Which Undergarments and Chair solution do you take backpack-hunting for Max comfort?

TheGDog

Nov 28, 2018
XX
I'd like to compare notes with others on which style of hiking/camp-chair they take with them while backpack-hunting when they do a sit on an ambush point for long periods of time. Key point in that phrase..LONG period of time.

I'm looking for the lightest solution which will provide the highest level of comfort and still provide lower back support.

Related to this same issue, which undergarments have you found are the most comfortable for the long sits? RE: seams that gouge, etc.

The trusty Tripod-Stool has been my main option, but with the triangular seat area... after awhile inner thigh region and "backside" get way sore and also "cook" quite a bit. I also hiked out there and left a Tripod seat that's heavier and has a back support to it. While better... I'm running into these same issues where the edges of the triangle seat... eventually just become unbearable. This last weekend I brought a set of Fox Moto Biker shorts this time.. with the "Chamois" (the padding in the crotch) and that helped prolong my amount of sit time before it became problematic and raw. But it certainly didn't cure the problem.

I'm considering getting one of these Helinox style chairs, with the Ground Sheet so it doesn't sink in to the soft Earth and oak leaves where I go.
But with the price tag those have... I want to get a better idea of their effectiveness for hunting before I decide pull the trigger on one, so wanted to ask you guys what you use and what you like and don't like about it. Figure perhaps somebody will surprise me and mention an option I perhaps hadn't heard of or seen before yet.

I thank you for any input you could graciously provide to this question.

Oh... also... I want to also be able to Archery hunt from this chair solution, so it needs to be just tall enough so that I can hold the bow to draw, and also relatively easily be able to elect to rise up out of this chair while holding the bow in my hands at draw.

I personally am looking at a cushion for sitting and glassing that i can strap to my pack when I’m hiking. I’d consider getting a turkey chair if I knew I was going to be leaving it in one spot. Something like one of these.65EF741C-D4C7-4302-AFF7-7FDCACDC2F6E.png615E0343-B915-4D13-9479-0DBE71F4989C.png

I have been using a Helinox style chair (REI co-op version) for a couple of years and like it because I can sit and glass for a few hours comfortably.

Downside: Set-up / tear down can get annoying compared to something that just folds open / closed. Also, the legs are metal and can bang around when setting up / tearing down so you just go slow. I do not run the ground sheet and have not run into any problems (it just sinks in a bit in sand and snow).

When I see my brothers chair that just opens I get jealous...until I sit in it! Lol

Mine weighs about 20 oz and I do not carry it's case.

Never shot my bow from it, but I would go to REI and sit on one and see what you think.

This one is similar to mine: https://www.rei.com/product/148036/rei-co-op-flexlite-air-chair

I personally am looking at a cushion for sitting and glassing that i can strap to my pack when I’m hiking. I’d consider getting a turkey chair if I knew I was going to be leaving it in one spot. Something like one of these.View attachment 41124
I have a chair like this, and yes it is very comfy. But it is heavy for the long pack-in.

It's kind of a bit on the too low side realistically for shooting bow from it, in my opinion. But for rifle? Oh yeah.. as long as the vegetation allows you to see that low, this is comfy for a long time, already tested that.

I have been using a Helinox style chair (REI co-op version) for a couple of years and like it because I can sit and glass for a few hours comfortably.

Downside: Set-up / tear down can get annoying compared to something that just folds open / closed. Also, the legs are metal and can bang around when setting up / tearing down so you just go slow. I do not run the ground sheet and have not run into any problems (it just sinks in a bit in sand and snow).

When I see my brothers chair that just opens I get jealous...until I sit in it! Lol

Never shot my bow from it, but I would go to REI and sit on one and see what you think.

This one is similar to mine: https://www.rei.com/product/148036/rei-co-op-flexlite-air-chair

Question, I don't mean to be intrusive, but how much do you weigh? I'm asking because I hover between 220-230Lbs usually.

EDIT: But they DO at least offer a Ground Sheet for this one, yes? I would DEFINITELY need the ground sheet where I go.

Question, I don't mean to be intrusive, but how much do you weigh? I'm asking because I hover between 220-230Lbs usually.

EDIT: But they DO at least offer a Ground Sheet for this one, yes? I would DEFINITELY need the ground sheet where I go.

5'11" - around 205 to 210

I have only seen ground sheets for the helinox, but I bet they would work for it.

Ok cool, so you're same height. and near same weight. gotcha, thanks man!

EDIT: Hey man... could you measure the footprint of your chairs feet when it's assembled and report that back here? Maybe that way I can search for the necessary Ground Sheet online.

RE: Metal poles clankin' around... Hrmm... maybe I could pre-assemble it at the staging point I have about 900yds back from my spot.

i get the heated and AC cooled seats when i order. They are comfy for hours at a time.

I had no idea people packed a chair in the woods to glass. All this time i have been sitting on my ass.

Lol listen the older you get the more comfortable you want to be..
The stupid cushion they give you with the cheap deer stands suck.
My ass would hurt after 3 hours.

For this older guy turkey chair vsits to low. Hard to sit up and it hard to shoot a bow from.
But no solution here. Except a taller chair that's not to heavy. Lol

'dog,

For hunting these days, I will wear a turkey vest at times with great cushion...Everything I need for dressing out a deer is in there...Comes with stands for back support...It has no worth when it comes to bow hunting.

I have a dove chair with a back rest that attaches to back pack...I use it at Lake Henshaw waterfowling (Wal-Mart $19.99)...Pretty comfy...For us full figured hunters (6-2, 245), they make a larger version...Even more comfortable & taller, but heavier (Turner's $29.99).

.dove chair.jpeg

i get the heated and AC cooled seats when i order. They are comfy for hours at a time.

I had no idea people packed a chair in the woods to glass. All this time i have been sitting on my ass.

Some of us... have lived very Extreme lives before getting to this age. And us and Mother Earth... we've had a few hard dances together already, Ya feel me?

Loose comfortable pants has been my deal.. breathable..
Dude... literally... I loosen my belt buckle and unsnap my top button in order to take away all possible pressure the pants might be able to exert on the seams. So now it's just the seams ya end up sitting upon.

It's just a product of the sheer amount of time I spend on this site. It's done me right, except for last year... before the rains at the height of the drought... and even then it did me right..passed a barely legal buck under my nose... I just missed him because he ducked the string. So truthfully I can't complain about it.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I just sit on my rear or move a rock of something into place.
As for undergarments... just get something that won't fail. Hiking back 10+ miles with ripped boxers is not a fun endeavor as a guy.

I just sit on my rear or move a rock of something into place.
As for undergarments... just get something that won't fail. Hiking back 10+ miles with ripped boxers is not a fun endeavor as a guy.

I'm real sensitive to seams that stick up or rough hard fabrics. So I try to do all I can to find primo stuff to allow me to do the hikes without irritation and to do the sits with as much comfort as possible. But... sometimes the seams they have which make them fit comfortably for the hike... those seams get pressed-into the skin on the sit, and since I'm sitting literally all damn day... in some pretty bad heat sometimes... I need absolutely all the help I can get.

I mean... I brought in my Predator Seat Cushion thing with back support and at times I'd transfer over to just kneeling upon that thing for a bit to air-out my ass and give it a chance to cool down and get blood in there and all that. But even with the help of Xferring over to that... AND wearing the Bike shorts.. AND taking Tylenol #3's with Codeine... I still need a little more help and comfort so I can last longer into the day before it gets to that point where you're just raw and miserable.

To be clear... I'm doing dang good on remaining fairly comfortable for quite some time... but like once like 2:30p rolls around the Sun is transitioning from the tree I'm under over to this other tree... there's this period where it's at the hottest of the day AND... a little bitof the sun light is making it thru the branches onto me while it's transitioning over to behind this other tree in front of my sit off the left side when facing East.

I'm hoping one of these sit solutions which makes use of a more open mesh could prove to be the ticket for not allowing the heat to cook me so bad down south. Just trying to approach it cautiously in terms of the purchase so I don't have to make more than 1 purchase.

Right now using those EXOfficio Boxer Briefs. They're pretty good, but like I said they have *some* seams which can get agonizing by about 2:30p. So figured I'd ask everybody what the hell ya wearing to see if there's some socko-boffo brand I've just not heard about that's the hot-ticket for staying cool and comfy on long sits.

EDIT: Just so you can understand where I'm coming from... I can't sit directly on the ground for very long at all. I can't lay on my back directly on flat ground. That Tailbone injury I had won't allow me to do that to this day. It just is what it is. I gotta work around it.

Meh... too many bills. For now I got a used 2014 Ford F150 STX SuperCrew. But I really love that thing! Nice big seats and biggest backseat of them all! I can keep my YETI inside the cab of the truck while I'm gone. Don't have to fuss with locking it via a cable to the bed and covering it with blankets and all this BS I used to have to do.

Thought I'd chime in on the undergarments thread. I have always struggled with all types of boxers/briefs, I have thick thighs and a narrow waist so most everything rides up and rubs. But, my saving grace has been leggings. Specifically boot cut ones made of light wicking material. Completely changed the game when it comes to long hike comfort. I recently got a pair of First Lite's ultralight 150 aerowool leggings, and I live in them when I am out there now. These aren't your ladies Lululemons, they are for putting down miles in the heat.

Dude! Thank You! Just went to REI. They have this MACRO version of the flexlite chair thats bigger and rated up to 300lbs!

https://www.rei.com/product/114354/rei-co-op-flexlite-macro-chair

Soooo comfy! Even my fat ass fits in it with room to spare!

This thing is SWEET! And you can rise to standing on your feet easily without needing your arms.
20190924_170309.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JakeSCH

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu