Who Uses a 20ga for Turkey

I'd take a 20ga with TSS over a 12ga with heavi if that tells you anything. TSS has been an absolute game-changer. My Colorado bird last year was at 60 yards, 1 shot kill (12ga) and it absolutely crushed him at that distance.

Need some for my daughter, she is going to get a tom this year wirh her 20ga

Stefanie shoots 3" 1 5/8 #9's....Kills 'em pretty damn dead......... ;)

I've killed them with a .410 and a 20 gauge, but I am still old school...I want the most firepower I can have and I'm pretty sure I've never killed one over 50 yds....12 gauge Hevi-Shot Blend or TSS.

ps....Check out these patterns from a 20 gauge with a Carlson' turkey choke

IMG_4990.JPGpattern 6.JPGpattern 5.JPG

Reactions: sportyg
The 20 has dropped many a yard bird the past 40 years...took my first one at 14 with a 20 gauge....damn I'm old ..I like the 20 gauge...aim for the throat...it works..

TSS #9's. I haven't gotten a gobbler yet but the pattern and pass though on the target supports at 40 yards had me sold.

I have been researching 20ga TSS. Here is what I've found. Browning makes it in shots #7, #7/9 mix. Didn't see any #9 but they no doubt make it. Federal shots #7, #9, and #7/9 mix. Remington only found shot #7. Herter's only found shot #9. Seeing how I'm on a fixed income and can't afford to buy one of each at $55.00 to $60.00 ea. Which two do you TSS shooters recommend I purchase to test in my 20ga. I'll test all of them over time but for this season just want to find out who has found which one seems to be the best.

Try birdshot first. I'm betting the tss shoots right with it but will have less drop at extended ranges. I'd start with the #9 or 7/9.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu