Where are the widgeon?

CuppedUp

Nov 28, 2019
While overall duck numbers are down on paper as well and visually in the sky, I’ve noticed I’ve seen hardly any widgeon this year. Usually around December widgeon start to get thick around Wister and can easily fill your limit, but this year I’ve seen hardly any. Maybe a group here and there but not like previous seasons Where are they?

Reactions: SJW
There were a ton in November till mid December. Most have moved on, still see some in the closed zone and on the sea.

There were a ton in November till mid December. Most have moved on, still see some in the closed zone and on the sea.
Fake news. With the exception of the first week in November, Wister didn’t average more than 10 widgeon taken on hunt days through November and most of December (minus one weekend).

ab0dc484b70b9dbe43ae8a184cf614b8.jpg

Last week in north county

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got one at Wister on the 28th, it almost dropped in the blind. But I’ve only been out twice this year.
9AF32FFC-F023-4E38-80F5-ACA810693AF1.jpeg

I was thinking the same thing earlier this week when I was out. Last year we were getting at least a handful every hunt and this year I’ve only taken a few.

no cotton tops down on the LCRA so far this year. Newport back bay is loaded with them so they are around. Bird numbers outside of wister are pretty normal just think a lot of birds are flying over

Fake news. With the exception of the first week in November, Wister didn’t average more than 10 widgeon taken on hunt days through November and most of December (minus one weekend).
Well, I don't know what to tell you. I hunt there pretty much every Wednesday and Saturday. Hunt the sea 1 day a week or so and glass the entire area most Tuesdays and Fridays and I'm good at id'ing ducks in the air and on the water. Had days when we shot 10 just in my blind.

Reactions: nicapopolis
Henshaw barely has 250 widgeon...Despite having some really good shoots in the 1st part of December (more mallards than widgeon), it's been very, very slow up there...Looking at the counts at San J with widgeon, there's none there either.

This has been a very odd year so far. redheads and buffleheads heads all over the place, Teal showed up way way late. im expecting them back here shortly. zero cotton tops. almost no mallards, crops keep changing and that always seems to drive the duck numbers. I think they are backing way off on the winter wheat.

They are around. Lots of places for them to hang out. I am seeing them where I typically see them. And yeah, I would go with what MP is saying. Nothing is normal about this duck season for us in SoCal. This applies to SJ, Wister and Henshaw. My buddy is up in Oregon and they are starting to see new stuff.

John

Reactions: ilovesprig
All im saying is I’ve hunted Wister the last 7 years and usually around thanksgiving the widgeon start to show up full force and there’s always plenty of widgeon throughout the remainder of the season.

this season, even while sitting before LST and listening to the birds, I’m not hearing the same amount of widgeon that I normally do during previous seasons. Just my observation

Reactions: ilovesprig and SJW
All im saying is I’ve hunted Wister the last 7 years and usually around thanksgiving the widgeon start to show up full force and there’s always plenty of widgeon throughout the remainder of the season.

this season, even while sitting before LST and listening to the birds, I’m not hearing the same amount of widgeon that I normally do during previous seasons. Just my observation

Dont get me wrong, they are not in the numbers I was hoping to see them where I have been hunting. Like I said, it has just been a tough year in our half of the state. To date, I have not seen a 200 plus Green Wing Teal day at Wister or SJ. The Gaddys have been showing and how about the Mallards? Seen more of them then I expected. However, we need the GWTs, Cinnys and Spoonies to push the averages up and over the 3.0 number and this has not happened on a sustained level. There have been a few days where the average got above a 3 but nothing like in a normal year.

John

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu