Will scout for food...

SoCalElkLvr

Nov 17, 2019
Have been on LRH (Long Range Hunting forum) for a while, and a friend pointing me here recently.
Although elk in Montana is my first love, I'm intrigued by the challenge of mule deer in SoCal.
I have NO tags for SoCal, but have put about 200(ish) miles on boots in last 3 weeks (various San Diego counting locations).
I've seen mediocre to poor sign (old poop, recent sparse tracks) in Felipe, Love, Palomar, Descanso, etc, but am looking to expand my horizons.
Not looking to screw you out of your " honey hole," just want more insight into D16, D19, or (actually) willing to drive north to learn muley habits.
Have tried mild grunts, doe calls (yes, you can call muleys) and even distressed doe, with only hunters coming to check me out.

If you need someone to help out ( I have decent spotter, binos, etc) would love to meet another cool head who is in it just for the experience.
Don't care (well, maybe a little) if I take one, but love the chase. I currently have NO TAGS for SoCal, and am doing it for the love of being out there.

Lemme Know,
D

These deer that sone call mule deer ..are nothing like mule deer in montana..but the 16 is where i would concentrate all my efforts to bag one is i was hunting so cal. Good luck man and post him when you kill him!

Reactions: outdoorhero42
BTW, can scout during tha week...
Also, I'm not from Montana, just hunted there. I'm aware the muleys here don't walk around the local coffee shops, lol.
After all the miles I've done locally, I know I'm in it for the long game, which is preferable to an easy kill.
If I don't get one for a few years, fine, it's about the boot time with new friends...

I would try D19.... I hear good things about that zone. The 16 is not all that! Ive never called in a hunter! Strong work

Yeah, so this f@@cker didn't have a bino harness, and I saw him come in from a fire road after 6 am (45 min's after legat shooting, WTF) and so I whistled at him.
And yes, he pointed his f'in rifle at me so he could see me through his scope. I dropped to the ground, waving my hat. Assh@le sat in the same spot staring at me from 200 yds, occasionally looking through his rifle scope at me. I wanted to put 25c in the vending maching and buy him a cheap set of binos, and school his as$.

Be careful what you listen to here or anywhere else for that matter, Most folks here are as far as I can deduce are honest but there as with any site that exist's are folks who will tell you things that are not true or at the least trying to redirect you. You will figure that out after you see their repeated response's. The d-16 zone is tough no doubt unless you are on private or are willing to go where others are not willing to travel to. Just like any other site plenty of b.s. and you have to find your own way. At least everyone here is pretty friendly.

I appreciate that. I'm "aged" to the point where I kinda know bull from legit. Not looking for a redirect, as I could look on OnX and see if I'm being led. Really, just looking for someone who wants to work as hard for the reward. I really don't care if I shoot one, or I call one in for my partner to shoot. Actually, I'd rather call one in, and let my partner shoot. Don't mind cleaning, or anything else, as I can cook. I just enjoy being out there and learning. I just haven't found anyone who wants to put in the boot time, and enjoys the chase. Everyone I've seen in SoCal wants to use a FLIR, see the target, shoot, and post pics. I know it sounds harsh, but that's how it seems.
I would rather take 4 yrs, learn the terrain, and know the harvest was hard earned.
In the 1 year I've put in d16, I've gone from little sign, to knowing it's a crapload of hiking to the reward, which is better than if I was with a friend back east stand stitting for a whitetail.

I'm sixty plus one si I get the aged part. Wish I had the time to work with you now as I feel the same way. Life at this moment has put a couple of barriers in my way that cannot be avoided maybe sometime later. Keep posting...

Just a few younger, but in good shape physically.
Have done a LOT of dog training years ago. REALLY miss my Bassets!
I'm literally game for whatever, as I started the deer aspect later, after realizing the $$$ from a 7-7 day was wasting my time.
Would love to see the hunting aspect of hounds, as mine never got past the scent trail, then started tracking wherever the next interesting diversion led...

You will also figure out who actually shoots a plethura of deer and other large mammals on a consistent basis,and does not just talk about it or days past...LOL..i am also a Basset lover..couple of my boys..again, recent pics...nothing better than a good houmd.

Attachments

• 20191105_072610.jpg
    20191105_072610.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190925_181352.jpg
    20190925_181352.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 10
You will also figure out who actually shoots a plethura of deer and other large mammals on a consistent basis,and does not just talk about it or days past...LOL..i am also a Basset lover..couple of my boys..again, recent pics...nothing better than a good houmd.

Ya know, I'm sure there's a few who get the most, because they've done the work and have their spots. I get it, and don't want that info, as a gimme would be like getting cheat codes to your fav vid game. I have friends who would pay to join the MCC, or similar. While I have the money to do that, it would not be the same as if I found them myself, or with the help of someone who wants to work as hard. While masochistic, I can pay someone to take me on a high fence hunt, but what's the point?
I think that's why I dig elk. Lot's of country, and it tests my skills calling them. I'm learning how to call muleys, as they're in my back yard(ish).

I think SoCal muley hunting is one of the hardest in the U.S., which is why I'm in. I have never done whitetail, but may someday, as I hear it's tastier. But, I like the hard as$ learning curve of these muleys. I have a friend who pulled a G3 tag, and while I probably should have gone with him on the hunt, did not as someone else said it was not indicative of how hard it is to hunt muleys here. I feel kinda stupid for not going along for the experience, but back then I was 100% elk, no deer.
Now, I would go...

So, in terms of Bassets, my first (as an adult - with my wife) was Molly, and was tha one. Old soul, sweetheart, etc. Here's a few pics. Had to take pics of pics on my office wall...
20191117_210418.jpg20191117_210418.jpg

Attachments

• 20191117_210357.jpg
    20191117_210357.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 8
Nice pups...no high fence in so cal other than big horn canyon I think for put and take exotics. As it is illegal to high fence deer in California, it aint Texas. I dont live n Ca. so i could possibly be wrong.....just really enjoy this forum for all the insight that comes with it, pull up a chair..your in a good place.

Ya know, I'm sure there's a few who get the most, because they've done the work and have their spots. I get it, and don't want that info, as a gimme would be like getting cheat codes to your fav vid game. I have friends who would pay to join the MCC, or similar. While I have the money to do that, it would not be the same as if I found them myself, or with the help of someone who wants to work as hard. While masochistic, I can pay someone to take me on a high fence hunt, but what's the point?
I think that's why I dig elk. Lot's of country, and it tests my skills calling them. I'm learning how to call muleys, as they're in my back yard(ish).

I think SoCal muley hunting is one of the hardest in the U.S., which is why I'm in. I have never done whitetail, but may someday, as I hear it's tastier. But, I like the hard as$ learning curve of these muleys. I have a friend who pulled a G3 tag, and while I probably should have gone with him on the hunt, did not as someone else said it was not indicative of how hard it is to hunt muleys here. I feel kinda stupid for not going along for the experience, but back then I was 100% elk, no deer.
Now, I would go...

So, in terms of Bassets, my first (as an adult - with my wife) was Molly, and was tha one. Old soul, sweetheart, etc. Here's a few pics. Had to take pics of pics on my office wall...
View attachment 41952View attachment 41952

You obviously have never hunted MCC or driven the property...It's basically CNF on private lands (VID)...The hunts are as hard or easy as you make them...Guys that shoot the best bucks or game on MCC are the same ones that do well where ever they hunt.

To my knowledge, it's the only operation in SoCal that just leases land and you're on your own from there...Nothing easy about it.

ps...Tejon and I hear very little about it now, has guided hunts

D, you're doing it right. Boots on the ground, reading maps ...time in the field.
Solid woodsmanship and your experience in the field will put you on game here in S.D.
Steve is absolutely correct. MCC is not a guarantee nor is hunting or fishing for that matter. It's why we all are drawn back year after year.
I would certainly partner up with you had I not meet and committed to introducing a client I met over the summer to our backcountry. He and his family were just transferred here to MCRD.
I've been blessed with a harvest all but one year in the past two decades including putting new hunters onto their first harvest.
Keep at it and you'll find success in all aspects.
Good luck, you're hitting good areas

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Yeah, so this f@@cker didn't have a bino harness, and I saw him come in from a fire road after 6 am (45 min's after legat shooting, WTF) and so I whistled at him.
And yes, he pointed his f'in rifle at me so he could see me through his scope. I dropped to the ground, waving my hat. Assh@le sat in the same spot staring at me from 200 yds, occasionally looking through his rifle scope at me. I wanted to put 25c in the vending maching and buy him a cheap set of binos, and school his as$.

Oh man! I recently experienced this horror for the first time! It was a Dad and his 15yo daughter.I turn my binos on the Tripod to chek'm out... the Daughter... Dead-On pointing right at me! FACK!!! Same deal, the Daughter was using it like binos.

You obviously have never hunted MCC or driven the property...It's basically CNF on private lands (VID)...The hunts are as hard or easy as you make them...Guys that shoot the best bucks or game on MCC are the same ones that do well where ever they hunt.

To my knowledge, it's the only operation in SoCal that just leases land and you're on your own from there...Nothing easy about it.

ps...Tejon and I hear very little about it now, has guided hunts

Sorry, I should have separated my sentences. I did not mean to imply that MCC was a high fence outfit, or that it was easy.
I've been told that MCC leases much from Vista Irrigation District. If that's the case, then I actually have seen quite a bit of their property, and am aware there are no fences, and it's the same terrain as public. That's been my assumption; at no point did I think it was a fenced, guided, or easier hunt.
I had a few Crown and Cokes, and did not mean to disparage any outfit or methodology.

> What I SHOULD have said is that before I engage in anything that others may not have access to, I'd like to be successful on public.
That's all that was meant. <

Speaking of which, Montana has a lot of private that is open to the public, called BMA.
I've read that CA has PLM, but not seen anything on OnX about it.

Anyone aware if these areas exist and, if so, how they are marked on OnX?

Last edited:
Plm has nothing to do with access on private land....remember you are in California..land of the greenie and they are not hunter friendly...the horror of that state..the horror..

He was lucky he didn't get shot. In retrospect, we probably should have had a discussion with him about muzzle discipline and why you don't ever point rifles at armed men.

• Love
Reactions: sportyg and TheGDog

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu