Wild Boar and Mule Deer Ribs

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
I cooked the ribs in a crockpot (mule deer on bottom and pork on top - to get the fat to drip on the other) for 8 hours on low.

Lathered them up with BBQ sauce mixed with sriracha and tossed them on the grill for about 10 minutes.

Small bones = deer, big bones = boar. Shoutout to by buddy Andy (not on here) who gave me the boar ribs.

C64FB461-7063-4496-899B-3502266BA086.jpeg

Darn it, now I'm gonna be compelled to hike the ribs back out with me next time!

Darn it, now I'm gonna be compelled to hike the ribs back out with me next time!

It absolutely sucks in the moment but I've never regretted hiking them out....on the flip side I have regretted leaving them in the field.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
How were the deer ribs?

They are fantastic but different than the wild boar. They are pretty lean (especially deer out here) so the secret is to cook them low and slow (or use a pressure cooker) until the meat is about to fall off the bone.

I've even thrown them in the crockpot all day with some onion and chipotle peppers, pulled the meat off the bone and made tacos with it. Excellent. I cook all tendon heavy cuts (like shank) that way and they are one of my favorites.

Reactions: CAL'NDN
Thinking next time, wanna try to pop their head to make it easy to clean out the brain matter during the simmer. Did pretty good this last time as taking most of the neck meat outta there. Clean the brisket nice and bare, and removed as much as i could off the ribs. But I know having the rib bones also melts out some of the marrow fat too, so screw it, next time I'll hack off each side of the ribcage.

Reactions: CAL'NDN

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu