When to Upgrade

Zachappa

Nov 4, 2018
So Last black friday I bought a TC compass 308 as my beginning hunting rifle.

It was too good of a deal w/rebate and I wasn't sure if I would enjoy hunting.

One year later, i'm hooked, buying gear and spending every waking moment thinking of it.

Would love some advice!
I want to buy a better rifle and i'm wondering if I should get another 308 or a different caliber? (Only other hunting rifle I have is a .17wsm, so anything new would be a new caliber)
Also any mid range ($500) rifle recommendations would be great, ( I like the tika and savage)

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Personally when I pull the bolt back on the tc, the action is not as smooth as some other guns i've tried and it just doesn't "feel" as good as the other rifles i've played with.

At the end of the day, I probably just want another gun

Jack O'Connor called the .270, "The queen of the mountain guns".....30-06's have probably killed more game than any other caliber.....Both are very common calibers....So, anywhere you go or who you're with, you'll have ammo, and the prices for these two are always the best....The Savage axis & Rugger American are both reasonably prices and are solid rifles.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Personally when I pull the bolt back on the tc, the action is not as smooth as some other guns i've tried and it just doesn't "feel" as good as the other rifles i've played with.

Just wondering if I should get a different caliber and diversify.
Jack O'Connor called the .270, "The queen of the mountain guns".....30-06's have probably killed more game than any other caliber.....Both are very common calibers....So, anywhere you go or who you're with, you'll have ammo, and the prices for these two are always the best....The Savage axis & Rugger American are both reasonably prices and are solid rifles.

Cool. THxs. I'll check it out!

BTW, who's Jack O'connor (did I mention i'm new to hunting?)

He was a famous writer and story teller for Outdoor Life (hunting mag in the 50's & 60's)….loved the "New" .270 (necked down 30-06)

Reactions: Zachappa
I'm looking into the Remington 700 for my next, but I believe these are closer to $700-800 each
Local Turners has a Savage xp- used, in 30-06 w/ some upgrades for $300 bucks that I've been eyeing in the meantime.

My question would be how many things have you harvested with the TC you can polish the bolt yourself. If you haven’t harvested with it yet why buy another one. If you just want another gun get one trust me I just picked up another one today from FFA that I pieced together buying gear and guns is fun. But if you are doing it to be a better hunter your money could be spent better elsewhere. It all depends on where you want your money to go. You can go out of state for deer the price of a new rifle. Gear is a little overrated trust me I have all the nice stuff now but if it comes between gear and hunts I always choose hunts. I am always leary of the old timer in blue jeans with an old savage 110 or scratched up Rem 700 up on the mountain a lot of them are cold blooded killers.

My question would be how many things have you harvested with the TC you can polish the bolt yourself. If you haven’t harvested with it yet why buy another one. If you just want another gun get one trust me I just picked up another one today from FFA that I pieced together buying gear and guns is fun. But if you are doing it to be a better hunter your money could be spent better elsewhere. It all depends on where you want your money to go. You can go out of state for deer the price of a new rifle. Gear is a little overrated trust me I have all the nice stuff now but if it comes between gear and hunts I always choose hunts. I am always leary of the old timer in blue jeans with an old savage 110 or scratched up Rem 700 up on the mountain a lot of them are cold blooded killers.

Awesome Post.

You bring up a good point about hunt vs rifle price but something I learned from fishing, is that with me, I really like the confidence of having good gear that I can rely on and trust. I lost too many fish on other people's gear, and recently had a misfire using a friends rifle on a deer out of state.

so far tc = 0 kills

sounds like the consensus is to go out and harvest something

If you want to spend money get good binoculars that will be way more affective than a new rifle.

That's the best advice you'll get all day.

I mean, no one is telling you not to buy another gun. But if you want to hunt, buy glass. If you want to shoot, buy guns. TC has been trusted by hunters for a long time. The Contender has been loved by many accomplished hunters for years, but that's a very different gun. I can't speak personally on the compass but I'm sure it'll get the job done. Actions aren't always buttery smooth straight from the factory.

Thanks all.
Honestly the shopping list is soo long. I'll brows the forums some more, i'm sure there is a thread on what gear to buy etc...

Awesome replies guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to spend money get good binoculars that will be way more affective than a new rifle.

So true...took my new 15x to a location with more expansive views today and glasses up 5 doe, a spike, and a fork & horn in about 1.5 hours. The deer just pop with them.

Thank you @Truduct for the recommendation along with others on here.

Reactions: TRICER
So Last black friday I bought a TC compass 308 as my beginning hunting rifle.

It was too good of a deal w/rebate and I wasn't sure if I would enjoy hunting.

One year later, i'm hooked, buying gear and spending every waking moment thinking of it.

Would love some advice!
I want to buy a better rifle and i'm wondering if I should get another 308 or a different caliber? (Only other hunting rifle I have is a .17wsm, so anything new would be a new caliber)
Also any mid range ($500) rifle recommendations would be great, ( I like the tika and savage)

I run the Tikka T3x in .308 and it is deadly, my dad runs in in 30-06, and many here run in .260...if you want to get a new rifle just to get one I always recommend Tikka

Depends are they good 10x42? And how much do you want to spend?

Leopoldo McKenzie

And probably 500 is my upper range now but I’ve an always save. Should I get a 15 or spotting scope?

Been reading articles and they suggest multiple optics. Would love some advice

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Leopoldo McKenzie

And probably 500 is my upper range now but I’ve an always save. Should I get a 15 or spotting scope?

Been reading articles and they suggest multiple optics. Would love some advice
$500 isn’t enough for 15x if you can wait you can get the vortex Kaibabs for around $1200 or you can wait a while and get the Swarovski. You could also get a leftover Javelina tag in AZ for $115 and AZ license for $160 and go hunt Javelina in the spring.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu