Where do you shoot your rifle?

entropy

Oct 8, 2018
Well in VT I could shoot in my backyard, or go to the public hunting club and shoot for free year round for a $50 year fee, or go to a private farm 13 minutes away from my home where they have a nice rifle range and let anyone use it for free. Now that I live in Sierra Madre, CA, seems like I am not that lucky anymore. Here I can't even shoot my bow in my backyard!, well at least Pasadena archery club is near by. I saw a place in Asuza canyon where you can shoot all day for $15. Is that my best option?

Thanks!

Google gun and rifle range near by.
Or look for BLM near by.
No Target shooting in the NF

Thanks. Was wondering if there was a place I didn't know of and wasn't on the internet. Seems these days everything is on the internet lol. Some BLM are no rifle zone. Correct?

Thanks. Was wondering if there was a place I didn't know of and wasn't on the internet. Seems these days everything is on the internet lol. Some BLM are no rifle zone. Correct?
Some of the BLM is no Target shooting do to 3rd stage fire clouser.
Go to the BLM site and check your near by areas.
Best bet is to go to a gun range.
Also go to the sheriff's site
Google no shooting areas.
A map should pop up for no shooting areas.

Some of the BLM is no Target shooting do to 3rd stage fire clouser.
Go to the BLM site and check your near by areas.
Best bet is to go to a gun range.
Also go to the sheriff's site
Google no shooting areas.
A map should pop up for no shooting areas.

Awesome. thanks. yeah those $15 could save me a lot of trouble I guess.

I am member of SBRGC here in San Diego.
The annual membership is $ 125.00 and I get to shoot as many days and as many hours a day as I want.
I know that shooting for free might be nice but considering the safety factor and the fire hazard we constantly leave in, I think that paying $ 125.00 is well worth it.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
The annual membership is $ 125.00 and I get to shoot as many days and as many hours a day as I want.
I know that shooting for free might be nice but considering the safety factor and the fire hazard we constantly leave in, I think that paying $ 125.00 is well worth it.

Oh yeah I agree $125 is a sweet deal. There's just nothing like that near where I live... SBRGC is 3 hrs and half drive for me. Burro canyon shooting park ($260) membership is about 45 min from where I live, and they currently don't have memberships available. A place to shoot I think it is $150, about 1 hour drive and quite far

Oh yeah I agree $125 is a sweet deal. There's just nothing like that near where I live... SBRGC is 3 hrs and half drive for me. Burro canyon shooting park ($260) membership is about 45 min from where I live, and they currently don't have memberships available. A place to shoot I think it is $150, about 1 hour drive and quite far

For me is also a 45 min drive, but usually I stay the whole morning or the whole afternoon. You can bring your own food and stay all day if you want. It is safe and there is a lot of people to share experiences with.

Indoor ranges will typically advertise if they have a 100yard Lane. Usually ~$15/hour. I go to one every year for sighting in my rifle/scope and to get ready for the season.

Might want to double check if you can do archery in your yard. I may be wrong but I think archery is ok in some cities.

Indoor ranges will typically advertise if they have a 100yard Lane. Usually ~$15/hour. I go to one every year for sighting in my rifle/scope and to get ready for the season.

Might want to double check if you can do archery in your yard. I may be wrong but I think archery is ok in some cities.

LA County archery is a big no (I think).

I don't know that area well. My inlaws live in the IE.. my BIL shoots up off Hodge Rd in Helendale (well known BLM spot) and also Lytle Creek, which is an actual range now, not a free for all like it used to.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hey Entropy,

I live an Anaheim so I am about 35 minutes away from you. I shoot rifles at Burro Canyon Shooting Range and on BLM land off Hodge Rd and the 15 fwy. I've never shot at Lyle Creek Shooting Range but it seems nice. I shoot shotguns at Prado Olympic Shooting Park where they have Trap and Skeet for shooting clay pigeons.

As a dad, my free time tends to be during the day during the work week. For rifle shooting I'll take a half day off so I have around 3 hours to get some good work in. For shotgun shooting, I go on my lunch break and shoot 50 targets and then rush back to work. You mentioned in another post that you wanted to learn shotgun shooting at birds other than turkey. I can teach you if you can meet me at lunch someday. Send me a PM if any of this sounds interesting.

Joel

Last edited:
Take the drive to Angeles. You won't be sitting in the dirt. Weekdays you can shoot long range. Weekends limited to 200 yards.

Take the drive to Angeles. You won't be sitting in the dirt. Weekdays you can shoot long range. Weekends limited to 200 yards.

Thanks Tony. Have you ever been to "a place to shoot"? near santa clarita. it is further but also about an hr because it is on the freeway. Reason I ask is because they offer memberships for a decent price.

What does SBR stand for

I read a small news clip some where.
County is trying to close that gun range.

Last week they closed all BLM for target shooting. The club fought back and kept the range out of their plans, so for now it is safe, The club owns a lot of land surrounding the ranges, so I hope the county board don't go stupid and try to force the closure.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu