crop of choice and the pheasant population boomed...Boy, do I miss those days.

.1st rooster 1962.jpgstockton ca. 1970.jpgBosco and IV 1992.jpgIV roosters & Doves 11-1999.jpgsac roosters 1973.jpgSan J opener 1992.jpg006.JPGducks,doves,pheasants & deer 11-10 &11 2007 011.jpg

Would love to get after some pheasants! Last Sept I think I saw a glimpse of one while dove hunting in the IV but it was around 115° so wasn't sure if I was just seeing things..those look like some fun times Steve..I dig the green el camino! How old were you in the 1st pic?

Incredible. I love pheasant hunting. A lot of healthy looking birds there. Still hoping the good old days will return one day.

I love hunting pheasant!!! most my hunting has been pheasant but in south dakota where they are plentiful and big

:heart:
Would love to get after some pheasants! Last Sept I think I saw a glimpse of one while dove hunting in the IV but it was around 115° so wasn't sure if I was just seeing things..those look like some fun times Steve..I dig the green el camino! How old were you in the 1st pic?

George,

1960....12 years old....Loved that E C.... :blush:

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
San jacinto was amazing that was one thing pollick did well was the upland. But it’s a shame it’s gone and believe it or not the farm in Kansas is going same route birds just gone

San jacinto was amazing that was one thing pollick did well was the upland. But it’s a shame it’s gone and believe it or not the farm in Kansas is going same route birds just gone

Dang Skeet,

When I was back in Kansas turkey hunting, the Stockton area was loaded with pheasant...Sad to hear this.

One day I’ll make it up to Montana for some fun. Unless I die first...

Love the San Jac pic Steve. Like Skeet said, used to see pheasants all the time at SJ. Those days are long gone.

One time fishing the Owens river in the 70's , a fish and game guy was releasing Pheasant along the river by lone Pine . As I walked down river fishing I was flushing birds every 100 feet or so, I think flushed 8 that day

Great pictures, great memories. I’m a Northern Californian and I remember when there were wild pheasants all over the Sacramento valley. They were every where. I recall flushing a hundred plus pheasants in a few hours of hunting. Those glory days are gone. You just about never see a pheasant in those areas any more. Very sad. At least some of us old timers have our memories.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Love the nostalgic pics Steve! They always take me back. When I was working for CWA in '86 at Gray Lodge doing duck nesting studies, we would find lots of pheasant nests too. Also they are parasitical and we would sometimes find pheasant eggs in the duck's nests!

Great pics but depressing to see how it is compared to the ol days. That pic with you and the Gent in camo, was that taken on the Onyx ranch or is that San Jacinto?

if only there were pheasants close to socal.........

oh wait

as a side note there maybe a opening in my group. one of our members is moving away and leaving their trailer.... this will not get you ducks but the rest is for the taking. small fee to buy into the trailer and rent

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu