Where to buy a riffle in San Diego?

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
I'm looking for a shop that can advise me on a hunting rifle. I know my ABCs but I need to bounce ideas from someone who has the patience.
I am a loyal costumer when I find the right shop.
Turners is not for me, and Duncan's has worked as long as I know what I want. At this time I need advice.
Any recommendations?

You have to make an appointment now because of the Covid. When you call they have an email address to request the appointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to make an appointment now because of the Covid. When you call they have an email address to request the appointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
actually, an appointment would work well. That way I don't get interrupted.
Thanks.

@Wildgame sooooo what are you wanting? The peanut gallery needs some off season work

I'm looking for a shop that can advise me on a hunting rifle. I know my ABCs but I need to bounce ideas from someone who has the patience.
I am a loyal costumer when I find the right shop.
Turners is not for me, and Duncan's has worked as long as I know what I want. At this time I need advice.
Any recommendations?
@Wildgame make an appointment with Fine Fire Arms and ask for John as mentioned above. You will have found you're local brick and mortar store be a loyal customer of.

I think everyone here will say John at LA Mesa fine firearms including myself. I don't say that because he is on the board here but because his shop is amazing. Every time I need information they are extremely helpful in all areas of shooting including reloading. I have spent lots of time at the counter getting info to help me make the right decisions. Perfect example was when I was looking for projectiles for my 300wm. John was not in the store when I was there looking and I had a few questions about them. John's guys called him at home to get the info I was asking for. They also treat you like one of the boys every time. Can't tell you how many times I have seen staff at other stores treat people like crap for asking questions. That's why el cajon gun exchange is gone. We have all asked stupid questions especially since we all had to start somewhere. I have also seen countless sales guys who have no business selling firearms and parts let alone dishing out advise at places like turners. I have actually pulled people to the side at turners to correct them after the counter guy tells them incorrect info.

Give the boys at Fine Firearms a look and you will no longer need to look around for a go to shop.

@Wildgame sooooo what are you wanting? The peanut gallery needs some offseason work
I am lefty, I want to be able to take any CA , AZ and NV game..I prefer low recoil, plenty of ammo availability, lightweight, a scope that won't break my bank, versatility. It is highly unlikely that I will own more than one rifle for hunting big game any time soon...so its got to be a workhorse, yet pleasing to the eye, durable.... I know that one rifle might not do it all for most people, but it just might for me. I don't have many points for drawing and will not spend thousands of dollars on guided out of state hunts.

I have done my research. I believe I know the rifle I should consider. Still have lots of questions on ballistics, versatility, pros and cons and where to compromise. I don't want to just buy a Savage because they are a good value, or a Remington because they are popular, or a Tikka because people swear by them. I need to know.

The Rifle is got to fit my needs, it has to fit me, and it has to be reasonably priced. New or use don't matter.
Everyone I have talked to has different opinions from calibers to brands. I need to hear it from an expert who has the patience and will let me walk out away when Im not ready to buy. I am a difficult buyer until I am ready that's the honest truth.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Your not just buying a rifle. You will need a base, rings and scope to go with it also.
So you will need to start with a all in budget.
tell us your budget and we can throw you some ideas.

I am lefty, I want to be able to take any CA , AZ and NV game..I prefer low recoil, plenty of ammo availability, lightweight, a scope that won't break my bank, versatility. It is highly unlikely that I will own more than one rifle for hunting big game any time soon...so its got to be a workhorse, yet pleasing to the eye, durable.... I know that one rifle might not do it all for most people, but it just might for me. I don't have many points for drawing and will not spend thousands of dollars on guided out of state hunts.

I have done my research. I believe I know the rifle I should consider. Still have lots of questions on ballistics, versatility, pros and cons and where to compromise. I don't want to just buy a Savage because they are a good value, or a Remington because they are popular, or a Tikka because people swear by them. I need to know.

The Rifle is got to fit my needs, it has to fit me, and it has to be reasonably priced. New or use don't matter.
Everyone I have talked to has different opinions from calibers to brands. I need to hear it from an expert who has the patience and will let me walk out away when Im not ready to buy. I am a difficult buyer until I am ready that's the honest truth.
What cartridges are you leaning torwards?

Your not just buying a rifle. You will need a base, rings and scope to go with it also.
So you will need to start with a all in budget.
tell us your budget and we can throw you some ideas.
I was hoping to keep it under 1K. It might be a matter of buying the riffle first, then the scope, and then the rest. A few hundred bucks here and there is an easier pill to swallow than a one time hit. Although I am sure the rifle WO a scope and the rest is not helpful, once I buy the rifle there is no turning back...lol.

What cartridges are you leaning towards?
270, 30-06, 6.5 Creedmore, 308. I am not as focused on the caliber as I am on the caliber/rifle results...a heavy rifle would probably lower the recoil in some calibers while a lighter rifle might kick more. So where is the sweet spot?

The one problem I found is that many people like me. Do not have time to practice a ton..we already know the problems we have to shoot a rifle in CA...in my case I got to drive at least 1.5hrs to BLM, there is a waiting list at an open shooting range 40 min away that has a monthly membership, and I dislike the indoor shotting facilities because of the shorter range.
I am not sure at what distance I need to be proficient, I would imagine at least 200 yards? Whatever it is, I need to be certain I can drop the animal from a reasonable distance before I pull the trigger.

If the Caliber selection compromises a clean kill unless you are an excellent shot, then that Caliber might not be for me. Not because I am not a good shot per se, but because I might not have the time to be a great shot due to the lack of practice.
So with that said...would most hunting game calibers do the trick? I don't know and I need to find out.

i am sure you can get a tika or something for under 1k and toss on a low end vortex scope and be good to go and not that far over budget. John over at FF can be a big help or so people tell me :)

in that class of weapon there is not a huge difference in any of them. You will have to compromise some of your list

you are not going to get a rifle that is heavy for hunting. you will hate lugging a heavy gun around and to mitigate recoil it needs to be a lot heavy .

so now your choice is brake or no brake?

you say you need the power to kill elk? if elk are off the table then it opens up the smaller calibers that you will be able to shoot much better. The world is full of people who do not practice and to be honest you will never be a good shot but 200yards is a reasonable goal but not farther you will just miss.

so at this close range does cartridge selection matter that much? i am going to say get a 30-06 and for deer shoot the reduced recoil rounds and for elk man up a bit and for california just make sure it will spin our crappy no tox ammo

So for the win! tika t3 light 30-06 with plastic stock. ( you will not get pretty at this price point ) put a brake on it with a vortex dimondback scope BOOM DONE!
if you can forget about the elk then get the 6.5man bun and it will not kick much at all with a brake

270, 30-06, 6.5 Creedmore, 308. I am not as focused on the caliber as I am on the caliber/rifle results...a heavy rifle would probably lower the recoil in some calibers while a lighter rifle might kick more. So where is the sweet spot?

The one problem I found is that many people like me. Do not have time to practice a ton..we already know the problems we have to shoot a rifle in CA...in my case I got to drive at least 1.5hrs to BLM, there is a waiting list at an open shooting range 40 min away that has a monthly membership, and I dislike the indoor shotting facilities because of the shorter range.
I am not sure at what distance I need to be proficient, I would imagine at least 200 yards? Whatever it is, I need to be certain I can drop the animal from a reasonable distance before I pull the trigger.

If the Caliber selection compromises a clean kill unless you are an excellent shot, then that Caliber might not be for me. Not because I am not a good shot per se, but because I might not have the time to be a great shot due to the lack of practice.
So with that said...would most hunting game calibers do the trick? I don't know and I need to find out.
I am left handed as well, I just purchased a Ruger Hawkeye Hunter in 300 win mag. They came out this year, they make them left handed in 6.5 creedmoor and 300 win mag. The 300 win mag comes with a muzzle brake. I have not shot it yet, I’ll let you know how it shoots if you’re interested.

OK...Another opine from a shotgun guy, that's killed a few with a rifle...... ;)

Ruger American...MSRP...$399.99

Vortex Diamondback scope, 4x12...On sale, $179.99

Weaver Rings & mounts...About $40.00 (There are much better, but these work)

Limbsaver Kodiak rifle Sling...$23.99

270 Federal Trophy copper ammo...About $40.00

Some targets...$16.00

Total around....$700.00....These combos will kill anything you want in the west...(The caliber can be substituted for 6.5 Creedmore or 30.06 with little change in cost.

ps...Forgot you're a lefty...May be a cost difference & limitations for that

As long as you stay away from hiring guides...you should have plenty of money to get set up with a good riffle...those guides charge an exuberent amount of money...and the reallly good ones will have tagged out by 10am on the first day of your hunt. UGGH!!
I like the weatherby vanguards or the Howa 1500,s. Same rifle.. low cost...easily get a good scope ..rings and mounts..a sling and prolly a box of core locs...under 1k....my 1.5 cents.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu