Why we wear Snake Boots or Gaiters

I nearly stepped on about a 4 footer hiking with my daughter this morning st Bernardo mtn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the busiest time of year for them right now. I'm not fond of them either but they serve a purpose so let them be when you find them out on the trails and get rid of the ones you find in your yard as they are living close by. Walk with your head down and look where you are stepping. Steve, That's not a new born they are about three to four inches long when they are born so I would guess that is last year or the year before's spawn. Look at the buttons on the tail they grow a button each time they shed which is one to five times a year depending on how much they are feeding. From what I have learned once or twice a year is all they shed around here.

I hate them had one dog get a blind strike, she lived a bite on the back paw and the vaccine helped. now i have one jagd that bays them up......his bark drives them to bury their head.....

You wearing boots or gaiters? I worry about my kids, I always see guys wearing gaiters but not snake boots , I guess they do t often hit the foot as often?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are our snakes considered western diamondbacks?

Yes it’s a sub species of the western rattle snake. I have not run into them very often but always look down as I hike.

Here is a pretty good link on some more info.

https://www.eurekacamping.com/blog/article/6-venomous-rattlesnakes-california-and-how-identify-them

Saw red diamond back once that was along the a dirt road minding its own business so I let it be.

These two are Southern Pacific's.....The most deadly of the snakes in San Diego.....According to some biologists, they have evolutionized their venom to be both a neuro toxin and is hemotoxic.

Reactions: msailor
I first saw someone wearing Gators last year and thought it was brilliant for protected shins from our brush / cactus out here. Now that I realized that are good for snake protection I am all in...any recommendations on which you guys like to wear for long hikes?

I first saw someone wearing Gators last year and thought it was brilliant for protected shins from our brush / cactus out here. Now that I realized that are good for snake protection I am all in...any recommendations on which you guys like to wear for long hikes?
I wear Turtleskin gaiters. They get hot but are lightweight.. I'd rather have hot legs than be snakebitten 5 miles from my truck. Also protects from cactus and other poky things when rambling thru the brush.

http://www.turtleskin.com/snake-gaiters

Reactions: JakeSCH
There are five different species in San Diego county, Southerns, Westerns, Red Westerns (protected species no kill) speckled, and sidewinders. As far as rattlesnake toxicity goes rattlesnakes posses around twenty five different toxins that range from hemo to neuro toxins. It varies form region to region and species to species. All have both it just depends on where they occur as far as toxicity goes. Southerns have a pretty good dose of both and as far as our local species go they can be very aggressive when agitated. Leave all of them alone and they will leave you alone. Piss them off and I have had them come after me. Mojaves who live in the high desert have a predominant amount of neuro toxin (very dangerous), Sidewinders in the desert have mostly hemo toxin (not so dangerous). Bottom line look where you step and place your hands and if you leave them alone for the most part they will not bother with you. They are not evil nor do they have ill intent towards us just dangerous in the wrong situation when you are not aware they are present. I put them to work when I find them on my property and remove the threat. Live and let live when possible.

Reactions: WaterDawg
Southerns are extremely pissy. I pull rattlers off my property every year. The Southerns are the toughest to handle. Pulled a huge one out next to my walkway last year. Even though I had a zoo type snake grabber, I still wore snake gaiters. I let him go miles away from my house. I also wear the snake gaiters when weed whacking on the property as well. Good to have them down in Niland when dove and pheasant hunting. Keep your head on a swivel. Watch where you set up during turkey season. Be safe boys,

John

I’ve come across my share. I dig snakes and always move them off the road if possible. A few from the last couple of years:

8F159F44-4A7A-486C-BF3F-63A9B6704F54.jpeg
Red diamond near Elsinore Peak.

4EC3648C-91FB-4FC4-BAAE-D07BA1A8C7A9.jpeg

Little guy on the road near Ortega hwy. This is a Panamint rattler, related to the speckled rattler. Only one I’ve ever seen.

2D6B3812-3D6E-4656-88B3-0B29C8E22BEF.jpeg

Red Diamond at San Jacinto wildlife area.

4E4803BE-A973-4A7F-BDB7-C382FBFA01FC.jpeg

This Southern Pacific was eating a tree squirell off a trail at Big Bear. Watched the whole process - so cool.

F94BCB8F-0858-44AF-9C6B-5D4440843CBE.jpeg

Imperial County has the real deal - the Western Diamondback My buddy shot this monster while we were quail hunting near the dove fields in Niland. We ate him later.

Last edited:
I’ve come across my share. I dig snakes and always move them off the road if possible. A few from the last couple of years:

View attachment 34839
Red diamond near Elsinore Peak.

View attachment 34840

Little guy on the road near Ortega hwy. This is a Panamint rattler, related to the speckled rattler. Only one I’ve ever seen.

View attachment 34841

Red Diamond at San Jacinto wildlife area.

View attachment 34837

This Southern Pacific was eating a tree squirell off a trail at Big Bear. Watched the whole process - so cool.

View attachment 34838

Imperial County has the real deal - the Western Diamondback My buddy shot this monster while we were quail hunting near the dove fields in Niland. We ate him later.
Very cool pics. How'd the rattler taste? I always wanted to put one in a bottle of whiskey.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu