Winter's Affect on Deer Herds

RKE

Dec 24, 2018
I'm hoping that some of you more experienced hunters have an accurate idea on the affect that this severe winter is going to have on our deer numbers? I have read in years past about the affects of hard winters on deer numbers in other states and it seems that CA's '22-23 winter would qualify as a harsher than normal winter. Clearly deer, and other animals, are suited for harsh weather but it seems that when a season is significantly harsher than most years it can have a negative impact on numbers. My sons and I are already starting to kick around where to apply come this next draw and this is definitely a factor for us to consider.

I think that more so applies to northern states like Utah, Idaho, Mt, Wy and so on. I know parts of Utah have got over 700" of snow in the mountains and there is sitting snow in the valley, that is disastrous.

Our deer can drop below snow line to feed without issue.

Reactions: sportyg
I can't imagine that this year's winter would be anything but advantageous to the wildlife in this region. There's more food out there now than there has been in many years. I expect there'll be a population explosion. Whether any of them make it to a decent age over the next couple of years will depend on whether this year's winter was a fluke or not. A good string of wet winters would be a boon.

I can't imagine that this year's winter would be anything but advantageous to the wildlife in this region. There's more food out there now than there has been in many years. I expect there'll be a population explosion. Whether any of them make it to a decent age over the next couple of years will depend on whether this year's winter was a fluke or not. A good string of wet winters would be a boon.
There will be no population explosion without proper management. Two deer limit and rifle hunts during the rut... Mother Nature can't compete with that.

Water is good for wildlife... deep snow, not so much. Ed F

I think that more so applies to northern states like Utah, Idaho, Mt, Wy and so on. I know parts of Utah have got over 700" of snow in the mountains and there is sitting snow in the valley, that is disastrous.

Our deer can drop below snow line to feed without issue.
Utah fish and game are having to feed the deer up north

Reactions: 180ls1
This weather won't hurt the deer populations, mt lions, coyotes, and bobcats however are a big problem. They all take out the fawns, the lions and yotes take out adults and fawns.

Reactions: Hollowpoint

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu